Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,398 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I am considering a future relocation to New Orleans. I am a web developer (specializing in Coldfusion, SQL, & jQuery). I'm wondering what the web design/development field looks like in New Orleans? I've occassionally browsed the "web / info design" job listings on Craigslist, and well, the pickings were slim.

Currently, I live in Reading PA (1hr outside Philadelphia) and you could say this area is "dry" as far as design/development opportunities, yet I am employeed. So where does New Orleans stand between a place like where I live and "leading" web area like Seattle? \

Any designers/developers living in New Orleans that are willing to share their situations/stories?

Thanks in advance for responses. This forum has been very helpful to other questions I've (mentally) asked myself!

- Zach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM

152 posts, read 477,892 times
as the lack of any comments for what 10 months if im not mistaken has surely shown you there is probably less here than in PA. When I chose my major web development was something I was very interested in but sadly I thin I will have to stay in construction. There are a few firms here but Im not sure that the local economy is really demanding much from the internet world. I may be mistaken though and stuck in my own little sheltered world. Im having a hard time coming up with anything that pays enough to actually live in this area that would give me experience and doesnt require me to have any experience.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:54 PM

432 posts, read 1,081,000 times
You might look at these guys:

New Orleans, LA Web Design – Website Design in New Orleans, LA

Old 12-06-2010, 08:01 PM

152 posts, read 477,892 times
if only i had experience. and their little top however number of fastest growing companies sounds to me like id be competing with every tech person in LA and a bunch from out of town to even get a job sweeping floors and getting coffee. Their list of clients seems like they have a massive chunck of local market share.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,291,052 times
There are several tech companies up and down Camp Street in the CBD that rely on ecommerce/web programmers.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 PM

432 posts, read 1,081,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico82NO View Post
if only i had experience. and their little top however number of fastest growing companies sounds to me like id be competing with every tech person in LA and a bunch from out of town to even get a job sweeping floors and getting coffee. Their list of clients seems like they have a massive chunck of local market share.
Might be a good place to start, even if that means fetching coffee at first (hint: No one does that anymore). Just get yourself through the door. Lots of upward mobility potential in such a rapidly growing company.

It can and does happen all the time to those willing to take a risk. And you'll be surrounded by those who know the business very well. You'll learn volumes from them in the process.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans