U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,339,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You stated that Houston is very white and mexican when that is far from the truth.
Houston Proper had estimated 2,000,000 people in 2009. 1,300,000 of that 2 million identified themselves as white. 500,000 thousand identify themselves as Black. Now here's the catch. of that combined 1,800,000 (Black and White), 700,000 of them identify as Hispanic. That leaves 1,100,000 people who are Non-Hispanic White or Black. Basically Houston proper is 42% Hispanic (77% of whom are Mexican), 28% Non-Hispanic White and 22% Non-Hispanic Black.

70% of Houston proper is White and or Hispanic.

Quote:
You see way more diversity in Houston then you do in New Orleans. Like I stated at first glance if one were to visit New Orleans.
In both cities you see Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics at first glance.

Quote:
Outside of French Quarter(as I have many MANY times) the real N.O. one would see nothing but BLACKS and WHITES. A few vietnamese here n there(I've been to baby Vietnam in the N.O.) a few and I mean very few hispanics.
You lost me here given that on the average night the French Quarter is filled with mostly White people and in my opinion, one of the lesser "ethnically" diverse areas of the city proper. Honestly, you have to see the real diversity and demographics here and by the "real" New Orleans I'm referring to much more than The East and Lower 9th Ward, which are really the only parts of the city that rival Metairie interms of polarization. Even then there are Whites, Hispanics, and Asians spread across the East.

Quote:
If one would come to Houston you would see a little bit of everything. Now you say the majority of hispanics in New Orleans aren't mexican. the largest hispanic population New Orleans has still isn't more then the less populated hispanic ethnic group in Houston.
I personally haven't seen anything in Houston that I haven't seen in New Orleans in some form. Why don't you break it down to me exactly what it is that I can see there demographic wise that I won't see here.

Houston is 5 times bigger than New Orleans so it is perfectly logical for the raw numbers be 3-5 times bigger for Houston than New Orleans. On the other hand look at that same data percentage-wise and see how close a lot of the demographics are per capita.

New Orleans is only 4.7% Hispanic and only 30% of them are Mexican. Houston outnumbers New Orleans in terms of Hispanics by raw numbers, but there are few if any Hispanic groups that are represented in Houston that aren't represented in New Orleans.

Quote:
You know how many non mexican hispanics I meet in this city? I'm talking about everyday and it's not hard to walk and bump into one.
Probably just as many as I meet here. Three of my closer friends are Hispanic and are each of a different ethnicity (non of which happens to be Mexican).

Quote:
You know how many Central America license plates I see in Houston?
If you had of said Mexican license plates I would have said ok, as I've seen several in Houston. I see Mexican plates in Louisiana, but not as much as in Texas. But I can only imagine how may people drive from places like Nicarargua and Honduras to the United States on a regular basis. Hmm, maybe I should plan a road trip to the Panama Canal. Hell, I might as well keep going and head on down to Rio de Janeiro orSão Paulo.

Quote:
Not to mention when were speaking city proper and metro in Houston it really doesn't matter because the burbs commute in between the city so often. On average I probably see more blacks and hispanics in Houston then I do mexican and white.
When I'm in Houston this is what I see: I mostly see Hispanics and Whites unless I'm in a predominantly Black area. When I see Blacks not in a predominatly Black area, they're scattered among Hispanics and Whites. Then I see the Asians and West Africans.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:26 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,968,712 times
closed for mod review - this is not the Houston forum

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or