U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 13,062 times

Advertisements

I am moving to New Orleans early next year, and need to know where it would be safe for a 55+ woman to live alone. I like to walk, love the park, and don't have a car, so I will be using the bus and streetcars a lot, so it needs to be close to public transportation.

I was sort of looking at Algiers, but the rents are too high, and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of people willing to rent rooms in the better parts of the area. The more western parts are cheaper, but there is always a reason for that. Plus, I heard the crime rate has really risen there, especially in Gretna, with drug dealers moving in.

I also looked at the area uptown on Magazine close to Whole Foods (Where you find a Whole Foods, you usually find a pretty safe neighborhood, at least where I"m from). I'd love to be close to a park.

I wouldn't mind living downtown, except that like I said, I love to walk, and I heard it isn't as safe. Please let me know if I'm wrong about that.

I'm looking for something no more than $600 for a 1 br or roommate situation (not including utilities) or a room no more than $700 all included. I find a lot of them on Craigslist, but since I'm not familiar with the city, it's hard for me.

Can you give me some boundaries, maybe streets North-South-East-West or some specific neighborhoods that might be safer and within my budget? It needs to be somewhat quiet as well, because I work at home during the day.

I know I'm asking a lot, and I really plan to move and rent a room beforehand month-to-month so that I can check out the city myself. I would just like to narrow the search. Thank y'all so much. I'm just a GRITS stuck in FL trying to get back to the south. NOLA is my dream city, so I want to spend the rest of my life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 02:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,206,971 times
If you don't have a car and safety is a concern, kiss less than $600 goodbye. That just isn't happening, sorry. I mean if you move to the westbank or Kenner you might find something for that price, but it will be trashy, and you will be helpless without a car. I usually have good news for people but if you want a nice place your budget needs to be $900+

Old 10-24-2010, 06:57 PM

I have seen ads for some decent neighborhoods where people are renting decent rooms for $600 a month. I can't afford $900, so seriously, maybe I won't move to NOLA if that is the way it is.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,206,971 times
Well, there could be rooms somewhere for $600, if you're okay with just a room. I've toured a studio place with all of the things you wanted for $750, but I've never seen $600. I would double-check where the places are located, someone on here will be happy to tell you if that area is safe or not. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:35 PM

310 posts, read 776,533 times
If you find a place that looks interesting to you, let us know the address and we'll try to help. $600 isn't going to get you much and, since utilities in the area are pretty high, all inclusive might not be found. Be careful on Craigslist. The New Orleans forums there are known for big time scammers, especially in housing. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is. As aab said, you might find yourself a ROOM for $600, but probably not your own place, especially in a better neighborhood.

It's difficult for us to suggest a nice, safe place on your budget. You could find something out here in the suburbs for $600 but, without personal transport, that wouldn't be a very feasible option. Again, if you find something, let us know the address. Someone here will definitely let you know if it's a good area or not.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks, but I've pretty much decided that NOLA is not for me right now. Maybe one day, but I can't see myself living in a room for the rest of my life. Heartbreaking, but that's just the way it is. Another dream dead, but what else is new?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 AM

310 posts, read 776,533 times
You may find an exception out there. Don't give up just yet! Keep on looking! We're not trying to kill your dream, we just hate to see people move here then come back here to post saying they're stuck in a bad place and it's made them hate it here!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 PM

145 posts, read 582,526 times
Before you give up on your dream, I would strongly suggest that you come to New Orleans and look for an apartment in person. It seems like a lot of landlords don't advertise their rentals, they just stick a sign on the front lawn. My husband & I came from out of town, and spent a weekend driving around Uptown and the Garden District. Whenever we saw a sign, we called the phone number & asked about the rent. We actually found a few studios on Prytania near Zara's Market for $600-750. They were nice, but we needed something month-to-month & the landlord wanted a longer lease.

I would also suggest posting your own ad on Craigslist in the "Housing Wanted" section. There you can describe what you're looking for and landlords will respond to you. That's actually how I found the place that I've been renting for the past month. It's month-to-month, fully furnished, 1 block from St. Charles for $850.

I think with all the fraud out there, landlords are afraid to post, so you have to be more proactive to find them or let them find you.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM

19,866 posts, read 58,669,580 times
A lot of landlords don't want the tons of calls that an ad brings, many from "lookie-lous" so they only place a sign in the yard. As the above poster said, driving around is a good idea.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,174 times
Hello Forum:

I too have wanted to relocate to NOLA...

Why?

New Orleans was the first city we lived in when we first arrived in the US. Of course, I was a teenager then, and my brother was stationed in Marrero. Unfortunately, my stay there was cut short due to my mother's passing. The year was 1975. The rest of my family returned, but I stayed back home.

I've never set foot in New Orleans since. Through the years, I've lived in New York, Alaska, Utah, and currently, in San Francisco, CA.

My brother himself passed away early this year. Not too long after his death, he popped in my dream, (just as he was in 1975) and told me to go back to New Orleans, to see, explore and enjoy the city, since my stay was such a brief stay. Now, I am not superstitious nor am I creeping you all out, but maybe my brother IS telling me something.

San Francisco had not been very kind, to me personally, that is.

So, for two months now, I have been planning my route (I'll be driving), the cost of my travel, and of course, WHEN I get there. I wanted to say goodbye to this city by the bay and hope that the city of New Orleans would be a bit kinder.

I, too searched Craigslist for housing and jobs. There are many listings, some are as honest as showing pictures of a studio with its ceiling still in disarray, and walls covered by mildew and the ad said: STUDIO APT AS IS FOR $400.00.

I also looked at your "boutique" rental units, with swimming pools, garden, W/D in the buildings, some even offer an exercise room. The asking price for a studio/1 BR is pretty reasonable...starting at @550.00...but I have to pay $25.00 for water, 3rd floor units are cheaper, since its on the "3RD FLOOR", and no lift to take you there. Imagine yourself with 5 bags of groceries, or 3 basketful of washing. Oh, and for $550.00, you get approximately 309 sq. ft. of living space.

Another ad caught my attention: a unit in "downtown" with 800 sq. ft., private yard, 2 BR "half of a wide" (I still don't know what THAT meant), ceiling fans, central air, hardwood floors all around...all for $560.00. Who would not call, right??? Well, I did. Unbeknownst to me that I was talking to a real estate agent. So far so good, right? Until she told me that there is NO STOVE and NO REFRIGERATOR in the unit...I have to supply those myself. When I told her that the unit is not "livable", she told me that she cannot help me because THAT'S ALL YOU'RE GOING TO FIND with THAT PRICE RANGE. However, they have "complete rentals" with stove and refrigerator that starts at $900.00.

So, you see, it gets frustrating and aggravating. Either the pictures you see are tweaked, the location is somewhat questionable, spend an extra amount to supply your kitchen amenities, or if a tv remote control is not a necessity, I am not having any luck apartment hunting from my computer and 2.400 miles away.

I think I will just drive there, stay at a weekly hotel and go..go..go..and see the location myself.

Now, Meteirie or Algiers or Harvey or even Marrero??? What do you think??? Please help me decide....

Jobs: My forte is with the hotel industry, Front Office Management area. What are my chances, since there are just a few listings posted. I am not picky at this point, but I am curious.

Thank you for your time, kind folks. Hope to hear from you and enlighten me....PLEASE....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or