Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 AM

661 posts, read 1,244,705 times

Advertisements

After living in Chicago, now in the Baltimore/DC area, is the overall rules and regulations more laid back in NOLA, or is it all the same since it's a city? Answer only if you have lived in the "North" and know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,296,331 times
Wait.
There are laws here? Wut?

Seriously, sometimes I think I could drag a body on a rope behind my car...and the NOPD would just look at me and think...wow that looks like paperwork. I didn't see a thing.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM

16,506 posts, read 26,209,273 times
Thats exactly how I feel when I'm in New Orleans.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 AM

65 posts, read 153,472 times
+1 to Prytania and annie

... until you go into Harahan. Don't go to Harahan when it's "dark" ... anyone from New Orleans will know what I'm hinting at. Every city has a set of police that are extremely strict. When in NOLA, it was Harahan. When in Atlanta, it was Cobb. When in Knoxville, it was Oak Ridge.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,019,815 times
I'm not from up North, but let me tell you, as a young person I am very concerned about moving to another city because I feel as though the "laws" don't even apply down in New Orleans, and I wouldn't realize that until I was in handcuffs! I can't tell you how many times I've been totally shocked that people won't let me carry my drinks out of bars, as if it's not the way its done everywhere else. I know plenty of people who think nothing of burning a joint right on the street, if that tells you anything. NOPD certainly isn't bored (a WHOLE LOT of activity going on to worry about!) and won't harass you, but then again good luck if you actually need them. We've waited 90 minutes for cops to arrive after thwarting a home invasion.. this was over 10 years ago though.. but just saying, to me New Orleans is kind of a "live and let live" atmosphere in terms of laws and law enforcement. No one is going to write you a ticket for something totally lame like a beer bottle or jaywalking, no way!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Yeah New Orleans makes everywhere else seem VERY uptight.
Last call? Whassthat?

I can't take my drink outside? Wut?

Its illegal to run around naked? Really?

Nevermind about the last one.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,852,848 times
Yep, it's real laid back, in fact it's like a whole different country, but I will warn any tourist that the cops down here don't play. They will arrest your dumb azz if you urinate in public and if you and your partner are acting dumb drunk stupid it'll most likely be OK if you can just talk to the cop"yes sir officer I'll quit hanging off that light pole or yes sir officer I was just planning to leave this bar anyway". now if you wana run your head at the cop and act stupid you may or may not ever make it to the jail house, somethan to cosider.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Yeah that is a problem...tourists take it too far and test the NOPD.

You usually get a wide birth..but once you cross the line, the NOPD will "mess you up"
Plus I hear Central Lockup SUCKS.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,720,544 times
Considering that former cops killed people for complaining about brutality and acted as lookouts for drug gangs, I'd say you better clear steer clear of them. I hear the force has improved a lot since those days, but still better not to take chances. I was a chaparone with a school band in a Mardi Gras parade, on Canal St., with a male friend of mine, when he waved to someone in the crowd and did a little dance. Quicker than I could see, a cop had him bent backward over the railings that line the route with his baton at friend's throat. I managed to make myself heard, that he was with the band, and the cop let him go. But I was scared to death!

Yes, a lot of things that would get you arrested in other cities are overlooked but mess with the cops, back-talk to them, and you are in serious trouble.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:25 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,852,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

Yes, a lot of things that would get you arrested in other cities are overlooked but mess with the cops, back-talk to them, and you are in serious trouble.
This is true,but could you even imagine being a cop in New Orleans. No way I could deal with the idiots most of these cops deal with on a daily basis then the minuete the SHTF every news jornalist in town is trying to prosecute you, I've seen the NOPD put up with some real BS before, they have way more patience than I would ever have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: