U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 PM

35 posts, read 52,165 times

Advertisements

This will be our firt visit. We will be staying at the intercontinental hotel on St Charles Ave.
Is this a good location? Is it in a safe part of town?
Any suggestions on what to do?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:19 PM

19,865 posts, read 58,000,819 times
It's as safe as anywhere. You don't want to wander around on foot late at night, by yourself, anywhere in the city. You don't want to wander around so drunk you can't think, anywhere, any time. They don't build luxury hotels in bad areas!

Visit the Cathedral on Jackson Sq, the Cabildo and wander around the French Quarter. Try some restaurents, others will chime in with their favorites. Take the streetcar from Canal St. up to Audubon Park, walk through the park to the zoo, and finally take the riverboat back down to the foot of Canal St. Take a bayou cruise. Take a riverboat to the Chalmette Battlefield, tour it and come back on the boat. If you have a car, drive acrooss the river to Jean Lafitte Nat'l Park and take a ranger-guided swamp tour on the elevated walkways. You can go by yourself but you may miss things the ranger will point out. If you have a car, drive up River Rd and visit some of the plantations.

Enjoy!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the tips, My husband and I will be going so I won't be alone. Sounds like so many wonderful things to do. I was reading about crime in the city and actually I got alittle concerned. That is why I asked about that particular hotel, with the walking distance. Something about staying away from Rampart street. We will be there 5 nights so i will have plenty of time to see things and I will take your suggestions. Won't have a car though. I really appreciate your input.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,141,415 times
Rampart can be pretty gritty. You may not understand this now but if you break out a map or when you arrive it will: Canal Street is the main artery of the downtown area and what seperates the French Quarter from the Central Business District/hotel areas. The closer you are to the river the safer the area in terms of Canal Street and the French Quarter. If you walk down Canal away from the river you will eventually encounter a shadier area which starts to rear its head around Rampart Street (Rampart is perpendicular to Canal). That's a good divider for you to remember.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 PM

I will look online and copy a map to see what you are talking about. Don't get me wrong,I am excited about this trip, just don't want to get myself into a bad situation, if you were traveling to my location, close to Youngstown, Ohio, there sure would be a lot of info I could give you like "Don't Go"
So I should not worry about the walk to and from the hotel?
Thanks again for your responses

Old 10-27-2010, 03:17 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,051,775 times
New Orleans isn't Disneyland...its not safe (but any city can be said to be like this)

Stay out of dark areas (areas that aren't blightly lit). In the Quarter, stay on Bourbon (I hate Bourbon), Royal, Chartres, or Decatur (or Bourbon to the river at night)....during the day all of the Quarter is ok. Frenchman St at night is great for music...

Its all very basic common sense for any urban area in America I think...

Old 10-27-2010, 05:06 PM

310 posts, read 769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
New Orleans isn't Disneyland...
Haha! I say this all the time! I thought I was unique but I probably got it from being a poster here.

The people who I say "this ain't Disneyland" to don't educate themselves before coming or think they're in just another amusement park and that we're not a real city.

I lived in Youngstown for a short period of time and, personally, I think the bad areas there are just as bad as here. In fact, I'm still more afraid of Youngstown than I ever was of New Orleans. Maybe it's because there's so much abandoned stuff around Youngstown. Just use your street sense and you'll be fine. Your hotel is in a pretty busy area, I wouldn't worry about walking. If you feel unsafe late at night and find yourself far away, just take a cab. They're plentiful and most establishments have no problem calling one for you.

There are more areas outside the Quarter than inside that I'd give you the "don't go," but if you're staying in the Quarter, just keep in lighted areas and don't find yourself walking alone, even if you're with other visitors. aab's street advice is pretty much the gold standard for the Quarter.

People working in the area are normally really good with helping you out. Just ask! Residents of the Quarter and/or people working there definitely know best.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 AM

I'm taking note of all your suggestions. I've tried looking up on other sites and cannot find truthfully information. Just like the cheer leaders of Youngstown Ohio will tell you about all the wonderful things happening in the downtown area like the Cavelli center with all the first class events, well let me tell you that may be true but just trying to get to the downtown area you will be taking your life in your hands. Sure once your there the police presence is in full swing but the areas you will be traveling through,have no police to help you, God forbid your car breaks down in these areas.
I think we will use a cab to be on the safe side. Like you kind people have said this is a city, not Disneyland. Just wished I would have booked a hotel right on the main streets, so no walking was involved.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:49 AM

640 posts, read 1,058,570 times
Your hotel is on St. Charles, pretty much a main street. Surrounded by other hotels, fancy restaurants, and offices. It's about a 2 minute walk to the French Quarter. Walking around there is perfectly safe, there are always other people walking around. Like the other poster said, just stay on that side of Rampart (which, there isn't much to do on the other side anyway) and you'll be fine.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,791 times
Hi! I just came back from New Orleans a few weeks ago and had a great time. We were originally booked to stay at the Intercontintental but they were overbooked and we moved to LePavillion which is within walking distance... both Hotels were very nice & the location we felt safe. For Food I suggest Mother's - it is within walking distance from your hotel. We also liked ACME too, they had great oysters & I don't even like oysters! We also took an overall tour on our 2nd day with Isabelle Tours - they were outstanding and gave us many suggestions for what to do, see, & eat. We also booked a swamp tour through Cajun Encounters, they picked us up at the hotel and were great! We basically got a second tour and got to see a lot more of the city that we didn't see with Isabelle. Our last day we went to WW11 Museum, this museum was very impressive and affordable. We also went to Pat Obriens for a famous hurricane, did a haunted night tour, went down to the riverfront, & went to Jackson Square... Their was soo much to see & do. We both had an amazing time and 4 days was not long enough to see all we wanted to see!!! Have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or