Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2006, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,111 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband is in the ARMY. He'll be assigned w/ the Corps of Engineers in New Orleans in a few months. We are totally unfamiliar w/ the area! We'll probably live in military housing on NAS in Belle Chasse but may consider buying or renting nearby.

We have 3 small children (5, 4, & 1) so are especially interested in school (public and private preschool and elementary ) info. We would also like to know what the best neighborhoods are, what types of leisure & recreation activities are available, crime rates, nearby shopping, commute time to New Orleans, etc. ???

Any info or advice you can provide about the area and services would be greatly appreciated! Hope to hear back from some of you soon.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 02:02 PM

286 posts, read 1,474,160 times
This might be late, but....

I lived in the New Orleans area for about 26 years. Specifically, Port Sulphur, which is about 30 miles south of the NAS.

In my opinion, I would live in Belle Chase. It is the town that the NAS is located in. Schools are some of the best in the state. Crime is about as low as it gets in the area. You are 20 minutes from downtown New Orleans, and if fishing is of interest, you'll be in a world class location!

Belle Chase has a small town feel and is a "tight" community. Real Estate is a bit higher than other areas, but that is due to all its assetts.

You can find good areas throughout the westbank, but they are little pockets here and there.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,447,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
This might be late, but....

I lived in the New Orleans area for about 26 years. Specifically, Port Sulphur, which is about 30 miles south of the NAS.

In my opinion, I would live in Belle Chase. It is the town that the NAS is located in. Schools are some of the best in the state. Crime is about as low as it gets in the area. You are 20 minutes from downtown New Orleans, and if fishing is of interest, you'll be in a world class location!

Belle Chase has a small town feel and is a "tight" community. Real Estate is a bit higher than other areas, but that is due to all its assetts.

You can find good areas throughout the westbank, but they are little pockets here and there.
And Belle Chasse was about the only part of Plaquemines Parish not decimated by Katrina's storm surge.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:13 AM

286 posts, read 1,474,160 times
True, true......

My childhood home was wiped to the foundation. Parents are now living in Belle Chase.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 11,460 times
My husband is Marines. There is a really nice rental on our beautiful street in Belle Chasse. Schools are excellant! It's 5 bedrooms 3 baths on almost an acre. It's been on the rental market for a bit for $2,200, but you could probably get it for $1,700. Worth it because the street is awesome. If you have any questions, happy to help. Tina at 504-491-7455. The realtor's name is Judy W at 800-566-7801. The address is 204 Sarah Victoria Dr. Belle Chasse, LA 70037

Old 10-03-2007, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,768 times
Hello, My daughter is moving to Belle Chasse in less than 2 weeks. She is expecting her first child. Any suggestions on what Primary Care Doctor or OB? She and her husband have custody of his 2 children ages 5 and 3, so baby will make 3. They will be living on base, on Kittyhawk st. They know absolutely nothing about the area. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM

177 posts, read 790,439 times
I'm not familiar with Belle Chasse doctors but there is Oschner Medical Center - Westbank (http://www.ochsner.org/page.cfm?id=1398 - broken link) (formerly Meadowcrest) medical complex about 5 minutes north of BC that should have all of that available. Here is a list of doctors (http://www.ochsner.org/body.cfm?id=1399 - broken link).

Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 AM

32 posts, read 142,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tretana View Post
My husband is Marines. There is a really nice rental on our beautiful street in Belle Chasse. Schools are excellant! It's 5 bedrooms 3 baths on almost an acre. It's been on the rental market for a bit for $2,200, but you could probably get it for $1,700. Worth it because the street is awesome. If you have any questions, happy to help. Tina at 504-491-7455. The realtor's name is Judy W at 800-566-7801. The address is 204 Sarah Victoria Dr. Belle Chasse, LA 70037

sarah victoria is a beautiful street....it's hard to find a 5 bed. 3 bath house in belle chasse for that cheap (which is weird for sarah victoria....thought it would be a lot more).

Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 AM

32 posts, read 142,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabambu View Post
Hello, My daughter is moving to Belle Chasse in less than 2 weeks. She is expecting her first child. Any suggestions on what Primary Care Doctor or OB? She and her husband have custody of his 2 children ages 5 and 3, so baby will make 3. They will be living on base, on Kittyhawk st. They know absolutely nothing about the area. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

the closest hospital is in jefferson parish....but it is very close to Belle Chasse, it was called medocrest (before katrina) and it's now called oshner!
sure the doctors are great....i havent been there in a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans