U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM

11 posts, read 22,331 times

Advertisements

My husband is relocating to New Orleans for work and we are trying to balance where we would like/can afford to live with commute times. We would like to live in the city, however with 2 teenage daughters, we think the Northshore would be a better fit for us at this particular time. What we would like to know is how long the commute from various areas on the Northshore realistically take, and if certain hours are worse than others. The areas we are considering are Covington, Mandeville & Madisonville. I would really appreciate responses from anyone that actually does the commute.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,925,132 times
Depends on where his office will be. From my home near Causeway Blvd in Metairie to my office in Covington normally took 35 min. But any accidnets and all bets are off.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:01 PM

104 posts, read 436,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Depends on where his office will be. From my home near Causeway Blvd in Metairie to my office in Covington normally took 35 min. But any accidnets and all bets are off.
this sounds about right. the bridge is a good 25 minutes if there is no problem (fog, break downs, or accidents), add 5 to 25 based on how close the starting and end points are from the bridge. my drive from mandeville to gentilly is 43-48 minutes

Old 11-14-2010, 03:52 AM

Thank you both! His office will be in the CBD.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Then count on over an hour each way. I also worked in the CBD and the drive from my Metairie house was about 25-30 min. if no accidents on the interstate.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 AM

104 posts, read 436,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Then count on over an hour each way. I also worked in the CBD and the drive from my Metairie house was about 25-30 min. if no accidents on the interstate.
during heavier traffic, yes, but I can get to my parents place all the way across the bridge in Algiers in under 50 minutes from Mandeville, so CBD should be more like 45-50, depending on location.

back to OP, I would suggest Mandeville over Covington and Madisonville. the latter 2 have some nice places, but can add another 15 to the commute easily, and there's plenty of nice places in Mandeville. also, it will matter how soon your kids will be getting out of school. I would not discount the south shore if you don't have to plan on many years in school systems, though it is a little more expensive in general compared to NShore.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3 View Post
during heavier traffic, yes, but I can get to my parents place all the way across the bridge in Algiers in under 50 minutes from Mandeville, so CBD should be more like 45-50, depending on location.

What time of day was that? Would it match his commuting hours?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 PM

65 posts, read 138,890 times
If I were moving to New Orleans, I would chose the North Shore (Mandeville, in particular). As long as your hubbie can commute, it's a good choice IMO.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 13,538 times
Regarding Covington vs. Mandeville, one thing to consider is this. During a real hurricane threat directly to this area, all areas of the Northshore south of the I-12 corridor are mandatory evacuation.
Just something else to consider.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 AM

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to comment!
Mandeville is looking like the favorite at the moment, particularly old Mandeville. My husband is willing to do the extra commute to Covington, only if we find a place in/near the downtown area. We prefer an area where we can walk to shops and/or restaurants, but still be safe for the kids. Would the difference between the two be about 15mins?
We are doing private schools for our kids, they will be eighth & 10th grade when we move. I figured it would be easier to transition into a smaller school environment at this age, and the opportunity for my eighth grader to start high school straight away (with other new kids) makes it much easier. We have chosen St Scholastica on the Northshore, which is why Covington is still worth looking at for us, like I said just depends on how much extra time my husband will spend on the road. His current commute is about 45mins.
I am assuming that the traffic from Mandeville to Covington (for school), shouldn't be too bad, as I will be going against traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans