U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:19 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,421,372 times

Advertisements

Well I had a single cab truck before Katrina, now I have a large 4 door truck with a cover on the back that can be locked up, just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:56 PM

8 posts, read 14,862 times
We have two cats and trust me they are coming wherever we are! I have already bought a HUGE crate that will fit their litter box and food and still have room for them to roam (it is the biggest wire crate with floor that petsmart makes), plus a medium crate for car rides. We are getting them used to riding it by taking small trips around the block and such. In Feb the hubby and I are coming down to scope out some more of the city but the cats and daughter are staying with family, but it Sept. 2011 we will be there for good.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,611,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Well I had a single cab truck before Katrina, now I have a large 4 door truck with a cover on the back that can be locked up, just a thought.
Love the locked cover on the back idea. My BIL was robbed during the Gustav evacuation. Someone broke into the truck cab got his precious x-box and games, then helped themselves to the stuff in the bed while the family was eating at some restaurant in Hattiesburg.

I imagine every cat person has their own tips for evacuation, but I'll offer up a few of mine. I don't put them in the large dog kennel with litter box anymore. I think it was Ivan or Isabelle or one of those anyways, when I learned that: 1. being trapped in a car for 12 hours in bumper to bumper traffic enjoying the odor of cat poop is not one of my favorite things and 2. kitties end up being flung about inside the large cage. Pretty much we ended up with water, litter, and dried food all over the car and the cats after about three hours.

I pick up all food after midnight before evacuation. All they do is end up barfing up anything they eat because they are upset over the car ride and someone always ends up peeing all over themselves the moment they are put in the carrier, (usually Mimi), and I usually end up having to clean that up before we even get in the car. For bathroom breaks the litter box is set up and furry people are let loose in the car to do their thing. This usually results in nothing. They usually don't use the pot; I think someone did once, usually they are too busy being freaked out to do anything, (do not open the car door while they are roaming about or you will lose a kitty only open the door when all kitties are back in their carriers.)

So the next evacuation we opted to do individual sized carriers seat belted into the backseat and doing potty/water breaks every so often. It was for the Gustav evacuation, when Peeks discovered how to unzip her own carrier. So I was stuck with this cat clinging to my seat loudly meowing in my ear for the 2-3 hour ride up to Slidell. Which brings me to tip number 2. Make sure your cats can't escape and wander about the car. While amusing at first, riding with a cat yowling in your ear and wanting to sit under the break pedal for longer than 10 min., will make you insane. Peeks now has a plastic, zipper free carrier.

Lastly, I have a plastic "Cat Evac" tote. It contains harnesses/leashes, (Peeks can escape from her harness as well, I just use it as a back up plan), catnip, toys, shot records/tags (instead of putting them in a file, I just put them in the tote), and a list of things to bring that don't fit in the tote, (food, litter, scoop, kennel, etc.).

Old 12-13-2010, 09:05 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,990,702 times
How much sounds like a good 'hurricane emergency' fund?

You have the right idea. No power equals no ATM. Cash is king. The more the merrier.

How fast do hotels in 'safer' hurricane areas fill up in the event of a hurricane coming into New Orleans?

The term safe and hurricane in the same sentence isn't usually how it works. A lot of people dodge a bullet every year, however. Common sense! Watch the Weather Channel closely and get the hell out early is the best policy. No debate.

Where is the best place to go? I have always thought Metarie, but am I going to be able to find a place if the time comes?

The best place to go would be as far away from the coast as possible. Little Rock would be a better choice than Metrrreee.

Thanks for all the replies.

No charge. Have fun in Nawlins. Hurricanes are just part of the landscape. You'll be fine.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 AM

30 posts, read 71,848 times
Did anybody try flying out of here? Would you leave your car at the airport?
Our closest relatives are in Seattle...

Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
One or two of the airways flooded, making emergency flights in, after the storm, kinda backed-up. And all flights booked up quickly with tourists trying to get out of town and back home. If you bought a ticket every time a storm looked like it might hit N.O., you'd be broke.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,331,678 times
During Gustav, they increased the flight frequencies at the airport for people leaving and by the time the evacuation was called the city was filling flights with evacuees.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:13 PM

72 posts, read 277,726 times
Hi Elena...flying out was impossible in Lake Charles....they only fly a few times a day and only to Houston, and everything was booked...and they just stopped flights at last, because they had to get the airport secured( which didn't work, the terminal was a loss)....
and Drouzin, OMG, did you post bring back memories of that hellish 26 hour evac from Rita!
~our 2 large dogs in a huge wire crate having a knock-down-dragout fight in the cage, till I had to pull over and literally throw water on them thru the bars to get them to stop...and while doing that on the side of the road, I got covered in fire ants from standing in some grass and got bit to hell, so I was in pain and crying with the frustration and stress of it all for awhile...it taught me that even dogs that are the best of friends can stress out,too, and just bite.
~the 5 cats we rounded up all huddled together in ONE litter box, refusing to come out even when we finally got to our destination
~our two old Shih-tzus huddled in the truck cab with our 2 scrunched in 6 foot teenagers, and us praying the dogs wouldn't vomit like they usually did....

Get out of town early and as far as you can, I'll second that! Still, I miss the South! Want to come back....jealous you get to move down there....

Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 AM

194 posts, read 490,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommagalpin View Post
Thanks so much zarabeth!

But still, there is something about the city that I cannot give up. I have loved it since my first visit and I am determined to live there and thrive with my fellow New Orleanians no matter what.
Right on! We've been here for eight months now and love it more every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommagalpin View Post
After all I have heard, I plan to evacuate back to Oklahoma in the case of emergency evacuation. We will use it as an excuse to see family.

It is 12 hrs from NO to Oklahoma City where we live...our family lives here. I'm sure wih traffic it may be more like 20 hrs, but ya do what ya gotta.
Same here. We'll just make an impromptu visit to Atlanta, where we're from. Thanks everyone for all the tips. I had heard some of them already - like having a full gas tank - but really hadn't thought about the ATM thing. Hopefully none of us will have to do this for awhile.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,145,400 times
The safest place to run during an evacuation is at right angles to the projected path of the storm, as far away as you can get and as soon as possible.

A "hurricane fund" really isn't a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans