U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 AM

661 posts, read 1,048,831 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing that the rent is NYC-like. What's the deal? I craigslisted some apartments and I've seen different results. Is Bourbon Street the playground for the wealthy and is the rest of it still New Orleans?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 AM

101 posts, read 267,833 times
Message board etiquette 101:

Don't post many threads on different topics when you can ask all those questions in one thread. That is referred to as "spamming" a message board and is typically frowned upon by members and moderators. I am not a mod here, but I am just speaking from my mod experience on two other boards.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 AM

640 posts, read 1,056,870 times
Well, personally I don't mind that you posted separate threads...if you don't wanna reply just ignore it.

Anyway, I don't know that New Orleans has become a playground for the wealthy. Bourbon street is kind of a low-class tourist type street. NO locals go there. But, there is a growing young professional crowd type going out in the city with New York style cocktail bars and clubs. I'm not sure if that makes us the playground for the wealthy though...

Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM

199 posts, read 612,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I'm hearing that the rent is NYC-like. What's the deal? I craigslisted some apartments and I've seen different results. Is Bourbon Street the playground for the wealthy and is the rest of it still New Orleans?
New Orleans is a small southern city on the brink of death. It has the highest murder rate in the nation and one of the highest in the world.

What part of this looks overly wealthy to you?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,296,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
The telephone pole.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:13 PM

38 posts, read 83,749 times
The rent is definitely nothing like NYC (if by NYC you mean Manhattan). I'm paying half what I was in Manhattan for twice the square footage and in a much nicer place with parking.

As far as a playground for the wealthy, um, not so much. Phrases like that invoke images of Vermont, Jackson WY, the Cayman's, Monaco, etc. Those places have a one or more of the following: a huge percentage of their real estate are second homes, spectacular natural beauty, the majority of eating establishments are not affordable on local wages. New Orleans does not meet any of those criteria.

Yes, the economy of New Orleans is heavily centered on tourism but this isn't vacation home in the Hamptons tourism. The draw here is the FQ and various festivals.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,149,626 times
What happen it was once one of the richest cities in America. The cities no doubt has the natural resources to be there but the people there are a little lazy

Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 PM

21 posts, read 36,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
New Orleans is a small southern city on the brink of death. It has the highest murder rate in the nation and one of the highest in the world.

...much like New York City in the 70's and 80's when there was talk of abandoning the city. I visit New Orleans multiple times a year, and the buildings give me that warm fuzzy feeling that I am somewhere special. I think the world is taking notice.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:10 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,128,461 times
Good God, just about everything you people have posted has me pissed off! Rent is higher because of Katrina putting a squeeze on properties as well as gentrification of the areas with more desirable surroundings/potential to attract higher dollar folks. I'm not too thrilled about this (questioning whether I'll ever be able to afford a house in the city with a good quality of life) but it is what it is. The crime and subculture of death and violence is painful to observe (I come from a good background and I've seen people on the street with gunshot wounds, I've been robbed and beat up on the street so don't come at me like I'm clueless) but it's part of our complex population. Don't ever tell me my city is on the "verge of death", we were established long before boringanywhereamericana ever had a Wal-Mart and a movie theatre as its main attraction, and we'll be kicking long after it rots as just another boring spot on the map. If Los Angeles or New York had Katrina they wouldn't be back the way we have already..despite the fact that they would've receieved more help from the feds.

Calling us "lazy"? Sorry, when your best economic options to exploit are tourism and a port, you're not going to get the work enviornment you see in Silicon Valley or downtown Manhattan, gosh we're such worthless peons for that. No one ever bothered to put opportunities like that within our reach. Just because we love life and being together with family we're lazy because we don't enslave ourselves with the rat race like many of you do? Once again, my deepest apologies. We must be really lazy, uneducated people to lose all of our material possesions and have our family and friends drown or commit suicide only to bounce back with a much stronger economy and rebuild a completely deplorable public school system and infrastructure. We are some of the most clever, resilient, cultured people this side of the Atlantic, watch your mouth.

You know, in my travels I have heard some really really insulting things from people in regards to New Orleans, Louisiana or the South in general, and I'm just plain sick of it. You may have read anything I wrote so far and think "well this jerk just thinks his city's the best and everyone else sucks and he's overly defensive". Let me repeat some of the exchanges which have occurred when I travel:

Girl from Maryland: "You know, for being from the South, you seem very intelligent and well spoken!"

California jackass #1: "Yeah man I drove to New Orleans from Cali, you know just to get wasted on Bourbon and stuff. You pee on the street, it was awesome! But let me tell you bro, Louisiana smells like s**t! I rolled down the window for a second on the way and that was it"
Me: "Hm, that's interesting, certainly New Orleans doesn't smell bad, there are a few plants around Lake Charles and Baton Rouge. Where were you, do you remember?"
Cali jackass#2: "Doesn't all the South smell like s**t? Lets the honest here dude.."

Girl from Kansas: "You're 24 and you're not married yet!? Aren't you from Louisiana!? (a little later) So are all the people really like the Jerry Springer Show there?"

You get the drift. I know I went way off topic, but think about what we endure when we meet people. I think that New Orleans is a place with a lot of outside parties coming in and buying properties and coming to pass a good time here. I encourage it; we will show you amazing experiences and you will fall in love with our city and our lively, friendly, delightfully eccentric people. But please leave your preconceptions at home!

Last edited by aab7855; 11-28-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 09:00 PM

2,881 posts, read 2,598,907 times
I havent gotten those kinds of comments thrown directly at me yet, however, New Orleans is not becoming a wealthy playground like cities from the north east. I live in Lake Charles and not all the city stinks but nothing happens here.

Some ppl are just rude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or