Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times

Advertisements

I just wondering if racism is one of the biggest obstacles that is holding New Orleans back in progressing. Just look at Houston, Dallas , Atlanta and LA races intergrate and live next door to each other, why is NOLA and the metro area still hung up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Considering in the city itself, like say Uptown, you can't go 2 blocks without changing race of inhabitants, this seems to be an odd question.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
I don't really think so. The northshore may be mostly white and affluent but the lack of representative diversity doesn't seem to be impeding anything. As far as New Orleans proper, I think they are pretty well mixed in. It's not like some cities where you can say "this is the white half and this is the black half". Like SBIU said, the demographics can change block by block in some areas.

Personally, I think the location of the city is the greatest blessing and the greatest curse. But with proximity to water becoming less and less essential to success, I think the location is the biggest factor working against New Orleans right now. That and the lack of land on the southshore. To me, there is simply no space for "smart" expansion on the southshore. Much of the land that has been developed was never suitable to begin with.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Personally, I think the location of the city is the greatest blessing and the greatest curse. But with proximity to water becoming less and less essential to success, I think the location is the biggest factor working against New Orleans right now. That and the lack of land on the southshore. To me, there is simply no space for "smart" expansion on the southshore. Much of the land that has been developed was never suitable to begin with.
So true! But "they" never thought it would happen, i.e., a Katrina. I used to hear the theory that the warm currents from the mouth of the river "steered" storms away from N.O. Any reason to be in denial about possibilities.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:23 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
I agree with MetroBTR and SouthernBelleInUtah.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,056 times
New Orleans surely has some racists but it isn't like Baton Rouge.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:09 PM

104 posts, read 476,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I just wondering if racism is one of the biggest obstacles that is holding New Orleans back in progressing. Just look at Houston, Dallas , Atlanta and LA races intergrate and live next door to each other, why is NOLA and the metro area still hung up on it.
this is a trolling post if ever there were one. it assumes NO is not advancing while others do; that Houston, Dallas, etc have integration of races. Please.

it's precisely b/c nola has more interaction of races that race is an everyday reality, and not the suburban/urban dichotomy of most metro areas (though we have that of course as well)

not even worthy of discussion and a clear incitement for racist bs

Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3 View Post
this is a trolling post if ever there were one. it assumes NO is not advancing while others do; that Houston, Dallas, etc have integration of races. Please.

it's precisely b/c nola has more interaction of races that race is an everyday reality, and not the suburban/urban dichotomy of most metro areas (though we have that of course as well)

not even worthy of discussion and a clear incitement for racist bs

One of the threads on the main Louisiana thread clearly shows that Dallas and Atlanta have a long way to go in terms of integration. Houston is better, but still segregated.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

One of the threads on the main Louisiana thread clearly shows that Dallas and Atlanta have a long way to go in terms of integration. Houston is better, but still segregated.
while Houston still has pockets of segregation. No New Orleans segregation is obvious and plain and sight. It's awholeeeeee different scale when you compare the two. Matter fact, I can say the only time I saw any real integration in New Orleans was in the French Quarter and that's because people are sight seeing,eating,shopping, etc. And more then half of the people in FQ are tourist anyway. I have family in the N.O. so when I do happen to go into real neigborhoods in the city I don't see any real sense of integration. In Houston yes you will have your older sections of towns be pred. Black or Hispanic. And some of your high income areas. pred. White. But to see segregation on the level of New Orleans you have to go out to the outerskirts past the burbs and sub-divisions to catch a true glimpse of segregation. It's pretty common to see White,Black,Indian,Korean,Viet,Nigerian,Ethopian,M exican, on one street, block in Houston. And i'm not bragging because I love New Orleans. I feel as though it is honest about it's segregation. While Houston can be heavy integregated(which probably is more so do to no zoning then a utopia)Houston tends to put up this facade is if it is some kind of race mixing utopia when that's far from the truth. Pepople of different backgrounds just live by each other because they can afford the housing

Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 PM

226 posts, read 559,908 times
I wouldn't say Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, ect. are integrated. There will always be segragation no matter what. You might have gentrification in urban areas, but the new developments will price the lower income families out and into the suburbs. It's a cycle.

And racism is no longer one-sided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans