Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 13,043 times

Advertisements

I am from a small Florida town and will be graduating college soon. I've been in this small town my whole life and am looking forward to moving to a bigger city. I'll be moving alone with my 2 year old son. New Orleans, along with Baton Rouge, Atlanta, and Athens are some of the cities that i'm considering. Really, i'm just looking for a city with something to do: not too pricey, arts, museums, good food, entertainers (plays, music, sports, etc), but a city that still has that country feel!

How is New Orleans post-Katrina? Any info on crime, housing prices, and just quality of life would be greatly appreciated, and so would info on any of the other cities!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,230,555 times
New Orleans is like a European City. The "old feel" of the city is quite nice.
New Orleans has its drawbacks. They are many, but it would be worth overcoming. That city is special but
it is whacky. You'd have to deal with Mardi Gras every year. You may or may not understand the implications of that.
Consider it a warning/heads up. If you do consider New Orleans try to move "uptown"
Also, Jazz Fest every year is somewhat like another "mardi gras all over again" as far as
tons of people invading the city. Traffic wise it is a nightmare. Those are just two events.
There are many more (french quarter fest, essense, voodoo fest)

My point is that is a party city, 24/7... just sayin'

Baton Rouge, the State Capitol... is a bit more of a redneck, country come to town kind of place.
LSU is in Baton Rouge. Let me put it to you this way, the team is undefeated and many fans want
to fire the coach. Yea. Lame. I don't suggest Baton Rouge. Too many uberconservative and religious
whackjobs for my taste. You may like those folks. To each their own. Consider it a heads up,
either way. Traffic isn't fun in Baton Rouge on a daily basis.

Lafayette is a place you might consider. It has more of a laid back vibe, and a lot going on for a small city.
You'd have less traffic to deal with on a day to day basis, and those other two cities would be close by.

I lived in Florida for nearly a decade. It was nice.

Last edited by SacalaitWhisperer; 10-07-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 AM

30 posts, read 80,045 times
and so would info on any of the other cities!

Thanks[/quote]

How about moving to Orlando, FL. Big city, tons of jobs, cost of living reasonable, lots to do with a 2 year old.
NO has more cons then pros considering your situation.
I miss Florida, and hoping to move once we are done here.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Hmm, i've never considered Orlando! I'll look into what that city has to offer.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:10 PM

4,858 posts, read 7,568,269 times
I like N.O. more, but Athens is one of my favorite towns. Suprisingly cheap, the most inexpensive college town I've ever been to.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,533,176 times
Orlando has a 12% unemployment rate -- I don't think it would have any more jobs than N.O.
Anyways. What are you graduating in? What do you have to spend on apartments or housing? Have you ever visited here before? Are you looking to be in the city itself or a nearby suburb?
To try to answer some of your questions...crime is a problem here, but most of it is not random. I have never felt in danger, but I am also used to living in urban areas and am lucky enough to afford to live in a nice neighborhood. There is always something to do here. A strong art and food scene. Some of it is very much on the surface, but alot of it you have to work to find a little bit. I like that. A fair amount of museums -- N.O.MA, WWII, Childrens, Ogden, et cetera. This can be a hard place to live in, but nothing worth doing is ever easy. If this city wasn't worth it, this many people wouldn't have worked so hard to save it. Oh, and the best group of people I have ever known.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:49 PM

30 posts, read 80,045 times
NO is nice, but so are tons of other cities in America that have an interesting life. If you are sure, you really need to experience the "European feel", the food, the museums; the shops, the architecture - then go for it ... To me , its not really worth the price for the feel/ culture. Too many problems and too slow..

The city looks so nice that you start thinking is crime really possible here? However...My three year old goes to school in a nice and beautiful area in Uptown, where two random rapes / robberies just recently occured.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:07 PM

I'll actually be working in law enforcement, as a probation officer. So the overall crime rates of the city doesn't scare me, as long as I can find a safe and affordable neighborhood to live in. I'll probably be looking to rent. Anything over $1000 is pushing it. I would be willing to live in a nearby suburb if I knew more about them.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,002,278 times
Well you can find a nice, older place with charm and character for under $1,000. Check out www.nola.com. If you live in the city I'd want to be in Uptown, maybe Mid-City but it is a "patchy" neighborhood in terms of safety. If you're willing to live in nearby suburbs I would suggest Metairie or Old Jefferson. The rent with will cheaper and the public schools are good..enough. This city is doing a lot better since Katrina for the most part, I mean there is more economic opportunity here than most cities in the U.S. Unemployment is low. But this progress comes at a price, and that price manifests itself with cost of living. Yes, it is more expensive to live Uptown. But Metairie is still mostly cheap, and Mid-City is cheap because it's "up and coming". Good luck with everything.

PS.. of your suburbs, I would avoid St. Bernard Parish and the Westbank. Just trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans