U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM

1,764 posts, read 4,057,196 times

Advertisements

I've heard about Nickalodeon getting the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 PM

65 posts, read 139,006 times
I haven't heard anything about that, but the Saenger is supposed to be coming back

Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 AM

14,213 posts, read 20,574,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doowapp View Post
I haven't heard anything about that, but the Saenger is supposed to be coming back
What is that?

I hope it returns to a culture-based park like Jazzland or possibly a major company like Six Flags.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,955,407 times
Someone posted this depressing video a few weeks ago...i mean't to post it but forgot to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcja8UBtXdk

Old 11-22-2010, 01:30 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,137,093 times
A bunch of my friends have snuck in there, they said its really really creepy now. It was such a mistake to put it all the way out there in -20 feet below sea level, extra-low rent east New Orleans East. Now we have to see its skeleton and nothing may ever be done about it.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 PM

12 posts, read 30,515 times
I heard they were tearing going to start tearing it down in a few weeks ... I think the beginning of January. I also heard about Nickelodeon buying the place.

I would have been disappointed in that before, but now I have a kid who likes Nick, Jr., so it'll be a cool place to bring her.

Still, I'm almost sad to see such a creepy place leave ... it's an awesome reminder of how much Katrina sucked for us.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:00 PM

310 posts, read 769,439 times
"City officials have denied that the defunct Six Flags New Orleans theme park is scheduled for demolition, claiming that an offer to redevelop the site is still under consideration."

City officials deny plans for imminent demolition of Six Flags New Orleans | Theme Park Tourist

Southern Star pulled out, Six Flags REALLY doesn't want it back (they have been in financial trouble anyway), and, having worked for a large amusement company (Cedar Fair), I can't see any company worth a grain of salt wanting what was a poorly planned venture in the first place. Not to say that it wouldn't be nice to have it back, just that I believe it has too much potential to be a money pit, especially in it's current condition and the investment one would have to make to fix it. It wasn't profitable from the day it opened as Jazzland. Tourists don't come to New Orleans for an amusement park. Relying on the population of the city and the sparse surrounding rural areas to populate a large-scale amusement park, is just questionable business practice. The location of it surely didn't make matters any better.

Yes, I know, people who live here liked it quite a bit and it was something different to do in the area but, again, the few that went there (or plan to return if it opens) didn't/won't support such a large operation. I honestly don't think it would still be Six Flags if the storm hadn't come as they sold off many of their less profitable operations a couple years back.

I, for one, couldn't stand going there because of the "extra low rent" population. I don't think that population would change if it reopened and I'm sure I'm not the only one who never returned because of it.

It is really sad to see it standing there like that, though. Something needs to be done, period. It would be nice to see someone figure out an idea that has more tourist potential or would attract more local people.

Last edited by Pook77; 11-22-2010 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,340,500 times
As far as the "extra low rent" comments, are these in reference to the general population of The East , or is it referring to the demographics who visited the park?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 PM

310 posts, read 769,439 times
I was personally referring to the generally low class of people who frequented the park. It was a haven for parents to drop their ill-behaved children off for the day with no supervision and for teenagers trying to prove something to start fights with other groups of teenagers.

It reminded me of a park my old employer had to close down for, among numerous other reasons, a reputation for violent park guests, mainly high schoolers with nothing better to do.

It's just my opinion; however, more than one person I know often says something along the lines of "That place was nasty," when talking about the old Six Flags.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,340,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
I was personally referring to the generally low class of people who frequented the park. It was a haven for parents to drop their ill-behaved children off for the day with no supervision and for teenagers trying to prove something to start fights with other groups of teenagers.

It reminded me of a park my old employer had to close down for, among numerous other reasons, a reputation for violent park guests, mainly high schoolers with nothing better to do.

It's just my opinion; however, more than one person I know often says something along the lines of "That place was nasty," when talking about the old Six Flags.
Oh, in that case I fully agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or