U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM

3,076 posts, read 3,348,689 times

Advertisements

Handy nuns rehabilitate Katrina-damaged homes - Yahoo! News

A really good story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:49 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,643,901 times
Say what you want about nuns, (and anyone who has spent any time in Catholic school with a nun would probably have plenty to say), but those sisters always roll up their sleeves and get to work when something needs doing.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Say what you want about nuns, (and anyone who has spent any time in Catholic school with a nun would probably have plenty to say), but those sisters always roll up their sleeves and get to work when something needs doing.

They sure do

Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 AM

6 posts, read 10,879 times
I've always said, you haven't really lived unless you've attended a school run by nuns!

Thanks so much for the interesting story.

Just the other night I found a copy of "The Bells of St. Mary's" collecting dust on my shelf, so I watched it. Ingrid Bergman played the Mother Superior, Sr. Benedict, and Bing Crosby was Father O'Malley. Sr. Benedict was a hoot. She played baseball and taught a student how to box, getting herself punched in the process. I could see Sr. Benedict gutting houses just like the sisters in the article if she were real.

I've seen many sisters doing "dirty work" over the years. Their always willing to work.

Good article.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaK View Post
I've always said, you haven't really lived unless you've attended a school run by nuns!

Thanks so much for the interesting story.

Just the other night I found a copy of "The Bells of St. Mary's" collecting dust on my shelf, so I watched it. Ingrid Bergman played the Mother Superior, Sr. Benedict, and Bing Crosby was Father O'Malley. Sr. Benedict was a hoot. She played baseball and taught a student how to box, getting herself punched in the process. I could see Sr. Benedict gutting houses just like the sisters in the article if she were real.

I've seen many sisters doing "dirty work" over the years. Their always willing to work.

Good article.

Agreed and thanks!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,193,104 times
Quote:
She played baseball and taught a student how to box, getting herself punched in the process.
When I was a youngster there was a fight between two boys in my class. The class crowded around them trying to break them up, and our teacher, Sr. Lucie (a real rough cookie, all 5'0", 90 lbs. of her) grabbed one of the boys from behind and pulled him away from the other boy. Assuming she was one of the other kids in class, he elbowed her in the face and broke her nose.

When he realized what he had done, he stood there in shock. Then Sister reeled back and slapped him so hard in the face that he must've been knocked clear across the room.

I miss those nuns sometimes.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM

Oh, METRO, that's really something! Broke her nose!

If that happened today, and the sister smacked the kid after the punch, the kid's parents would be in an uproar, demanding an apology and her dismissal. How dare you strike my wittle angel.

Although I must say, my parents would have blame me if I had been struck by Sister, and they would have said I deserved it and had it coming. Come to think of it, anytime I complained about the Sisters or the lay teachers, my folks always sided with the teacher.

[SIZE=2]
Sister Marcelena explains why gossip makes Jesus cry[/SIZE]

I stumbled upon this one day while looking for something else, but the nun's mentality (smacking the kids silly) shows how times have changed - could this be why our young people are getting into so much trouble these days, not enough smacking?

It's an editorial about General Hospital, written by a Sister of Christian Charity (the ones who taught me), and she has a mad crush on Maurice Bernard who plays Sonny on that mobster show.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,193,104 times
If it had been me, first sister would've messed me up, then the Principal at the time would've messed me up, and then when I got home my parents would've messed me up some more, and then forced me to apologize to the nun and to my entire class for causing a disturbance, and possibly to the kid I was fighting with.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
If it had been me, first sister would've messed me up, then the Principal at the time would've messed me up, and then when I got home my parents would've messed me up some more, and then forced me to apologize to the nun and to my entire class for causing a disturbance, and possibly to the kid I was fighting with.
I hear ya'. I think that's why we knew to keep ourselves in line. If we didn't, there was nearly no end to the consequences. Not to mention not sitting down for a week.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 AM

9 posts, read 13,795 times
Quote:

Absolutely! Mom and Dad sacrificed deeply to send my sister and me to a school that was run by nuns, and I'm forever thankful for their choice to do so.

Those years carry some of the happiest memories of my life, and having lived away from the New Orleans area for 15 years (but moving back in 3 weeks!), I've always been strangely comforted on the rare occasion when I see nuns while out and about in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or