U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 10,259 times

Advertisements

Howdy , I'm moving to New Orleans in January for a job from Hawaii/Houston. I've been to Louisiana just about every year for the past 11 years for events and vacations but I don't have a clue where to hunker down and live. My boss and fellow coworkers have recommended Uptown, Metairie, and Kenner, but what about Mandeville, Slidell and other surrounding areas?

A little bit about myself and what I am looking for to help you guys help me out if you would please:

24 year old male
BBA - Marketing (looking to attain my MBA)
Currently live in the "burbs"
Laid back, don't party as much as I used to
Looking for a safe place to live that's not in the boonies.
Not looking to purchase a house
1000-1400 rent is where I am trying to budget

Now I've done some research and have read several topics here. I am not too worried about crime rate, I've seen quite a bit in Houston (been robbed, gunpoint, lived by acres homes etc.) As most say just be smart about where you go. Any who, I welcome all and any suggestions and appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 11:51 PM

933 posts, read 1,067,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVo124 View Post
Howdy , I'm moving to New Orleans in January for a job from Hawaii/Houston. I've been to Louisiana just about every year for the past 11 years for events and vacations but I don't have a clue where to hunker down and live. My boss and fellow coworkers have recommended Uptown, Metairie, and Kenner, but what about Mandeville, Slidell and other surrounding areas?

A little bit about myself and what I am looking for to help you guys help me out if you would please:

24 year old male
BBA - Marketing (looking to attain my MBA)
Currently live in the "burbs"
Laid back, don't party as much as I used to
Looking for a safe place to live that's not in the boonies.
Not looking to purchase a house
1000-1400 rent is where I am trying to budget

Now I've done some research and have read several topics here. I am not too worried about crime rate, I've seen quite a bit in Houston (been robbed, gunpoint, lived by acres homes etc.) As most say just be smart about where you go. Any who, I welcome all and any suggestions and appreciate the help.
Welcome to New Orleans. Your research is on point as New Orleans is more safer than it's made out to be, and trust me that anyone who views New Orleans as dangerous doesn't know anything about the real New Orleans because crime here is anything but random.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 AM

1,235 posts, read 2,135,669 times
Uptown, Uptown, Uptown. Thats the place to be if you want beautiful architecture, nightlife, and an authentic city feel. Most of Uptown is very safe. I don't know who recommended Kenner to you, but they must own a house in one of the nicer neighborhoods near the lake.. because other than that, "Kennah" is a dump! Metairie is okay, if you really want to live somewhere that looks like any other American suburb. Mandeville/Covington is very nice and has a little more of the rural feel since it's in the piney woods of the Northshore. Slidell is pretty much like Kenner, just a little safer...

Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM

Aw, I was looking at the Lakes of Chateau and Villas in Kenner, has anyone lived or have friends that live at these two apartments? Everyone seems to be recommending Uptown so I will do some research in that area, any recommendations as to which section? Also are there apartment hunters in New Orleans, I have yet to find any. I like some houses in Mandeville but how long does it take to come in town to New Orleans and back with traffic?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 AM

310 posts, read 769,307 times
I live only a few miles from those apartments and have several friends living at Lakes of Chateau. They are pretty nice apartments, securely gated, swimming pool... Here's the only problem that happens everywhere in Kenner: one side of you is a big Wal Mart, one side is country club style houses (gated community), one is a so-so park area, and the other is nasty ghetto. I think it would be a good place to stay temporarily while you get a feel for the city, but I wouldn't make it a long term thing. The only reason my friends do is because they want to be halfway between their work in St. Charles Parish and the city.

It's safe, but you'll have to drive a good 10 miles for any kinds of nightlife, New Orleans itself is 13 miles away, and in a place like Kenner, it's difficult for an out of towner to find people to hang out with, mainly because of the lack of social scene.

It might be considered part of the New Orleans area but it has zero New Orleans vibe. With the exception of a few developments, Kenner is low class suburbia. Wish I knew then what I know now.

My biggest piece of advice is if you're single and looking for a social life (not necessarily partying), stay away from the 'burbs here - even the Northshore. Unless you enjoy the solitude and your own company (or you don't mind commuting for your social scene), you are guranteed to hit a wall of boredom.

Last edited by Pook77; 12-27-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM

What does New Orleans offer in terms of social life, my boss was recommending Uptown for that as well. I live in Houston so it takes 30-60 minutes to go anywhere, same in Hawaii even though the area was smaller so I'm used to driving far distances; plus I like listening to music in the car.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 PM

310 posts, read 769,307 times
I believe that question should be "what DOESN'T New Orleans offer in terms of social life?" There's not much that you're not going to find here. It's all a matter of your preference.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM

104 posts, read 436,227 times
if you go through old posts with the same question you'll find this same response: that in NO proper there are very few desirable "apartment complexes"--and that is actually a good thing. instead you rent a half house or something, uptown or in mid-city (or marigny or bywater or some other cool old neighborhood I'm forgetting). I don't want to diss Jefferson Parish (where Metairie and Kenner are located) but under your circumstances, I would totally avoid that area and find something in the city instead. if you can't afford a preliminary visit to secure housing, get something really short term so you can then explore and visit a few places for a longer term lease (not in Kenner, Metairie or the North Shore)

Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM

4,141 posts, read 9,474,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Your research is on point as New Orleans is more safer than it's made out to be, and trust me that anyone who views New Orleans as dangerous doesn't know anything about the real New Orleans because crime here is anything but random.
That's interesting as I know someone who is a NOLA native and she loves it but told me she had to move outside town (to Covington) because she is scared of the crime and couldn't live with it despite how much she loves the place. That's two completely opposite opinions, do you think some people are just unable to handle it?

I'm just trying to get an accurate feel for what it's like and really know very little about it.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,975,980 times
If you're 24 and single, you can scratch all the burbs off your list. You're way too young for that. Uptown if you can afford it and Mid City if you can't. In either of these areas, you can get anywhere you need to be in 10min and there area a lot of places to walk to. Two other neighborhoods are worth mentioning. The Marigny/Bywater area is a more bohemian enclave close to the French Quarter with lots of stuff going on all the time. The Warehouse District is a mini Manhattan right next to the CBD, more upscale but a little expensive.

Last edited by rburnett; 01-06-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or