U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
 
65 posts, read 138,845 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Well Louisiana is not a business friendly state. Corporations pay a high tax rate compared with other states. Plus employees would much rather party then work.

I closed two businesses in the last 5 years because of this. One a restaurant open for 25 years because I had to constantly fight with employees who would not show up for work. Politicians and health inspectors who were always looking for a handout instead of helping the business. High city, parish, state and federal tax rate.

The other a construction company last year that I had for over 20 years. Same thing having to deal with employees that did not want to work plus got tired of the state government, federal government, lawyers, and insurance companies making more money then me.

So much easier to shut shop and work for a company and not have to deal with these problems.

busta
Very insightful post. That's how I always saw it. Also, as a city, New Orleans has many more off days than other US cities due to Mardi Gras, more observance of Easter days, and people generally taking off for other holidays more than in other cities. From an employee's perspective, that's awesome, but from an employer's perspective, it's not good.

Toss in the few hurricane days per year, the government always wanting their "cut," and the high tax rate, and now the picture become much clearer. Why start a business in a land locked area that is at threat of hurricanes, has the government breathing down your back for handouts, and where the people take off more vacation time than probably any city in the US when you can start a business in a sprawling city with low taxes and a less crooked bureaucracy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Da Parish
1,127 posts, read 4,611,088 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Oreck
Ruth Chris Steak House
Popeye's
Zapp's
All the Oil and Energy Companies to Houston
I don't know about Oreck, Zapps or the oil companies, but Al Copeland lost that business way back when he tried to expand and some outside corporation purchased the company so I wouldn't blame NOLA or Louisiana for that one.

As for Ruth's, well, all I know is that the old folks said she was rolling in her grave when her son took that business out of NOLA after Katrina. I understand she did quite the opposite after Betsy, they were serving free steaks out on Broad after that storm and she earned a good name doing for the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
 
152 posts, read 436,645 times
Reputation: 72
Not that any of the companies mentioned are "huge", with the exception of the oil companies, in terms of both size and financials they arebig enough to be managed by relatively wealthy individuals. Not to mention the owners should be very well off. I've recently had this sort of realization that may hae some indirect relation to this threads topic. I thought to myself one day, "if I were wealthy would I really want to live here?" That question has since evolved to, "what amenities does this city have that would attract the stereotypical wealthy individual?" Apart from seasonal festivals and mardi gras, I coulnt think of any.

Now I'm not talking 6 figure rich mind you, I mean multi million rich. Like never have to work again rich. Or possibly high ranking executive officer of an oil company rich.

I would imagine, despite wealth, an oil company who has a central office in New Orleans may still require some of those high ranking officers to reside here. Maybe I'm wrong though, and they only need to be present for the monthly meetings of the big wigs.

Now I'm also not talking vacation type amenities, like festivals, skiing, general rich peopl collecting to show off their stuff. What I mean are the day to day things I would want in y city if I were a wealthy executive officer of say Shell. I assume id have to live on Audubon place the gated part, or at least in some massive mansion on St. Charles, or maybe out farther on the north shore with a bunch of land. However id be afraid to own nd drive a nice car here as it would get thrashed. I don't see much nautical amusement from the lake as its relatively filthy water ad has no place that I know of to actually go. I've heard rumors of restaurants that are only accessable by boat but am not sure. Even with such expensive houses available there really aren't any views here besides your neighbors bathroom window. That's mostly because we are a bowl shaped terrain. There are afew "exclusive" schools for my hypothetical children, but in comparison those really are about equal to a private school in other places. The expensive restaurants are still frequented be "common folk" lol. There are no private helo pads around to access that I know of. There is a small airport but meh. I could care less about golf, and similarly I'm not surehow many courses are that exclusive( maybe english turn, but why would I want to drive my lambo through algiers?) Mind you this is all hypothetical. I seemyself frequently not being here if I was wealthy just to avoid the grunge. If that's the case why not use my executive power to influence a move to a more aesthetic location which can second as a playground fo the wealthy.

This concet is so far fetched but it makes sense to me. Its the same reason the rest of us move close to where we work, or if we own or are startin a business we locate it nar home or in some place wed like to live. Even better if that new location is very commerce friendly. Low taxes, better work ethics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,148,234 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Well Louisiana is not a business friendly state. Corporations pay a high tax rate compared with other states. Plus employees would much rather party then work.

I closed two businesses in the last 5 years because of this. One a restaurant open for 25 years because I had to constantly fight with employees who would not show up for work. Politicians and health inspectors who were always looking for a handout instead of helping the business. High city, parish, state and federal tax rate.

The other a construction company last year that I had for over 20 years. Same thing having to deal with employees that did not want to work plus got tired of the state government, federal government, lawyers, and insurance companies making more money then me.

So much easier to shut shop and work for a company and not have to deal with these problems.

busta
I get that busta but the problems associated with that type of workforce is not one that can really be compared to that of a corporate headquarters, where most employees are higher income and do not generally create similar problems.

As far as the restaurant workers...I probably wouldn't show up to get paid minimum wage if I had something better to do.

In fact, I don't think Louisiana has a problem at all providing their residents with lower wage jobs....there's a new retail outlet/restaurant popping up on every corner these days. We have a problem gaining higher wage jobs such as those that might be occupied by educated, white collar workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,234 posts, read 14,348,508 times
Reputation: 25904
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
As far as the restaurant workers...I probably wouldn't show up to get paid minimum wage if I had something better to do.
And that attitude, my friend, is a chunk of the problem in the American workforce. So it takes only high dollars to instill pride in doing something well? Because that's what has flushed down the loo over the decades ~ lack of pride and responsibility.

Lower and minimum wages in many jobs are unavoidable. That's the way it is unless you want to pay $10 for that small-size cup of Popeye's Red Beans 'n' Rice. Flipping burgers, dishwashing. . . Those are the types of jobs that used to hire high school kids and unskilled adults. In time they got replace by migrants ~ illegal and documented ~ who showed more pride in what they do and are a lot more dependable. (I don't know if this is common in New Orleans but it certainly is in many other places.)

I'm not advocating hiring illegals. Nobody has a bigger issue with lack of border control than I do. And companies that use them to pay peanuts for jobs that shouldn't be peanuts is a major chap in my ---. But if an employer finds himself dealing with people who think they don't need to check into work just because "they have something better to do" then it's understandable why he's closing up shop, or hiring migrants. Low-paying or not, it's another job provider gone away.

I don't know what unskilled workers do for jobs anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:05 PM
 
152 posts, read 436,645 times
Reputation: 72
They don't do anyting lol. Actually, they settle for the same peanuts your illegals mentioned collect in pay, except citizen have taxes taken out. The problem with minimum wage is that it really isn't enough to pay the cost of living anywhere. Some economic theories suggest erradicating it to remove the price floor it sets on labor, y problem with that is I see wagesfalling way below even a manageable level for the sake of being able to hire more people.

$10 cup of redbeans! Actually we are almost at that point today anyways. I stopped eating fast food because I can easily spend $15 at mcdonlds for lunch, and that's rediculous. I used to be able to eat for 2 das off of $5 at tacobell and now that barely buys a soda and 2 tacos.

Its hard to take pride in anything that barely pays enough to rent an apartment and feed yourself, and how much pride do you have when you have to seek assistance to buy said food. I think the line between poor and comfortable is way to vast these days. As a new grad I am being offered "entry level" positions for lss hourly than the illegals make in construction, and I would have to pay taxes on that. Pride is nowhere anymore because nothingn has any value other than money.

To support and defne that further, poverty(or the image of being poor is actually a popular trend these days. Rich gen-y kids will pay top dollar to look like a homeless crackhead because its "cool". Don't believe me? Ask those dumb highschool kids who were burned up in that fire. From wha I hear through the grapevine of acquaintences they were all middle class to upper class kids who sought coolness by acting like gutter punks. Ironically they all had designer trashy cloths, and iphones. They were squatting from what I hear not out of neccessity but because it was fun and cool. I've heard multiple friens who live in bywater complain about the rich brats who wannabe gutterpunks ad pay top dollar to look that way, but when times get really tough they can just call home with their iphones and get money wired to them.
Although that may all be rumors its what I hear around.

Back to businesses and minimum wage and keping them here. Yes the problem here is not getting minwage wor, its getting meaningful and gainful employment that can cover the inproportional cost of living here. Of course we really aren't business friendly and a bit of an isolated island too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
 
152 posts, read 436,645 times
Reputation: 72
oh I never finihed my point... nothing is valued because you can appear and do whatever you want with enough money. If you want to be a genious in this country just. Buy it, or a heroin addicted gutterpunk buy it.

I was getting at the kids paying for it because it almost makes it too expensive to be poo these days, because its cool. Check the price inflaton at salvation army, when I was younger and my family lgtimately shopped at thrift stores you could get stuff for like a quarter. Now kids sell their cloths to places like buffalo exchange on magazine and feel good because they are recyling cloths. Those same cloths are resold for a lot more.

You want a degree, just buy one. That's why new grads and their degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on. Of course the debt incurred for them says otherwse.

Pride in the workplace, or pride in your job, has no meaning if that job doesn't pay enough to buy pride lol. I can build an immaculate set of dining chairs, but they are only worth what someons willing to pay for them. Here that equates to competin with mass producers. I can't take pride in my craftmanship if its valued no higher than a sweatshop laborers.

Sorry all that probably has nothing to do with aything. I'm just in a complaining, ranting mood today, and if you read any of my other posts its a common occurance. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,148,234 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
And that attitude, my friend, is a chunk of the problem in the American workforce. So it takes only high dollars to instill pride in doing something well? Because that's what has flushed down the loo over the decades ~ lack of pride and responsibility.

Lower and minimum wages in many jobs are unavoidable. That's the way it is unless you want to pay $10 for that small-size cup of Popeye's Red Beans 'n' Rice. Flipping burgers, dishwashing. . . Those are the types of jobs that used to hire high school kids and unskilled adults. In time they got replace by migrants ~ illegal and documented ~ who showed more pride in what they do and are a lot more dependable. (I don't know if this is common in New Orleans but it certainly is in many other places.)

I'm not advocating hiring illegals. Nobody has a bigger issue with lack of border control than I do. And companies that use them to pay peanuts for jobs that shouldn't be peanuts is a major chap in my ---. But if an employer finds himself dealing with people who think they don't need to check into work just because "they have something better to do" then it's understandable why he's closing up shop, or hiring migrants. Low-paying or not, it's another job provider gone away.

I don't know what unskilled workers do for jobs anymore.
Didn't mean to set you off on that rant. But picture this...you are a college graduate who gets laid off from a decent paying job (i.e. enough to live comfortably) during a period of economic downturn. You fail to find a suitable position soon enough, and you have to take a job at a mid-priced eatery like Chilis. You wait tables, get disrespected by both customers and a loser manager who you should be bossing around giving your qualifications. You have to work long hours. You tell the schedule maker that you HAVE to be off for a certain day for something important like a doctor's appointment for you or your child. That incompetent person neglects to take you off the schedule. You struggle to find someone to take your shift because everyone else hates the job just as much as you do. You make close to minimum freakin wage for all this headache.

Working for minimum wage sucks. And companies take more profit than you might think. They pay just enough to keep applications coming in the door. Turnover is high because the working conditions suck, and you get treated like sh*t.

It's the American way--prices go up and wages stay the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,234 posts, read 14,348,508 times
Reputation: 25904
MetroBTR ~

Been there, done that. I was a waitress for about a year. But although it was hard work, I still took pride in doing my best. I like to feel efficient. Poor management was also my biggest complaint ~ more so than the customers ~ and I never waited tables again. But I knew it was minimum wage when I took the job.

I don't know how young you are, Metro, but minimum wage jobs like flipping burgers were never meant to be living wage jobs. Waiting tables has always relied on tips for supplement. In France the servers are paid considerably more per hour but tips are not allowed (AND the wages reflect in the menu prices, as dining out in France has always been spendy).

I make decent wages now but dealing with the public is no easier. I think it's more difficult because, although I'm paid enough to deal with it, I feel tethered to the job. The benefits are too good to throw away. Minimum wage jobs are not intended for the long-term, although there are a few who hang onto them because it's all they need or they don't possess enough skills to do better.

Your reasoning is more valid towards jobs like landscaping and construction that USED to pay pretty decently until they all got stingy and hired migrant labor to work for so much less.

Yes, the country is pretty bleak for college grads right now. Unfortunately, service work is what there mostly is in New Orleans. I can relate to the poster who wrote that Louisiana is not business-friendly. Neither is Oregon, although I think the reasons why differ. But for employment to flourish the people have to want to work. Larger employers like manufacturing companies typically don't tolerate poor attendance.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 01-14-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,148,234 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
MetroBTR ~

Been there, done that. I was a waitress for about a year. But although it was hard work, I still took pride in doing my best. I like to feel efficient. Poor management was also my biggest complaint ~ more so than the customers ~ and I never waited tables again. But I knew it was minimum wage when I took the job.

I don't know how young you are, Metro, but minimum wage jobs like flipping burgers were never meant to be living wage jobs. Waiting tables has always relied on tips for supplement. In France the servers are paid considerably more per hour but tips are not allowed (AND the wages reflect in the menu prices, as dining out in France has always been spendy).

I make decent wages now but dealing with the public is no easier. I think it's more difficult because, although I'm paid enough to deal with it, I feel tethered to the job. The benefits are too good to throw away. Minimum wage jobs are not intended for the long-term, although there are a few who hang onto them because it's all they need or they don't possess enough skills to do better.

Your reasoning is more valid towards jobs like landscaping and construction that USED to pay pretty decently until they all got stingy and hired migrant labor to work for so much less.

Yes, the country is pretty bleak for college grads right now. Unfortunately, service work is what there mostly is in New Orleans. I can relate to the poster who wrote that Louisiana is not business-friendly. Neither is Oregon, although I think the reasons why differ. But for employment to flourish the people have to want to work. Larger employers like manufacturing companies typically don't tolerate poor attendance.
Moderator cut: rude
People don't work minimum wage because they want to. Some people don't have an option because there ARE NOT ENOUGH LIVING WAGE JOBS TO GO AROUND. Organizations are becoming flatter and flatter. Upper management wants to get away with paying the fewest amount of people for doing the most work possible. That means fewer employees to handle more work, larger paychecks for the CEO, more productivity to profit from, and more people who cannot find good enough work to support themselves let alone their families.

Nobody wakes up one day and says they want to work at Jack in the Box or be a motel maid.

I pray for you. I pray that you don't get laid off from your job and lose your healthy paycheck and your great benefits. Then we will see what you say when you are flipping burgers again and your manager refuses to let you off for your kid's piano recitle or ball game. We will see what kind of pride/enthusiasm you have for your work then.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-15-2011 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top