Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,956 times

Advertisements

Greetings - I am a New Orleans native who left home at 18 to attend college on scholarship in Atlanta. One thing led to another and years later I find myself still in Atlanta, now married with a great job and a house (no kids). I always said I've been homesick since the day I left, and I go home several times a year, but in the last few years the calling has become stronger. I miss home terribly - my family and friends are there, I miss the way of life, food, culture, attitude. For me it's about quality of life, and Atlanta just can't compare. I would pack up and move home in a heartbeat. The only problem is that my Northeast-born husband is extremely apprehensive. He's mainly concerned about the job market, economy and general recovery progress. As you can tell, I'm emotional and he's logical.

I'd like to hear from NOLA natives who lived elsewhere and moved home. Is it worth it? Would you do it again? How do you find the job market? Are you raising families in N.O.? Any general thoughts on this transition are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:29 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,178 times
It really depends on what what kind of jobs you guys are looking for and how much you want to spend on housing.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,956 times
Industries would be Marketing, Real Estate, Non-Profit, Technical jobs (systems management, IT). For housing it really just depends - we'd probably rent at first and be willing to pay in the $1000/mo range.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,178 times
Tech jobs are hard to come by here, but Real Estate and Marketing could work. As you know the public school system in the city is lacking to say the least, so budget around $400/month for a decent private school.

I would say it's worth it if you live in the city proper, and you have everything the city has to offer at your fingertips. If you're just going to live in Metarie [Kenner, Slidell, etc.], then stay away. There are much better "Metairies" in other parts of the country where you don't have to worry about hurricanes and flooding.

I'm kind of in the same boat, married, no kids yet. I was born and raised here and after I graduated, I wanted to go to the northeast. However, I ended up marrying a New Orleans girl and they tend to be very difficult to relocate. I was a little frustrated at first, but the city has really grown on me. There are a lot of good things happening since the storm and a lot of people are moving back into the city from all over the place.

We bought a house in Metairie after the storm, put it back together and settled in thinking we'd be happy there. As the months wen't by, we spent more and more time in the city finding new cool places we never new existed. Now, the only thing we do in Metairie, is visit my parents. We decided to sell our house and find a place in the city. We're closing on a house in Mid-City in a few weeks and can't wait to get back.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,326 times
Tech jobs are EASY to come by here. I worked in IT in Atlanta and even during good economic times...the competition was fierce. Here, I can swing an IT job in a week without even really trying.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:14 PM

194 posts, read 544,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Now, the only thing we do in Metairie, is visit my parents. We decided to sell our house and find a place in the city. We're closing on a house in Mid-City in a few weeks and can't wait to get back.

Congratulations!! That's awesome We're starting to seriously look and plan to buy later this year. If you loved your realtor, feel free to PM me the info!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM

145 posts, read 625,120 times
Rburnett & Kitty, you both just made my day! My husband & I (no kids yet) have been renting in Metairie, while we look for our permanent home. I had my heart set on buying a house in Metairie, but recently, we've been spending more & more time in the city, that we're now looking at homes there. We're still looking at Metairie, but just the Bucktown portion. Also, we're looking at Carrollton & Mid-City. I'm still apprehensive about crime, taxes, schools, etc, etc, but I'm getting the impression that there's a wave of hard-working people moving from the suburbs back to the city. That's good energy, and I want to be a part of it.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:04 PM

194 posts, read 544,946 times
dal2aus, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love being here! I live in the Riverbend/Carrollton area and it's amazing! We want to buy soon, and Mid-City is definitely in the running, as well. I'm just not a suburban person, but I care very much for my personal safety and comfort. There are lots of great areas inside the city and lots of great people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans