U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 AM

194 posts, read 491,083 times

Advertisements

I'm white and I moved here from Atlanta back in the spring. I think in both cities it really depends on the area of town. Overall, I think people - black and white - are friendlier here than in most places I've lived or visited. A couple of times I've felt like a black store employee was ignoring me or giving me a dirty look because I'm white. I only recall this happening once in Atlanta over the course of several years.
However, I've found that more people in New Orleans will just stop and talk to you in a store or on the street. I've had this happen multiple times with black and white folks. I love this. It really feels like a small town in so many ways. I've spoken to many black strangers of all ages, in various situations and really got the feeling that neither of us gave a rat's a** about race. We were just people ;-)

I live in Uptown, btw, and have black and white neighbors, as I did in Atlanta. I really like a diverse neighborhood. I did have a workmate of my husband's tell me the other day that he grew up on the Northshore and wasn't even allowed to watch any TV shows with black people in the cast (he's in his early thirties, btw.) Apparently his neighborhood is still very "white", and black people are unwelcome "after sundown"! Yikes! To his credit, thought, this guy is learning that the world shouldn't be like that, and he's shedding a lot of that indoctrination. I won't be visiting him in that neighborhood, though! Until families and neighborhoods (of all colors!) stop teaching these ideas to young people, racism will still persist. It's losing ground, though, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,240,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I just wondering if racism is one of the biggest obstacles that is holding New Orleans back in progressing. Just look at Houston, Dallas , Atlanta and LA races intergrate and live next door to each other, why is NOLA and the metro area still hung up on it.
Yep, there are some blacks in NOLA that are so racist that they absolutely hate non-black people,...but I'm positive this isn't the type of racism you're talking about.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,240,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown504 View Post
Also, if you walk into a long existing white establishment, usually you get some snide looks and you could feel a certain level of tension unless you're with a locally known black person. It has happened to me on a few occasions, not many, but nonetheless, it's a very uncomfortable feeling. As for the rebirth brass band remark, come on it's rebirth, whites never really were apart of that whole street brass band thing up until a few years ago, growing up I always thought it was a black thing. Brass bands sometimes perform at venues where whites frequent though.

And there are black establishments where if you're white and you walk inside, you'll get the same snide looks or worse.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And there are black establishments where if you're white and you walk inside, you'll get the same snide looks or worse.
Yes, racism sucks no matter what "side" you're on. It's a problem for everyone, it's gradually getting better overall, and we can all contribute to eradicating it.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,154,780 times
Sicilians and Creoles, of all cities how could racism ever exist

Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,133,746 times
So no Italians are racist then? Creoles couldn't possibly have any animosity for people lighter or darker than them? You have some very interesting views and generalizations about New Orleans that I can't say I agree with at all. But what do I know, I've only lived here 25 years. How's Texas?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM

16 posts, read 21,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You're probably right, but lets be honest. Black establishments in Nola account for probably less than 5% of the establishments here. In Jefferson Parish probably less than 1%.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 AM

104 posts, read 436,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown504 View Post
You're probably right, but lets be honest. Black establishments in Nola account for probably less than 5% of the establishments here. In Jefferson Parish probably less than 1%.
sheesh.
this is ludicrous. in a city of over 60% black population, black establishments account for less than 5%?
please. thanks to economic segregation, there are plenty of places where whites don't/shouldn't go. It could well be that some white slum lord owns the property, but as far as clientele goes, it is way, way, more than 5% of the joints in the city where blacks hang out. it's called the neighborhood bar, and as the neighborhood goes, so goes the local hang-outs. since we're inventing statistics, I'm going to throw out this one: in NO, half the bars have a mixed clientele, 15% are exclusively white, and another 40% are black. wait a minute, that's more than 100%..... never mind

and btw, believe it or not, there are actually neighborhoods on the north shore that are--I kid you not--majority black--a living relic of the days of segregation. of course they are on the whole in the minority, which is pretty much how the redneck majority prefers it.

the fact is that racism is holding back this whole country, and world for that matter, but it doesn't mean there are not pockets of tolerance (or greater intolerance) here and there. I've lived on the north shore, south shore, mid-west and north east US, and New Orleans proper is far from the worst place for racism, though it is among the worst in how poorly the poor are cared for, on a par with most other urban environments, but that's another thread altogether

Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3 View Post
the fact is that racism is holding back this whole country, and world for that matter, but it doesn't mean there are not pockets of tolerance (or greater intolerance) here and there.
Absolutely! I get so tired of the South being labeled as "ultra-racist". Some of the worst racists I've ever know were from the North. The Southern states had slavery well after the Northern states abolished it, but it's not like black people were welcomed with open arms up North during that time, either. I'm sure there were many equality-minded folks, even back then, but it was no far-reaching Utopia!

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I think our society has come an incredibly long way in the past few decades. Yes, there are those "pockets" you spoke of, mnr3, and we certainly have a long way to go, but steady progress is being made. Sometimes it's nice to be grateful for what we have, even as we work to make things even better

Old 12-19-2010, 04:43 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,338,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3 View Post
I've lived on the north shore, south shore, mid-west and north east US, and New Orleans proper is far from the worst place for racism, though it is among the worst in how poorly the poor are cared for, on a par with most other urban environments, but that's another thread altogether
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans