U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 PM

8 posts, read 14,862 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! I just have a few questions for those of you who live in New Orleans. My husband and I are moving to NO in the fall of 2011. I have read the New Orleans threads till I am blue in the face with no answers to my paricular situation.

A little about us. I am a college student and will transfer after I get there. We have 6 yr old daughter, but no worries about school bc we homeschool. We live in Oklahoma City currently. My husband works entry level at a hotel so I think he will be able to find a job fairly easily. We will have enough money saved to pay about 5 months of rent (depending of how much deposit are down there). I have visited New Orleans 4 times. Once, right after Katrina (I lived in a house that had flooded and we didn't have hot water or gas). Each stay has been atleast a week. We are coming down to visit again in Feb 2011 just the hubby and I.

I am not worried about the crime rate. I believe that common sense will get you along way!! So, to my questions. LOL Sorry, I am a rambler.

My husband and I do not have good credit. How hard is it going to be to find a place with no credit checks?

How bad are the deposits for electric, gas, water and the like?

I have read hotel job are easy to find. Is that true?

We can spend about $800-900 a month. Is this going to give us a decent enough place?

I lived in a shot gun in NO before, but there wasn't a tennent next store. How sound proof are the walls in between units?

I know I have asked ALOT of questions but any advice would be helpful. I tried to give as much information about myself so you guys would be in tune with my exact location.

Thanks so much for and tips/advice you can give me.

I LOVE NO. I fell in love with the city the first time I visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 AM

65 posts, read 138,845 times
As said in many threads on these boards, I would not move to New Orleans or any city if you don't have a job waiting for you. Get the hotel job locked down before you come down here ... just my advice.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,959 times
1.) The credit thing may hold you back on all of these yuppy apartments that are springing up around town, but I don't think any typical laid-back landlord is going to tell you anything. And to me, you move to a place like this to get an older place with character rather than a planned community.

2.) I have trouble remembering this exactly, but I believe it's like Lafayette where they run a "soft" credit check (nothing very thorough), and hopefully if yall pass that you don't have a deposit at all. If someone on here thinks differenly please correct me.

3.) Hospitality jobs are plentiful here! Hotels probably offer more steady employment than do restaurants. I slaved in that industry through high school and the savings paid for a lot of my expenses in college! Thank you tourists! Just be sure you line something up early. This is a really really good time to be looking, summertime not so much..

4.) $800 to $900 will find you a decent place.. a little more would promise you something solid, but your budget allows for something good. Just talk to us and do your own assessment of the neighborhood. If it looks trashy, it probably is.

5.) With an old shotgun, don't count on it. In my late teens lived in an Uptown shotgun and of course at that age we'd have people over late late and get all stupid and loud, a few times the neighbors would pound on the wall at 2 AM to shut us up! But you have to think, I mean an apartment may be a little more soundproof but you may have to cope with neighbors on either side as well as above and below you. But maybe some of the shotguns with recent renovations/improvements would be better for this. Then again, the walls won't be paper-thin either, because back in the day people actually took the time and money to properly build houses.

Good luck with everything!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 14,862 times
@doowapp My husband currently works for Hilton and I think he is inquiring about a transfer. But I am not really concerned based on the fact we have saved enough money for about 5 months of rent and we will get money for another 6 months of rent after that. Thanks for looking out though.
@aab7855 Thank you SO much. Your information REALLY helped. I can't wait to join the ranks!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:09 AM

194 posts, read 490,724 times
With your savings, I think you'll be more than fine, assuming your husband has good job references.

Common sense will definitely get you a long way in the safety department. Just keep asking about neighborhoods here on the forum.

Our credit is in the low "good" range, but no one here has checked it, believe it or not. They just interviewed us, basically. I would strongly suggest a short-term lease to start out. You will learn so much about the city in your first few months, and may want to move to a different area. We started with a six-month lease in a great area, then moved to an amazing area when that was up! Our Entergy (water and gas) deposit was $75, and both of our rentals have included water in the rent.

Our first rental was half of a shotgun double in Broadmoor and it was $750 a month with all bills included (a short-term deal, though.) Our new apartment is in the Garden District and is $525, water included. It is tiny, but I know there are two-bedroom apartments in the area that rent for around $800. The shotgun wasn't terribly noisy, but it would really depend on your neighbors. Our current apartment is pretty quiet, too.

Good luck! I think anyone who feels drawn to live here should come on down and try it out. People are SO welcoming. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "well, welcome to the city and we're glad to have you here" from people I've just met. I had a lady tell me, on our very first day, that "New Orleanians are born all over the world. Sometimes it just takes them a little while to get here"

Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 PM

391 posts, read 484,168 times
You won't have to worry about finding an apartment with bad credit. Look on Craigslist and you should be fine. Make sure you stay away from real estate agents Moderator cut: can't write this, read TOS Rental homes that are listed usually require a credit check. It's the nature of the beast.

I have 2 tips:
#1: Walk the neighborhood before you commit to a lease. This should give you some insight on the neighborhood.
#2: Check the cities website for crime stats for your street, neighborhood or zip code.

Good luck!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-04-2011 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans