U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 10,205,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
My dream is to find a job that I can telecommute. If you do not mind, what do you do? Thank you.
You must work your way to that. You must find a job that allows occasional telecommuting, then work your way from telecommuting once a month up to once a week then up to two/three times a week then all the way to working from home solely when you've proved yourself. It takes 5-6 years to get in that position at most companies assuming you are always ranked highly. If you have one year that you don't perform, they will decide that you "aren't focusing" when working from home. Like any other thing in life, it takes years of paying the piper so you can dance later.

Sorry but there is no job that you can just start telecommuting. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but that's the truth. You must put in years of work. As far as which kind of work, there's only one requirement: The work must be able to be done remotely. So, phone, computer, cell phone, and travel are usually required. Working from home usually implies more travel if you deal with customers, so it's a tradeoff.

See the movie "Up in the Air" which addresses the old "travel method" and the new "online method".

Also, working from home is a lot harder than you think. There's very little social interaction, unless you call IM's interaction, and there's no going out for a beer with a colleague when that colleague is in Chicago or Atlanta. Be careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 PM

41 posts, read 107,884 times
Given the current budget problems in Texas, you might have a hard time finding a teaching job in Austin. :/

Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,829 times
You seem to have correctly assessed both cities so far. I'm from New Orleans but I lived in Austin for about 4 years. Some of this will probably be biased

Austin good points: There is way more to do outside/in nature in Austin than in New Orleans. That was one of the things I really liked about it. You can go swimming (topless) in a lake, you can go hiking, there are little creeks in somewhat hidden places. SXSW is there. Even though it's expensive to see a lot of the big names, there are tons of free shows and people playing on the sidewalks. Even if you don't like all the music, you'll find something you like probably. Austin is also very convenient for getting around. The bus system is cheap and goes all over. And they're always on time and there are even some free buses. Pretty much any restaurant, book store (check out Half Price books), library, music club, park, or school is within a few blocks of a transit stop. THE FOOD. Coming from new Orleans I thought I could not be impressed by food. But the Tex-Mex is to die for. In fact, you gotta go to this place called Regio's. There is just good TexMex all over the city. There are a lot of specialty pizza places. Mangia and Rockin Tomato are great. Even the fast food is great and healthier because there are places like Schlotzky's and Thundercloud. There's really low crime there. One year there were three murders. In a whole year! Even if you live in a "bad" area of town it's probably still a good area. I lived in one of those areas, but there was no crime, it was easy to get around, and I got to interact with people from many different cultures. The only drawback was that we didn't have a starbucks close by. The schools are pretty good too. And it's vegetarian and pet friendly.

The bad: Austin is a very trendy city. It's something that takes a while for you to notice. The indie music is everywhere and it all sounds the same. And the prevalence of skinny jeans increases the closer you got to 6th street. And I don't know what your ethnicity is, but it's pretty white in the downtown area. That's why I liked living in the "poor" area, it was a pretty even mix of everyone. And Austin is a very politically minded city, but sometimes I feel like a lot of people there protest just for the hell of it and don't even bother to think through their opinions.

Now for New Orleans. Since you said you've been here more I won't spend as much space on new orleans.

The Good: The people here are way laid back. it's very live-and-let-live. It's more musical than Austin. Both cities are known for music, but while Austin has a lot of live music, New Orleans just breathes music. I don't even know how to explain it. Everyone here has rhythm. There are tons of talented, multi-instrumentalist musicians here with no formal training. I'm biased because I am a musician, but when you want to jam in New Orleans, you don't have to teach people what to play. They can just feel it and jump in right on key. I didn't appreciate the talent in New Orleans until I moved away. And of course the food is amazing. It seems like every day there is a new food festival popping up. There's good food everywhere you look. I know you said that you're over Bourbon street, but I think in the day time, the French Quarter is still a nice experience. I always walk down Royal street early in the day, get something to eat from the french market and go sit by the river to eat. There are lots of little areas of town that offer an alternative to the FQ. Magazine Street (though it's getting kind of trendy for my taste), Esplanade for some out of the way restaurants, Carrollton Avenue, etc. Jazz Fest, Voodoo Fest and Essence Fest are here. There's more emphasis on traditional music here, but we still pull big names. Also, MARDI GRAS!!!

The Bad: Crime is bad. BAD. But honestly, it's mostly gangs killing each other. The cops are corrupt. If you're not black, this might not be a problem. Sometimes our laidbackness turns into laziness. Don't try to do business on Friday. For many people, Thursday afternoon is the beginning of the weekend. Public transportation is less reliable and costs more. While we are somewhat vegetarian friendly, there are less options for healthy food overall. Schools aren't that great, especially after the storm. Pet owners seem to be increasing so I guess we're pet friendly. I've only ever had a gold fish so I never thought about it.

To summarize: If you want a neater, cleaner experience with lots of structured fun go to Austin. If you want a messier experience that sometimes throws you a curveball that can turn into the time of your life, go to New Orleans.

Forgot to add: While both cities have beautiful neighborhoods, I think Austin's are better. I was always discovering beautiful hidden little community.

Last edited by RainaW; 02-05-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 02:11 PM

41 posts, read 107,884 times
While I have never been to New Orleans, I can tell you that Austin is wonderful!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 908 times
This is awesome. Those are the two cities that I am debating between. My first priority is the arts, Film and theatre. I heard that both cities are growing in both film and theatre. Is there any opinion which one is more fit for the theatre and film scene?
Thanks!!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:28 PM

14,198 posts, read 20,535,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashleyBehmster View Post
This is awesome. Those are the two cities that I am debating between. My first priority is the arts, Film and theatre. I heard that both cities are growing in both film and theatre. Is there any opinion which one is more fit for the theatre and film scene?
Thanks!!
Film goes to New Orleans and Baton Rouge pretty easily.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:25 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,352,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Film goes to New Orleans and Baton Rouge pretty easily.
Yep. LA (the state) had more feature films produced here last year than all of CA.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:20 PM

67 posts, read 72,770 times
Austin for safety, clean, not run down, more economic growth and opportunity, good public schools, more cosmopolitan people.

NOLA for food, festivals, and walkability.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:50 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,686,208 times
I never lived in either but visited both often. For a small town that was featured in a big major film, I am madly in love with Natchitoches. It is small, lively, historical, charming and far more than I expected. It is not NOLA, nor is it Texas. The USA only has two truly unique states. Louisiana is one of them.

Falling in love with PR spin and eye candy is no way to select a place to live. Do your home work. Spend several days, read the newspapers and by all means study the phone book. It is the heart of any city.

Texas is larger and has the wealth. Louisiana has the big heart.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM

416 posts, read 470,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
Austin for safety, clean, not run down, more economic growth and opportunity, good public schools, more cosmopolitan people.

NOLA for food, festivals, and walkability.
Agree with bolded part. But as a long time vegetarian living in NOLA, I'll add food is better in Austin well over NOLA. NOLA has the worse vegetarian food other than MS. And less humidity means its more walkable too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans