U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 16,816 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I might be moving to the NO area soon and have to fly a lot with my job. What is a conservative commute time from the Northshore to the airport? It will be anywhere from early morning to late afternoon/evening. Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,959 times
You can get from "downtown" (it's not all that big) Covington to the airport in just under an hour, and since Mandeville is closer to the lake it's only 45 minutes down the Causeway. But you never know about Metairie/Kenner/Northshore traffic, so allowing another 30 minutes "just in case" is probably a good idea. You probably won't need it, but it's always good to have flex time. MSY is surprisingly small given New Orleans' tourism industry, I guess it would be considered a "medium-sized" airport. It's extremely easy to get there and quickly locate parking and where everything is located in the terminal. Good luck coming down here, the Northshore is a really nice place to be.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 16,816 times
Thank you for your response. Also, I was curious how often they close the causeway due to weather, accidents, etc? I'm sure it goes in cycles, but is it once a month on average or less/more than that? If they do close it, do you have to go through Slidell to get to the airport? Or the West side of the lake? Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
Not sure about distances, but I would go on the west side of the lake as there is less traffic there and all high-speed.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,368,233 times
aab7855 is right. Plus if your going to the airport the drive on the causeway may be longer because of everyone heading to work but once you get on I-10 you shouldn't hit much traffic heading west.

On the other hand if you're drive to the airport is in the afternoon I-10 can have a lot of traffic to deal with.

Also I wouldn't go west of the lake because it will add 45mins to an hour to your drive time.

The causeway doesn't close down that much, maybe several times a year but they get it open back up soon after an accident.

Plus the will caravan you across it if the fug sets in but the speed will be 20mph.

You can also call the bridge ahead of time to see the driving conditions.
504-835-3116

busta

Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM

104 posts, read 435,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
You can get from "downtown" (it's not all that big) Covington to the airport in just under an hour, and since Mandeville is closer to the lake it's only 45 minutes down the Causeway. But you never know about Metairie/Kenner/Northshore traffic, so allowing another 30 minutes "just in case" is probably a good idea. You probably won't need it, but it's always good to have flex time. MSY is surprisingly small given New Orleans' tourism industry, I guess it would be considered a "medium-sized" airport. It's extremely easy to get there and quickly locate parking and where everything is located in the terminal. Good luck coming down here, the Northshore is a really nice place to be.
what s/he said

I think the causeway was closed once in the last 6 months when some idiot drove into the lake (reaching for her purse?). the drive "around" the lake via the west is much longer, at least 30+ minutes, so it would be a back up in case of closure or really bad fog, but again, it happens but not once a month (and fog season is not that long)

the bigger question is how much time will be added by the reconstruction at the southern end as they raise the levee. so you should probably add 15 minutes to the above estimates if it's during the heavier traffic times (usually well cleared out by 9)

here is the causeway website for reference--all the updates on closings are there along with web cams of the lines--which usually take no more than 10 minutes even at heavier times:

Causeway Bridge - Home

Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 25,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1 View Post
Thank you for your response. Also, I was curious how often they close the causeway due to weather, accidents, etc? I'm sure it goes in cycles, but is it once a month on average or less/more than that? If they do close it, do you have to go through Slidell to get to the airport? Or the West side of the lake? Thanks again.
The only reason why the causeway will close for bad weather is due to a hurricane. It closes may be for an hour or less when an accident happens. Even though the causeway is a 24 mile commute is an easy drive as most of the cars drive at speed limit even during peak hours. There is an alternate route to the airport driving first towards hammond via I-12 and then turning south on I-55. It will probably add another 30 min to your commute in case the causeway gets closed for a prolonged time.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 AM

28 posts, read 45,529 times
If you live on the Northshore you might consider flying out of Gulfport! Since my parents live in Covington, I fly into Gulfport and the drive along I-10/12 is a breeze. It might be longer but it's not much and it's a straight shot. No real traffic to hold you up.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM

272 posts, read 417,085 times
I live in Mandeville, but I fly out frequently to visit my parents in NC. I always try to schedule my flight very early in the morning (around 7 AM) to avoid traffic. For me, it's usually about a 45 min drive without traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or