Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

When I was young I developed a fascination for the Crescent City. All I wanted to do, most of my life was live there.

In 1984, I got a job with the World's Fair and lived in New Orleans for a year while I worked there.

It wasn't what I expected.

I didn't like it.

Being as you are coming from San Fransisco, perhaps you can deal with the "big city" atmosphere better than I did. Maybe you can deal with the "diversity", I couldnt. I did not like the crime. I lived in fear a lot, which I not like me, and not fun.

The best thing, of course is the food and the music and the historical significance of the area.

But it wasn't enough for me. I hope that you are not too disappointed.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mennen6 View Post
There are many listings, some are as honest as showing pictures of a studio with its ceiling still in disarray, and walls covered by mildew and the ad said: STUDIO APT AS IS FOR $400.00.

That is a total lie and who ever showed you them pis are not being truthful.

Also, if you are looking in the $400 range you will get trash. But not ceilings in disarray and walls covered in mold. Quit posting trash about what you don't know.

busta

Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 AM

310 posts, read 854,757 times
mennen, I always tell people that it is the worst idea ever to find a place online, leave behind everything (and have nothing to go back to), and blindly move to New Orleans. Come for a long visit to look at housing and get a feel for the job market. You also need to get a "feel" for the city to see where you'd be most comfortable. I understand a trip like that is not affordable to many; however, you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't do so. It's worth the extra trip to avoid getting scammed, being lured into a rental in a bad area because you didn't see it upfront, or moving and not being able to find a job.

$400 won't get you anything decent; even in the suburbs. A realistic rent for a decent place runs around $1000; however, I've seen people report finding places much lower but that takes being here, driving around, and calling landlords. Don't rely on Craigslist.

I see too many people who move out of "love for New Orleans" then get here only to realize it's not the city they saw as a tourist and, worst case, can't find a job in their field. You shouldn't have a problem finding a hotel job as long as you're willing to work any position and work your way back up to management.

As I told another poster, I'm not trying to keep you from moving to New Orleans. Having new residents is always a wonderful thing. I just hate to see people get blindsided by the realities of living here - especially the financial realities.

Last edited by Pook77; 10-30-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 10:58 PM

13 posts, read 38,068 times
Best to go down and visit for a couple of weeks. There are some areas concentrated with illegal's. Stay away from "Fat City" area to live in. That area is next to the Lakeside Mall. Most of Metairie is great, it's just a few certain areas that seem to be crawling with sketchy people. River Ridge is a great place but more expensive, I think than Metairie. Kenner is not a great idea. It's better than being 60 or more miles away from New Orleans, but there are better places. Definitely not the west bank/New Orleans East. There are some great areas in New Orleans itself but prices will be higher. Metairie seems so perfect b/c it's higher in elevation but right on the outskirts of New Orleans so you get to save money on housing. There are so many great neighborhoods in Metairie. When my family and I get to move back, that's where we will be moving. Hopefully in the 70001 or 70003 zip code, close to Lafreniere Park.

So, just remember: Metairie, Metairie, Metairie! :-)

Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 PM

13 posts, read 38,068 times
And New Orleans truly embraces her people. A lot of people there make a great living. A lot of people make a modest living. Some, make a horrible living. It's mostly about your own personal drive and aspirations. The great thing about New Orleans is options. You will make great friends that will become your family and will support you through thick and thin during your life's journey's. People there don't live to work- they work to live. Enjoying your life and having fun and loving relationships with your fellow citizens is what the foundation is in New Orleans. The togetherness.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 AM

310 posts, read 854,757 times
Kenner and Metairie both have their fair share of shady people and shady areas to live in. Metairie has more upscale areas than Kenner and makes it look a bit shinier; however, there are nice places to live in both cities - the ordeal is affording the nicer places. I will say that Kenner has more slum areas now than before the storm. It was a much nicer place to live then.

While the suburbs are an integral part of the New Orleans area, the lifestyle is that of bustling families and rush hour traffic to get into the city. Chain restaurants and big box stores - not unlike suburbia anywhere else. You'll find a few things uniquely New Orleans out here and, of course, you're only an 8-15 mile drive from the heart of it all, depending on where you're at. Suburban life is not something I'd recommend to a single newcomer. Maybe a family but not a single person.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Personally, if you plan to pay 600/mo. whew !!!; you will need a roommate or will be in a dump; even $700, which includes utilities, you'll need a roommate. I would elect to live on the Eastbank. Algiers, Marrero, and Gretna are on the Westbank...........The immediate suburbs on the Eastbank 10 minutes from downtown N.O. are on Jefferson Hwy., Metairie, Old Metairie. These are the safest areas, I feel. I have lived here since 1984 and am a lifelong resident of these surronding areas. Good Luck, N.O. is not a safe city , but the new Police Chief, Serpas, is working on it.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When I was young I developed a fascination for the Crescent City. All I wanted to do, most of my life was live there.

In 1984, I got a job with the World's Fair and lived in New Orleans for a year while I worked there.

It wasn't what I expected.

I didn't like it.

Being as you are coming from San Fransisco, perhaps you can deal with the "big city" atmosphere better than I did. Maybe you can deal with the "diversity", I couldnt. I did not like the crime. I lived in fear a lot, which I not like me, and not fun.

The best thing, of course is the food and the music and the historical significance of the area.

But it wasn't enough for me. I hope that you are not too disappointed.

20yrsinBranson
Couldn't deal with the diversity is the reason you lived in fear. That's one of the reasons people love to visit New Orleans. Everyone knows it's not a real dangerous city for law abiding citizens. They also know that the high murder rates can be attributed to violent criminals killing other violent criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans