U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 PM

15 posts, read 26,920 times

Advertisements

I am a 50 plus single man moving to NO for work...am from Colorado and getting transferred...having visited for a short period of time, I am at a lack for resources on where to find a place to live (other then that site that a guy named craig started) and will be moving to NO in mid October..I am thinking of the Metairie area, but like so many other threads on here, it seems as though rent is thru the roof.

I have no kids but have a large lab, discovering that NO rentals don't seem to be dog friendly.

So, some questions;

1. What are some resources to find a house to rent?
2. What can I expect to pay for rent for a 2 bedroom?
3. Are utilities high?
4. If I look at the Northshore, is rent less and is the commute a killer?
5. Are there alot of parks, biking trails, etc?

That's a good start...any help you can offer would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
Where will the job be?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 26,920 times
Default thanks for responding...

the job will be in Metairie...but will be doing alot of driving around NO.

your thoughts?

Thanks!!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 PM

239 posts, read 550,751 times
My fiance and I moved to The Creeks of River Ridge (very close to Metairie) and we're very pleased. I've been selling this place pretty heavily to people who are OK with living in the suburbs; it's reasonably priced (probably around 750 for a 1BR), well-maintained, and pet friendly. Here's a link: New Orleans Apartments by 1st Lake Properties
There are a ton of [i]beautiful[i] parks and bike trails in the city and it only takes about 10 - 15 minutes to get there (give or take depending on traffic). I was very pleasantly surprised with the natural beauty of New Orleans.
Utilities aren't that bad, but I'm used to NY prices, so you might take that with a grain of salt.
I wouldn't recommend the Northshore because of the commute. I've heard most people who live there decided to do so for the better schools which isn't a concern for you.
Good luck on your search!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,959 times
1.) www.nola.com is a great place to start. I think there are more ads in the actual paper and not the paper's online edition, but it still gives you an idea of the prices. My brother moved to New Haven, Conn and got scammed by people on Craigslist, don't put too much stake in it.

2.) This depends on your tastes. In the city you can maybe get away with $1,000 or less, but there are more expensive spots of course. To me if you want the real New Orleans experience, why pay for a modern gated condo for $2,000 when you can get an old house for $900 in a real neigborhood. It may not be in perfect shape but this city is world class because it's funky, not in spite of it. Uptown is the best neighborhood if you want a lively residential area right smack in the city. But Uptown is huge, the sub-areas vary of course.

3.) Entergy is a thieving company! I used to live in Lafayette, Louisiana and they had a public utilities company that was affordable; unfortunately, New Orleans utilities are neither public nor a great deal. I don't want to quote or guesstimate a figure on a 2 BR house, I just don't know that answer. My parents have a 4 BR and they haven't "gotten around" to making the house energy efficient, cool air seeps out the bottom of the house like crazy. I won't tell you how much they pay since it wouldn't reflect you and would probably scare you away. Wish I could help you more with this one. I don't think utilities are awful but they're not a great value.

4.) I wouldn't want to drive 40+ minutes from Mandeville to Metairie but if you wanna go ahead. Mandeville is not cheap, it's not quite a secret anymore. It's gotten to be a giant piney strip mall subdivision suburb. If you go further out, maybe Covington or Abita Springs, yes the rent will go down but tack on another 15-20 minutes and more pain in the a$$ traffic. I like the Northshore a lot but I couldn't justify commuting. If you're Uptown the "reverse commute" to Metairie isn't nearly as bad as vice versa. I used to do that and laugh at the other side of the interstate.

5.) I don't know where you are specifically in Colorado but I can imagine the change to down here would be rough in the outdoors department. For one, we're totally flat, below sea level in most spots. Uptown is extremely walkable, I love to jog on St. Charles Avenue and take in all the sights. Bike paths per se don't exactly exist on the street, but the Mississippi Riverfont (river road) has miles of paths that run along the levee. Audubon Park and City Park are both very large and have nature walks. In defense of the Northshore there is a really nice bike path known as the Tammany Trace that traverses the entire area. But like all other suburbs there's a huge car culture, you cant walk and bike everywhere like Uptown. You won't hike up foothills and enjoy the solitude of nature here, but if you have an open mind you'll adapt. And if you're really missing the nature experience, Tunica Hills is 2 hours away. I make a monthly pilgrimage there, it's GORGEOUS.

Good luck with everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans