U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 7,332 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would really appreciate some help!

My family is considering trying out New Orleans for a year to see if it is the place for us. We are myself, my husband and our ten month old baby. We have visited before and liked it very much, but there is only so much a vacation visit will tell you, so:

Can you please advice us as to areas?

We like walking to restaurants, parks, and simply strolling around. We want peace and quiet and privacy, yet we like friendly, open minded neighbors to chat with and maybe even have a drink with. We love architecture and design and would preferably like to live in a beautiful area, regarding both houses, nature, parks etc. We would love somewhere that has interesting shops, houses and other things to look at within walking distance. As I am currently home with the baby I have lots of free time to walk around with her.

We are, as parents, of course concerned with safety but not unrealistically so.

If anyone can recommend a nice area or two, I would appreciate it very much!

Oh, our budget is preferably under 2000 for 2 bedrooms but for the perfect place we can be a little flexible. Since we work at home, commuting is not an issue.

Thank you!
Johanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,959 times
$2,000 should give you access to about anything, save a large house. Nice, nice apartments could be gotten for less than that. The Uptown area sounds most like the area you desire. It is in the city, in fact only 10 minutes from the French Quarter but it's its own city in many ways. There some areas that are not so good there, but it's a huge area. Tulane and Loyola Univerisities are there side by side, there is the beautiful Audubon Park/Zoo, the historic Garden District with its gorgeous mansions... Uptown is gentrifying in its own New Orleans way by improving the quality of life and the climate of business while retaining its historic charm. Within city limits it's bound to be the most family friendly place in the city. I know you said you have a baby so school isn't an issue yet, but the Lusher school district is one of the finest in the state, and its K-12. If you're in that neighborhood no need for private school.

Magazine Street spans some 60 blocks and has businesses on over 90% of them. The vibe changes from hipster and "up and coming" from its beginnings (think clothing consignment stores and bar/restaurants) and becomes totally posh (think Whole Foods and expensive clothing stores) near its end. St. Charles Avenue is the favorite spot of joggers and people taking a stroll, since the endless oak trees provide shade, and the views of the Park, mansions and the streetcar never end. Uptowners are found to be a little superior to some, but many others find them open and delightfully eccentric compared to the suburbs.

In terms of safety, anywhere can be "3 blocks good", "3 blocks bad", but in general the following street boundaries are pretty much a safe haven (and other places outside this are often fine as well): Magazine Street as southern border north to St. Charles as the northern border.. beginning at Audubon Park (west) stretching all the way to Washington Avenue (east). That's shaped like a long rectangle on the map. Good luck!!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,211 times
for $2000 here in new orleans u can get a 4 bedroom house with big yard and all the works! Harrahan is very nice and certain spots on the westbank (gretna,harvey area only!) i live on the westbank....u can go to nola.com and look at prices of houses/apartments!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,973,018 times
Harahan is not New Orleans. Neither is Gretna or Harvey. You can get a ranch in Wyoming for $100, but people aren't standing in line to live out there.

Open minded neighbors, walk to restaurants and parks, beautiful architecture...you are not going to find that in any of the suburbs of New Orleans.

With that budget, Uptown is where you want to be. The area immediately around Audubon Park (and more so on the downriver side) is one of the nicest in the city. Very safe, lots of shade, beautiful victorian houses, access to the park, close to Magazine and the St. Charles streetcar. I would look there first and then maybe expand your search up the river toward Carrolltton Ave. and downriver toward Napolean Ave.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,353,383 times
Yeah, as much as I like to pump Mid-City, if you can afford 2k a month you can live basically anywhere you want, and for many people that means Uptown. My parents live a block from Audubon park and charge 1600 for a very large 2br on their third floor. 2k will get you some very nice digs, especially if you only need 2br.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:49 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,973,018 times
Just realized how old this thread was. This lady already moved to Sarasota, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or