U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 AM

279 posts, read 615,041 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Greetings from Cincinnati, OH. My girlfriend is a teacher here at Cincy Public Schools and she is coming to New Orleans this Wednesday through Saturday for some seminars.

She'll be staying at the Roosevelt Hotel which from what I gather looks pretty sweet! Anyways, I am trying to piece a little information together for her. Things to see/do on downtime after the day, and also good restaurants to eat at. I figure there is no better way to gather info than to ask locals on here. Please let me know of any cool must sees, parks, restaurants, etc! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,142,480 times
We got you covered. The Roosevelt is a sweet hotel, and you're pretty much in the center of it all. The hotel has a coffee shop and bar inside which are both worth it. Since I am a fellow teacher and in my 20's I can give a lot of perspective of doing things on the cheap. First off on Baronne Street (back of Roosevelt) there is the Immaculate Conception Church, I suggest that you check this out. It's a beautiful church with Russian-esque onion domes and a stellar inside. If you see 2 churches in New Orleans it should be that and the St. Louis Cathedral.

Assuming she doesn't have a car, I won't recommend a lot of places far out. A good lunch/afternoon outing would be to cross Canal St. from the hotel and find Decatur Street. Once there, walk down Decatur until you locate Coop's Place. That is my favorite French Quarter restaurant for the price. You can eat great entrees such as Shrimp Creole and Crawfish Etoufee for under $15 and wash it down with an ice cold Abita Beer. While you're there head on down to the French Market and see how locals have shopped since 1718. What once held vegetables and livestock in stalls now has all types of clothing and gifts. A lot of it is knockoff stuff, but hey, I still have my "snake skin" wallet that I bought 3 years ago for $10. On the way back up Decatur go visit St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square and see all of the painters/tarot readers plying their trade.

If she has a few hours of daylight free, it's well worth it to take a ride on the St. Charles Avenue streetcar. Start riding it as it begins on Canal Street, and take it all the way to the end of the line on Carrolton if possible. You will see some of the most beautiful mansions and landscape that is the Uptown area. You will pass Audubon Park, Tulane/Loyola universities, etc. When the car rides to Carrolton, just hop off and hop back on the other side of the track. There is no loop, the tracks ride parallel to one another all the way. If she has time to stop, get off at Washington Ave. in the Garden District and walk around the numbered streets towards the river from St. Charles. These mansions have been bought by many celebs such as Brad and Angelina, Sandra Bullock, Anne Rice, etc.

If there is still more time to explore, I'd say the Magazine Street area is also worth it. Magazine is parallel to St. Charles, not too many blocks away. There are 60 blocks of local unique businesses, mostly clothing shops and restaurants, but there is something for everyone.

If you need more help, ask us!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:20 AM

279 posts, read 615,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
We got you covered. The Roosevelt is a sweet hotel, and you're pretty much in the center of it all. The hotel has a coffee shop and bar inside which are both worth it. Since I am a fellow teacher and in my 20's I can give a lot of perspective of doing things on the cheap. First off on Baronne Street (back of Roosevelt) there is the Immaculate Conception Church, I suggest that you check this out. It's a beautiful church with Russian-esque onion domes and a stellar inside. If you see 2 churches in New Orleans it should be that and the St. Louis Cathedral.

Assuming she doesn't have a car, I won't recommend a lot of places far out. A good lunch/afternoon outing would be to cross Canal St. from the hotel and find Decatur Street. Once there, walk down Decatur until you locate Coop's Place. That is my favorite French Quarter restaurant for the price. You can eat great entrees such as Shrimp Creole and Crawfish Etoufee for under $15 and wash it down with an ice cold Abita Beer. While you're there head on down to the French Market and see how locals have shopped since 1718. What once held vegetables and livestock in stalls now has all types of clothing and gifts. A lot of it is knockoff stuff, but hey, I still have my "snake skin" wallet that I bought 3 years ago for $10. On the way back up Decatur go visit St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square and see all of the painters/tarot readers plying their trade.

If she has a few hours of daylight free, it's well worth it to take a ride on the St. Charles Avenue streetcar. Start riding it as it begins on Canal Street, and take it all the way to the end of the line on Carrolton if possible. You will see some of the most beautiful mansions and landscape that is the Uptown area. You will pass Audubon Park, Tulane/Loyola universities, etc. When the car rides to Carrolton, just hop off and hop back on the other side of the track. There is no loop, the tracks ride parallel to one another all the way. If she has time to stop, get off at Washington Ave. in the Garden District and walk around the numbered streets towards the river from St. Charles. These mansions have been bought by many celebs such as Brad and Angelina, Sandra Bullock, Anne Rice, etc.

If there is still more time to explore, I'd say the Magazine Street area is also worth it. Magazine is parallel to St. Charles, not too many blocks away. There are 60 blocks of local unique businesses, mostly clothing shops and restaurants, but there is something for everyone.

If you need more help, ask us!
Awesome! Thanks for all of the great info, this is such a big help! I'm definitely gonna need to remember to send her off with my camera to get a bunch of pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or