U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM

314 posts, read 660,704 times

Advertisements

What is the neighborhood surrounding the UNO campus and what section of the city is that?..Pre Katrina(2004) I visited the area with a friend whom attending school there and was charmed by the houses and landscape and thought it would be a good a live ofcourse prior to 8/29/05

Does anyone know has the area bounced back yet and what were the ethnic demographics prior to the storm and now?

Last edited by brother's keeper; 01-05-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM

So no one that post in hear is familiar with that area?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,507 times
Lakefront - It's coming back. It's a racially-mixed, middle class neighborhood with well-kept homes and some university housing.

Last edited by missingnola; 01-05-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM

Okay ...I sort of figured some of those homes were university apartments but it's been a while I don't recall a lake near there...Being unfamiliar with the area I assumed we were in Eastern NO or another predominantly middle class AA enclave ...Is Lakefront anywhere near an Soundview/Clearview(no i'm not talkig about Lakeview) or something like that area? And is that section of the city also coming back?

Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,974,520 times
The area between Leon C. Simon and the lake is generally refered to as the Lakefront. This area is high ground and had little Katrina flooding (UNO is in this area). This is a higher income area with big houses, demographically older and white. The area between Leon C Simon and the Interstate is generally refered to as Gentilly. This area is very low and flooded badly from katrina, but is coming back and there is some commerce there. Demographically is 50/50 with a range of ages depending on where you are. NO east is a entirely separate area that has a lot of people, but is struggling to come back commercially.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,932,128 times
N.O. East is on the eastern side of the Industrial Canal. Clearview Pkwy is a major street in Metairie, running from the river to the lake. UNO is almost on Lake Pontchartrain, kinda hard to miss.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
The area between Leon C. Simon and the lake is generally refered to as the Lakefront. This area is high ground and had little Katrina flooding (UNO is in this area). This is a higher income area with big houses, demographically older and white. The area between Leon C Simon and the Interstate is generally refered to as Gentilly. This area is very low and flooded badly from katrina, but is coming back and there is some commerce there. Demographically is 50/50 with a range of ages depending on where you are. NO east is a entirely separate area that has a lot of people, but is struggling to come back commercially.

Props but i'm an out of towner and totally unfamiliar with those locations/areas(outside of UNO)...Glad to hear that sections of the city are making a comeback though..I enjoyed my brief stay in NOLA and thought it was such an vibrant city full of life and character..also some of my closest friends from college are from down there.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
N.O. East is on the eastern side of the Industrial Canal. Clearview Pkwy is a major street in Metairie, running from the river to the lake. UNO is almost on Lake Pontchartrain, kinda hard to miss.
Excuse me but i'm not from the area but I'm almost positive the ______view I was talking about is in New Orleans city limits...I think it may be an predominantly AA community judging from the person I met from there but I could be wrong(No she wasn't ghetto i'm just assuming cause I hear the city is very segregated)

Yeah don't get me wrong....I do remember driving by an body of water which I assume was Lake Ponchartrain while leaving the campus but I don't recall it being that close..Then again this was 6 and a half yrs ago

Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM

67 posts, read 155,506 times
Here is a neighborhood map for you. Maybe you will see the name:

http://www.gnocdc.org/mapping/docs/Neighborhood.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Fury View Post
Here is a neighborhood map for you. Maybe you will see the name:

http://www.gnocdc.org/mapping/docs/Neighborhood.pdf (broken link)
Thanks...this map does help bring me a better perspective on the area though unfortunately I can't say for certain any of those neighborhoods listed is the one I had in mind Maybe the name i'm thinking about is an section or street in a neighborhood or maybe the person I was talking to just went to school in the NO but was from somewhere outside the city:think

Even when I mentioned the area to a friend of mine whom attended school down there...He said he never heard of the place but cause he wasn't from the area I didn't think much of his opinion....I could've sworn the news from New Orleans mentioned someplace that sounded like the area I had in mind though I don't quite recall what for not that long ago which refreshed my memmory though I forgot it again shortly there after Oh well..I guess this just going to be a mystery for the time being
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans