Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 AM

98 posts, read 284,807 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation, I am single, retired and have been living in Thailand for the past 8 years. I am now ready for a change and have picked New Orleans, Miami, Miami Beach, San Francisco and San Diego, in that order as my hopefuls. All have some combination of what I am hoping to find. I have spent some time in each, but a while back.

I want to be able to walk to the basics, neighborhood bar, local restaurants, and markets. A good sports bar would be a plus I don't want to be afraid to walk my neighborhood at night. I don't want to own a car.

I like to travel, so an international airport is important. I like to walk and work out for my exercise. I like happy hours, wine tastings and eating out once in a while.

My plan is to find a furnished place near the French Quarter and spend about 3 months trying to get a feel for New Orleans. This will be in the fall of 2011.

My question is, is this a feasible approach and have I over looked anything important and are there any suggestions? I do have a what to do if, hurricane plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,119,790 times
I'm not going to remark on NOLA but I can tell you to pretty much forget San Diego if you don't want to have a car. Yes, there are areas, such as Hillcrestfor example, where you could walk to most things you like. But, things are generally spread out in San Diego (typical of So. CA) and public transportation while better than it used to be is still very inconvenient if you should need to go outside the central core for work or something.

Good luck in your search.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,685,748 times
I guess you are used to humidity? In N.O., it can be 90 degrees and 90% humidity for days at a time in the summer. Walking isn't so pleasant then. and actually, the algorithm for humidity makes it possible for the news to report that it is 110%. Now those were days when I stayed inside in a/c.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,014,147 times
Well for example I live in Puerto Rico right now but my parents are in the Uptown area of New Orleans (i'm here for the holidays), and even in the cold I don't mind getting around without a car, which is sitting in Puerto Rico currently. I strongly recommend the Uptown area..if you live within walking distance to St. Charles Avenue you can take the streetcar to the French Quarter as well as the other way (Carrolton area) 24/7...Magazine Street is another good option with a frequent bus. The Faubourg Maringy is another old area with a lot of charm (very "hipster") but safety can be a little iffier.

Our airport isn't the best..but it will have connecting flights to all of the cities that are crucial to international travel (Miami, New York, Houston, Atlanta, DC, etc). You will be swimming in bars and restaurants here, it's insane. Be prepared to ramp up your workouts to counter the culinary scene here! There are farmer's markets Uptown as well as a Whole Foods market on Magazine St.

If I were to live here and need to be on time with work, etc. daily I would get a bus pass and buy a bike to fill in the gaps. If you like walking and allot enough time to do so, Uptown is a pedestrian's paradise. Everyone walks places and runs up the sidewalks to Audubon Park and other places. Come down for a while and see how you like it,but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Funny mention about the warm, I was more worried about the cold, under 80 degrees is a cold spell here.

Thanks for the San Diego info, as you can see it is last on my list because of the limited no car areas. I went to high school there but have not been any closer to downtown than Sea World in many years.

Being retired I have the time to walk. I had not thought about Faubourg Maringy, but will add it to my list.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 5,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcladrad View Post
Here is my situation, I am single, retired and have been living in Thailand for the past 8 years. I am now ready for a change and have picked New Orleans, Miami, Miami Beach, San Francisco and San Diego, in that order as my hopefuls. All have some combination of what I am hoping to find. I have spent some time in each, but a while back.

I want to be able to walk to the basics, neighborhood bar, local restaurants, and markets. A good sports bar would be a plus I don't want to be afraid to walk my neighborhood at night. I don't want to own a car.

I like to travel, so an international airport is important. I like to walk and work out for my exercise. I like happy hours, wine tastings and eating out once in a while.

My plan is to find a furnished place near the French Quarter and spend about 3 months trying to get a feel for New Orleans. This will be in the fall of 2011.

My question is, is this a feasible approach and have I over looked anything important and are there any suggestions? I do have a what to do if, hurricane plan.
You'll fit in just fine. NO is a wonderful place. I love it

Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 PM

I was thinking of renting a corporate furnished condo for my first 3 month look around time, has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM

194 posts, read 544,026 times
Living near the streetcar line is awesome! We just got bikes, too, which is really fun. We've been here for nine months now and love it more every day. There are so many awesome little neighborhood areas, I'm sure you can find one that's perfect for you.

I definitely agree with the short-term rental at first. Then you can explore the whole city and decide where you really want to be ;-) Good luck!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Thanks thepointykitty,
The streetcar lines make a lot more choices available. Reading this forum, Google and Walkscore have already been a big help. The little walk around guy in Google Maps has also been a great help in looking for the short term place.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,999,876 times
Just wanted to throw in a couple of points. The Maringny has gotten pricey in the past five years, and if that is an issue, Bywater would be a less expensive alternative. Be careful choosing a place Uptown, you will find that one block will be fine and then just one block over you will feel like you are in downtown Beirut; I suggest you check the area out with a local before renting. It's easy to make a mistake when you don't know the Uptown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans