U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 05:38 PM

311 posts, read 709,111 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds like a silly question, and it's well in advance, but I'm just wondering what folks around here usually do for Mardi Gras. I plan on going to a parade or two (suggestions on the "best" would be appreciated), but other than that, I'm kind of clueless. I'd love some suggestions from yall who have been doing it for a while. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
You have to check the days and routes of parades that will be between your work, grocery, and home. Plan your trips around the schedules, as you will not be able to cross a parade any time near before or after it. When I lived 1 block off Veteran's Blvd, I had to be very careful as my groceries were all blocked by parades, as was Lakeside. The traffic is a mess, with people coming to the parades. It was fun to just walk a block and see the parades, but it was not fun having my life interrupted for 10 days. I worked downtown, too.

A lot of long-time residents used to go skiing then.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You have to check the days and routes of parades that will be between your work, grocery, and home. Plan your trips around the schedules, as you will not be able to cross a parade any time near before or after it. When I lived 1 block off Veteran's Blvd, I had to be very careful as my groceries were all blocked by parades, as was Lakeside. The traffic is a mess, with people coming to the parades. It was fun to just walk a block and see the parades, but it was not fun having my life interrupted for 10 days. I worked downtown, too.

A lot of long-time residents used to go skiing then.
This is not true, I don't know of one grocery store that you can't get to during a parade in Metairie. Same as lakeside mall, the traffic may be bad but you can still get around if you know how to use the back streets.

busta

Old 10-10-2010, 07:07 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,217,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
I know this sounds like a silly question, and it's well in advance, but I'm just wondering what folks around here usually do for Mardi Gras. I plan on going to a parade or two (suggestions on the "best" would be appreciated), but other than that, I'm kind of clueless. I'd love some suggestions from yall who have been doing it for a while. Thanks
Talk to your neighbors and get advice and suggestions from them. Depending on where you live, the parades and drunks can be a big pain in the backside.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,331,678 times
Just make sure that you know where the parade routes are. You're going to have to plan your life around them for about a month or two depending on where you live. Pick up a Mardi Gras guide from a local grocery or drug store and plan out what you want to see and do. Many people go on vacation during that time and many of those who stay avoid the tourist areas and events. The "local" mardi gras and the "tourist" mardi gras are two different things.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:31 PM

104 posts, read 435,921 times
people tend to "get together" for this stuff, so if you've made friends by then, go with them since they will know about routes, parking, etc

also, people tend to go to the same areas year after year, so that will vary (uptown vs metairie, or even westbank earlier in the season),
but generally the "super krewes" roll from uptown down to Canal (street),
we tend to go uptown around the garden district on mardi gras day, so you can catch most of the big parades of the day. this is the typical mardi gras for locals--get there early, have few drinks, catch some beads, then go home before night fall. this is also the kid-friendly side of MG. the tourist side of MG is down in the quarter. enter at your own risk.

I think nola.com has a pretty good guide if I recall

here it is:
Mardi Gras New Orleans | Parade News, Party Pictures, Videos & more - NOLA.com

Old 10-11-2010, 03:53 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,959 times
If you live anywhere close to a parade route, what you do for Mardi Gras is invite everyone you know to eat, drink and have a good time. Things get really intense from Friday night until the actual Tuesday of Mardi Gras (long weekend of revelry!). Some people don't even venture out to the parades, they just enjoy family and friends on their porch with cold beer and hot gumbo, so long as they can hear the cheering and the marching bands.

As for which parades to check out, I have the most experience in the city and not the suburbs. You MUST check out Endymeon (Mid-City, Saturday evening), Bacchus (Uptown, Sunday), Orpheus (Uptown, Monday) and if you're still kicking get up early Mardi Gras day and check out Zulu/Rex on the Uptown route. Mardi Gras night at midnight the NOPD clear the streets of die-hard partiers in the French Quarter and the giant cleanup begins, another interesting site to see.

Daily life of course is totally disrupted during Mardi Gras; the only way you can have any organization is by the getting a Times-Picayune and studying each parade route, and even then, you have surpises. The floats and bands still have to line up, and that could be a mile down a street that wasn't on the route map.. more headache!

Hopefully you can take the long weekend off work and really enjoy yourself, one way or another. No one is "too old" for Mardi Gras. As a kid you go to catch beads and stuffed animals with your family. As a teenager you go to drink on the street and not get caught and kiss a bunch of pretty girls. As a young adult you party on but this time you're allowed to bar hop. As a parent or grandparent you go to show your kids a good time and catch up with family and friends. Enjoy Mardi Gras 2011!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:03 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
The Corps of Napoleon in Metairie has a gorgeous parade. Go early to Lakeside Mall, eat, party, and wait.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 PM

67 posts, read 155,429 times
We used to live on the route in Metairie. That was fun. We had friends over almost every night for two weeks leading up to MG day. Now that we live further away we do try to see Krewe du Vieux when we can. Krewe du Vieux We found a spot on Decatur to have a few drinks before the parade and it's not very crowded where we go. That's really the only one we attempt to see. I can do without crowds, parking issues, lines, high prices for booze, etc. Call me Scrooge.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM

310 posts, read 768,670 times
We have great friends Uptown who have had the same spot along St Charles for years. My first year here, we joined them for nearly every parade except Endymion (watched it at the start in Mid City by Delgado) and Bacchus - it was my first year living here, we got the hotel room and had the whole weekend experience. We normally park at McDonogh 65 ($15) and walk. To this day, almost 6 years later, we have the same spot on St Charles and park at McDonogh 65. Downtown is nuts. I don't think I'll ever do it again, with the exception of Mardi Gras "day" it's a different vibe. My hubs is now a member of Bacchus so we go to the ball at the Convention Center, but that's as close as I'll get to downtown during that time. My best friend is a member of Krewe du Vieux and I'd suggest that as a starter, at the very least it's hilarious. Later on in the Carnival season, Krewe d'Etat is a favorite of ours for political satire and Muses is always incredible.

Fury, you're not a Scrooge. I get more and more angry every year; especially when random people decide it's okay to steal the ladders of a group of 3-6 year olds and steal the spots for themselves (last year). It gets worse and worse. My friends have been in the same spot for 15 years, no problems until last year. The kids were crushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans