U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,326 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Baltimore to New Orleans next month. Goodbye cold weather!
Our daughter is in kindergarten and we are looking at Episcopal schools in New Orleans. Any input on these St Georges, St Pauls, Trinity, etc. would be much appreciated.
We'll be living in the Garden District and I am not opposed to a short (under 20 minutes) commute.
I plan on visiting these schools in person but would welcome your experiences to help make the decision. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 01:21 PM

640 posts, read 1,057,252 times
I went to Trinity and loved it. It's a great school with a great education for your kids. My niece and nephew go to St. Paul's and their parents seem to like it. I don't really think St. George's is as good of a school as Trinity or St. Paul's. I could be wrong though. Keep in mind these schools can be a bit pricey.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:04 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,925,132 times
St. Martin's used to be the best, but it is out in Metairie, off Airline Hwy. And it is about $15K/yr as I remember.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:54 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,130,969 times
Yeah, if you're investing that much capital I wouldn't consider St. George's. I went there and turned out fine, as did a few of my classmates, but if you were to track where Trinity alum headed compared to us there would be a glaring difference in favor of Trinity. Having gone to Episcopal elementary, Catholic high school and state universities I am a bigger fan of (good) public schools now, but once again if you're willing to pay and specifically want an Episcopal school I'd say Trinity would be the way to go.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,326 times
Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated! rcp11889, can you tell me what about Trinity you liked? Something I can tell my daughter, like...the playground is awesome....or, you get to be in a Parade, the art room is really fun, etc?
Also, was St Georges severely hit by Katrina? Are there less resources in place there compared to Trinity or St Pauls? Anyone know more on St Martins?
thanks again.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM

640 posts, read 1,057,252 times
You do get to be in a parade on Mardi Gras day in 7th grade at Trinity. 8th Grade gets to go on a week long trip to North Carolina. Actually, all middle school grades get to go on some sort of trip. I really just overall liked the atmosphere of the school. Very nurturing while at the same time a great academic experience.

Also, St. Martin's is kind of on a downfall...I found out today that their 3rd Grade has 3 people in it or something like that.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 AM

St. George's was unaffected by Katrina, and they still charge an arm and a leg, I think they just baby the kids too much and have "open" admissions. I don't know what went wrong along the way but all I know is that most people with whom I went through (we're 25 now) aren't doing so well. I know nothing about St. Paul's

Old 12-29-2010, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,318 times
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } I went to St. George's from K-8 so I am here to defend it. Unlike aab7855, I would highly recommend St. George's. It is a small school with a very close student to teacher ratio, allowing for all teachers to know all the students at a closer level which aides in their education and all students get the attention they deserve. And I wouldn't say that St. George's "babies" their kids. On the contrary I found the school's system to be quite strict. While I was there detentions (missed recess) was given for things such as not having your text book one single time. And once you get 3 detentions you get a "Friday detention" where for after school students have to sit in silence (can't read, study, anything) for 2 hrs after school. Aab7855, you believe that your fellow peers have not found great success. Although my success is yet to be seen, I am currently a university student in one of the nation's highest ranked architecture programs and am doing great. Also, Sydney Torres (the owner of SDT) and New York Giant's Quarterback Eli Manning attended St. George's (before high school at Newman) and they have obviously found success. The school has also modernized and remodeled much of its campus and buildings starting right before Katrina. It's almost like a completely different school now since I've graduated, and in a good way.

To the original poster, it comes down to this. St. George's, Trinity, St. Paul's, and St. Martin's are all GREAT Episcopal schools. You could not go wrong by sending your child to any of them. They are all however different. St. Martin's is quite large as it caters PK-12th grade whereas the other three only go to the 8th. It's all about the right match, each school has different benefits. It simply depends on which one best fits your kids. I would highly recommend taking a tour of all four. Good luck on your search!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 PM

I'm glad you had a good experience there. I don't know, maybe my class was just a fluke year or something but most of the people I hear about don't seem to be doing too well. And let's not get this confused, certainly a quality education can be received there.. but looking back now and understanding the value of a dollar, I personally wouldn't invest in sending my kids there.. Catholic school (loads cheaper) would be my choice. When I enrolled at Jesuit after St G I found myself, in spite of taking all advanced classes in middle school, to be totally unprepared. We were taught zero grammar, at least we had never been made to study the actual mechanics of it. I had to learn the basics from stratch and play "catch up" just to pass. Math and science ate me for lunch. The kids from places like Holy Name and Christian Brothers and the working class Catholic schools in Metairie and the Westbank seemed to know a lot more than me. Just my experience though.

There's a lot I could say about Eli Manning, but I won't. I'll let people think he's a positive role model if that's what they believe.

But anyway, like NOLA said, the best thing you can do is check all of them out and make your decision from there. Good luck to you.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
Visit St. Andrew's Episcopal School located at 8012 Oak Street in New Orleans. It's a small nuturing school and provides an excellent education. Highly recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or