Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,950 times

Advertisements

I Like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
In a way, New Orleans is the NYC of the South. They don't call it the Big Easy for nothing (a reference to the Big Apple). They are both unique, urban, compact cities with amazing cultural value. In terms of business and population, no we are not the New York of the South. But, in terms of feel, culture, civic pride, we are definitely the NYC of the South. I've always used that comparison when talking about NOLA. We are New York, but instead of high-rises everywhere, we have creole architecture everywhere. We have the urban quality that every other city in the South doesn't have. Therefore, we really are the NYC of the South. We are a city with culture, history, walkability, etc. Sure, we may have faults, but so did New York in the 80's.

There is a famous quote by Mark Twain:

"In America, there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."

I like to substitute Houston to give it a more modern feel.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,206 times
I've lived in Houston and New Orleans and have been to NY quite a few times.

Houston is nothing like New York and never will be.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post

Houston is nothing like New York and never will be.
and thank goodness it never will be!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Houston as NY of the south? Not at all. New Orleans once was a major immigration city just as San Francisco and NY. There's cultural diversity due to that fact alone which gives it the edge over Houston.
New York of the south IS New Orleans.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 PM

38 posts, read 91,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I guess what I meant by my question was if NYC and New Orleans are the same as "everyone is welcome here" sort of thing. In NYC, it feels like everyone is welcome there (it's NYC!). I was wondering about New Orleans, if it's the NYC of the South...
As somone who recently moved from NYC to NO I can say I haven't been made to feel unwelcome but the social vibe is completely different. The vast majority of people I meet here are from NO or the surrounding areas. People will ask "Where did you go to school?" By school they mean high school. I think it makes the social circles here closed and cliquey.

NYC's economy/business climate draws people from around the country. The city is filled with young professionals with open social circles (no one passes up the chance to network). In this regard NYC is far more "welcoming" than NO.

This isn't to say people in NO aren't friendly, just the opposite, strangers are much friendlier to passers by here. It's just so much easier to break into transient social circles in NYC than in NO where everyone has known everyone else for years and years.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,203 times
I am from New Orleans but now live in NY state. Growing up there in the 70's & 80's, I always heard Atlanta being called "The NY City of the South." Houston, to me, is basically one big Metairie (N.O. suburb).

Old 11-08-2010, 03:42 PM

310 posts, read 854,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Houston, to me, is basically one big Metairie (N.O. suburb).
I have a huge fondness for Houston, but this is so true! Thank you for making me laugh!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
I am from New Orleans but now live in NY state. Growing up there in the 70's & 80's, I always heard Atlanta being called "The NY City of the South." Houston, to me, is basically one big Metairie (N.O. suburb).
I've always said that about Houston. On that note, Atlanta is one big Mandeville.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 AM

24 posts, read 29,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
How you like NOLA? I like NYC, but I'm not sure about NOLA as I have not been there.
I'd be lying if I said I didnt miss NYC, but I adore living here.

Here's the major (although there are many!) difference as I see it: no one comes to NO to become rich, yet tons of people flock to NYC in search of wealth. What you are left with in NO is a population of people who truly want to be here. There is sense of community which is unparalleled.

I love living here but miss diversity of NYC.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 AM

239 posts, read 595,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston as NY of the south? Not at all. New Orleans once was a major immigration city just as San Francisco and NY. There's cultural diversity due to that fact alone which gives it the edge over Houston.
New York of the south IS New Orleans.
Diversity in New Orleans? N.O. is VERY black and white. As someone who's lived in a TRUE diverse city (Los Angeles, where there are huge numbers of people from all over the world)...New Orleans just can't compare in that dept.

Can't even rival Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans