U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2010, 04:49 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,494 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am moving to NOLA in early January for a job promotion. I have only been there for the interview and was in the French Quarter. This is where I will be working. I found a place in Metaire, but somebody beat me to it, so now I am contemplating Westbank. Found a very cute, inexpensive place, but have heard so many varying opinions on both areas. Can anyone advise what may be good areas to live in? Best areas for commute, crime, parking, rent cost, etc?
I'd really appreciate any help as I am basically totally clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 PM
 
1,347 posts, read 2,070,727 times
Reputation: 945
You will be working in the Quarter? You should live in the city then.

Parking is always on the street.
I'd say look Uptown...I live in a dump but its in a good neighborhood for $700 mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,307 posts, read 2,208,270 times
Reputation: 1495
Can't say enough about Uptown. Metairie is okay, I will keep my silence on the majority of the Westbank. But if you move somewhere suburban like that you will feel robbed of the true New Orleans experience. You can live in a brick slab house near a strip mall anywhere, go to the city! Uptown and some parts of Mid-City would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 AM
 
194 posts, read 495,652 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
But if you move somewhere suburban like that you will feel robbed of the true New Orleans experience. You can live in a brick slab house near a strip mall anywhere, go to the city! Uptown and some parts of Mid-City would be ideal.
A thousand times "yes"! If I worked in the FQ I would probably live in Mid-City. Parking sucks in the Quarter, so hopefully your employer has a plan for that. Also, if you lived in Mid-City near Canal street you could take the streetcar to the Quarter. Marigny is nice and right next to the FQ (parking still sucks), but I think Mid-City is safer. I'm still kind of new, though, and I live closer to Uptown. As far as the Westbank, Algiers Point is gorgeous, but commuting across the river would suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 12:35 PM
 
145 posts, read 582,660 times
Reputation: 139
I ditto the other posters. If you don't need a yard, then you should be in the city. Check out Craigslist. I found my 1st New Orleans apartment there. It was a furnished 1 BR (not a studio) in the Garden District for $850/month, no lease, plenty of street parking. My husband & I have a big dog, a cat, and plans for children, so we needed more space. If not for the canine, we'd probably still be off St. Charles somewhere.

For me, the best way to find a rental was post my own ad in the "Housing Wanted" section. I had lots of legitimate responses from landlords who hadn't posted their rentals. I guess they didn't want to get hit w/ the spammers themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 02:43 PM
 
104 posts, read 439,254 times
Reputation: 83
you don't mention:
where on the westbank
what your family situation is

I would vote, as others, for in the city of NO first, maybe Algiers Point second, and Metairie a distant third
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA - Kingstowne Subdivision
391 posts, read 495,459 times
Reputation: 361
I hate when people post a question but never answer or update the forum with their decision.

Oh well....

Me, myself, personally would move to Mid City before I ever looked at a place on the Westbank. It's to quiet for my taste. If we read between the lines, you were looking for a place in Metairie so the Westbank is probably the next best thing.

Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,754 posts, read 10,538,158 times
Reputation: 6953
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpants1979 View Post
Hi everyone, I am moving to NOLA in early January for a job promotion. I have only been there for the interview and was in the French Quarter. This is where I will be working. I found a place in Metaire, but somebody beat me to it, so now I am contemplating Westbank. Found a very cute, inexpensive place, but have heard so many varying opinions on both areas. Can anyone advise what may be good areas to live in? Best areas for commute, crime, parking, rent cost, etc?
I'd really appreciate any help as I am basically totally clueless.
The Westbank is really crappy. Live in the city, Uptown should be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 AM
 
661 posts, read 1,063,886 times
Reputation: 135
no lease?

I don't understand why i can't find any nice looking ones on craigslist. craigslist rentals for NOLA either looks like section 8 housing. Are landlords scared to advertise because they have to "see" the person renting first? Isn't this against the law?

Did you advertise on craigslist? I am trying to get out of Maryland before summer. Help me find a place there!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dal2aus View Post
I ditto the other posters. If you don't need a yard, then you should be in the city. Check out Craigslist. I found my 1st New Orleans apartment there. It was a furnished 1 BR (not a studio) in the Garden District for $850/month, no lease, plenty of street parking. My husband & I have a big dog, a cat, and plans for children, so we needed more space. If not for the canine, we'd probably still be off St. Charles somewhere.

For me, the best way to find a rental was post my own ad in the "Housing Wanted" section. I had lots of legitimate responses from landlords who hadn't posted their rentals. I guess they didn't want to get hit w/ the spammers themselves.

Last edited by thealfa; 02-10-2011 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: added details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM
 
194 posts, read 495,652 times
Reputation: 174
You have to just keep looking every day, several times a day. Also, post your own ad in the "housing wanted" section, with details (not personal info, of course) of what you're looking for. Also look on nola.com in the real estate section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top