U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,569 times

Advertisements

I am moving to new orleans and have been looking at a place on the 800 block of spain st. how safe is this area? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 10,771 times
According to last night's news reports, the violence is spreading, so fewer neighborhoods are "safe" these days.

The 800-block of Spain Street is located in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood which has seen its share of violence in the past few years. It's located just below the French Quarter, and the 800-block of Spain is in the area bounded by Royal Street, Franklin Ave., St. Claude Ave., and Elysian Fields Ave. It's an old neighborhood with charming houses and buildings with not much space for parking.

You could contact businesses in the area and inquire about the violence, or contact the Faubourg Marigny Improvement Association. Check out their website: Moderator cut: not allowed yet
Like most places, the Marigny has its good points and its bad. Most of the people living there love it, they work hard to make it safe, and to keep its eclectic feel, as well as honor the history of the area.

Moderator cut: read TOS to see why
Just wanted to add that about four months (Christmas) and six months (Mardi Gras) after Hurricane Katrina and the flooding, I passed through the Marigny in the area you are inquiring about and the neighborhood was lively, lots of cars parked in the streets, and the houses appeared untouched from flood waters, however, across St. Claude Ave., it was a different story. The neighborhoods were empty, no one in sight. That area is a bit lower, so they must have had some street flooding (most of the houses are raised) although some ground level businesses appeared damaged. St. Roch Cemetery had flooding but was open by the time I went in December. The heavier flooding occurred closer to the Industrial Canal and below it into St. Bernard Parish.

Contact the Improvement Association, I'm sure they can give you specifics about the flooding in that area.
Hope this helps somewhat.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-02-2010 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: added about the flooding

Old 11-10-2010, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,439 times
Default Great Area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer83 View Post
I am moving to new orleans and have been looking at a place on the 800 block of spain st. how safe is this area? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
I moved to NOLA from Atlanta about a year ago; at first we rented an apt. in the Quarter. Then bought a house in April in the 800 block of Marigny St., two blocks East of Spain St. I absolutely LOVE it here. Close enough to the Quarter towalk/bike and enjoy everything there without having to live with the noise, very short walk to the bars and restaurants on Frenchman St. & Franklin...and the neighborhood is just awesome, in general -eclectic, lots of interesting people, artists, musicians....I am in love

As far as safety, we haven't had any problems here so far at all. Nothing. In Atlanta I had a ridiculous amount of crime touch my life, and I lived in a really nice neighborhood! Of course no place is crime-free, but so far I have found this area to be pretty safe....just exercise the usual cautions you would anyplace else. For example, a neighbor recently had his laptop stolen; he left his front door open and left it on a chair right by the door. Well...duh.

Wherever you move, try to stay to the River side of St. Claude, and definitely stay below N. Claiborne. In my experience, it's above these streets that the majority of the 'crazy' crimes you hear about happen. There are some dangerous areas up there.You will learn that here in New Orleans the safer areas and the dangerous areas are very interspersed, you'll learn what blocks are "good", etc...800 block of Spain is a "good block" in my opinion.

In addition, as far as flooding during Katrina, I am pretty sure that there was no flooding on that block of Spain. If there was, it was like an inch of water. My block had no flooding and I am almost certain the 800 block of Spain is at the same level.

Best of luck with your move!

EDIT: Even though I have lived here only 8 months, my statement that Marigny is a generally safe neighborhood in my opinion is also based on the input of friends and neighbors who are longterm residents of this neighborhood...

Last edited by lenablue; 11-10-2010 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: it's late and i'm tired...........................

Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 AM

1,753 posts, read 3,264,380 times
Quote:
Safe neighborhood?
Not in my opinion, as a long time resident. AlexaK's post is correct and should be helpful to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans