U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 AM

661 posts, read 1,049,280 times

Advertisements

am I making sense?

Like Chicago is the NYC of the Midwest, and Los Angeles is the NYC of the West Coast, etc.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,131,600 times
Perhaps at one time, but I think for a truer comparison, we have been ousted by Houston. New Orleans was for sure the premier city of the South till probably the 60's..certainly it is the oldest large city down here. But Houston is the most populated city in the South, and has a NY/LA/Chicago style pattern of immigrants settling from all points of the world to the city, more so than New Orleans. The NO at one time was a huge immigrant destination, well into the 1920's in fact. But now, like I said, Houston is that place. But New Orleans is perhaps still the most culturally important and historical city in the South.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 30,488 times
I would have to go with not just no, but hell no. NYC and NO are two separate and different beasts. NYC is a metropolis through and through, whereas NO is more like a small town that kind of blew up. NYC is amazing and huge, but almost impersonal. NO is almost quaint, and there's a down-homey, everybody's a neighbor feel to it. The culture is just too different in both cities, as well.

Add all that to the size differences, and the fact that you almost have to fight people to come live down here, whereas a lot of people dream of living in NYC at some point (myself included), and I have to say the two cities are not at all alike, nor is there really common thread for comparison other than they are both cities with ports and their own microcosmic cultures.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM

640 posts, read 1,057,365 times
In a way, New Orleans is the NYC of the South. They don't call it the Big Easy for nothing (a reference to the Big Apple). They are both unique, urban, compact cities with amazing cultural value. In terms of business and population, no we are not the New York of the South. But, in terms of feel, culture, civic pride, we are definitely the NYC of the South. I've always used that comparison when talking about NOLA. We are New York, but instead of high-rises everywhere, we have creole architecture everywhere. We have the urban quality that every other city in the South doesn't have. Therefore, we really are the NYC of the South. We are a city with culture, history, walkability, etc. Sure, we may have faults, but so did New York in the 80's.

There is a famous quote by Mark Twain:

"In America, there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."

I like to substitute Houston to give it a more modern feel.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,932,128 times
In the 60s, N.O. was overtaken by Atlanta. Businesses moved there instead of N.O., people talked about it being "the New South," and its economy outpaced N.O.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,335,532 times
If you mean New York in terms of the way that the city is developed and the feel of certain parts, then yes. Economically, no.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:59 AM

10 posts, read 18,301 times
I'm from NYC and lived the majority of my life there. I moved to NO about 16 months ago. NYC and NO are two entirely different animals and its unfair to draw comparisons between the two.

Apples and oranges.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM

2,796 posts, read 6,876,583 times
There lies the similarity; both cities are different. Their economic engines, personalities, etc.

Both cities have Personality although not the same one. Both are urban, old, have many traditions that newer places don't have. They are more than anywhere else (exception Philadelphia and Boston) old cities. Major shipping, tourists, etc.

You really can't copy what NO or NY are about anywhere else. It is just too complicated.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 AM

I guess what I meant by my question was if NYC and New Orleans are the same as "everyone is welcome here" sort of thing. In NYC, it feels like everyone is welcome there (it's NYC!). I was wondering about New Orleans, if it's the NYC of the South...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNO View Post
I'm from NYC and lived the majority of my life there. I moved to NO about 16 months ago. NYC and NO are two entirely different animals and its unfair to draw comparisons between the two.

Apples and oranges.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 AM

How you like NOLA? I like NYC, but I'm not sure about NOLA as I have not been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNO View Post

Apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or