U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,197 times

Advertisements

I visited NOLA back in August and I am now thinking about moving there. I have been living in Washington, DC for the past 15 years. However, I am now currently living in Venice, FL and trying to determine if I should return to DC or move to NOLA.

I am planning on going back to NOLA to look at potential rental properties and get a better feel of the city to see if I really want to move there in February.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Public transportation or walking to and from jobs, bars, sites is very important to me as I don't have a car (never needed one in DC) and don't really want the cost and headache. I have heard that NOLA doesn't have the best public transportation system and I'm not sure if that is because it is unreliable and/or doesn't run that often etc. Any insight into the public transportation system would be very helpful.

As for apartments, I would like to spend around $900-1200 for an apartment and would like something close to restaurants, bars, supermarket, bookstores etc. I was thinking either the french quarter, warehouse district, Marigny, and downtown. Is uptown to far away? Do most rents include utilities? If not what is the average cost for utilities. Utilities were included in my rent in DC so I have never had to pay any.

Some of the apartments I was thinking about were the following:
The Georgian Apartments 2233 St. Charles Ave.
D.H. Holmes Apartments-French Quarter 810 Bienville St
River Garden Apartments on St. Andrew 530 St. Andrew St
Gravier Place Apartments 837 Gravier St
The Muses Apartment Homes 1720 Baronne St.
200 Carondelet 200 Carondelet

Any information on these would be great.

How is the job situation? I have a master's degree and have a background in policy, politics, program management, and event planning and was thinking of trying to find a job with a non-profit or event planning, or as an administrative assistant/program manager. Any suggestions or insights?

How is the arts in NOLA? I know there are lots of music festivals, but how are the other arts? Lots of book events, plays, concerts, movies etc.

Any recommendations or insights you can give that would better help me make a decision would be great. When I visited in August I fell in love with the feel of the city and people and the food and music didn't hurt either. Just too bad no baseball team, but you have the Saints.

Thanks! Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 PM

34 posts, read 119,708 times
Lots of Arts stuff.

But I can't imagine a worst place to own rental property: High property taxes, high insurance, risk of owning a house in an area that rapidly declines.

Tread very carefully.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 PM

60 posts, read 91,558 times
I have an MPA from a top 10 program, two years of state budgeting experience, and I have not been able to find a job for 8 months. The job market here is atrocious, so after trying to move back to be closer to family, I am moving away again next month to a better job market. Unless you know someone who can for sure get you a job, you are absolutely crazy to move to New Orleans to find a job. I also suggest you read the local paper to see what sort of politics and city government you'll be trying to work in. It's a spoils system. You take a civil service exam for whatever job you want to apply for, then the top three scores get sent to the hiring officials. Yet, everyone in city government seems to know each other. This is true for many places, but it's corrupt and at its worst in New Orleans. Sorry to burst your bubble, just giving you the scoop on my 7-8 months of hell.

Private sector might be coming back, but the public sector is really hurting. Use your common sense - moving to a mismanaged city in a state facing budget problems does not equal jobs.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 PM

I was thinking of trying to get a job at a hotel doing event planning, or as an executive assistant or with a non-profit. I wasn't really thinking about getting a job for the government (something I never wanted to do while in DC). thanks for you import, it is helpful.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:12 PM

60 posts, read 91,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothbart View Post
I was thinking of trying to get a job at a hotel doing event planning, or as an executive assistant or with a non-profit. I wasn't really thinking about getting a job for the government (something I never wanted to do while in DC). thanks for you import, it is helpful.
Well, good luck with that! Locals with plenty of experience in event planning and nonprofit management are unemployed here.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 PM

145 posts, read 578,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothbart View Post
I Just too bad no baseball team, but you have the Saints.
Don't forget the Hornets!!!! Geaux Bees! Actually, we do have a baseball team, but it's AAA (N.O. Zephyrs).

Seriously, though, I would strongly recommend you working your network to find a job before taking the leap to move here. The job market here is tough, and local companies and organizations rely very heavily on personal connections when making hiring decisions. Check out your alumni and/or professional association and see if they have a chapter here. There are a lot of conferences and conventions that come to New Orleans. If your professional group is one of them, it's great opportunity to network within the local community. Relocating your career here is difficult, but not impossible. The city's recovery process seems to have attracted a lot of civic-minded, politically-savvy DC-transplants who are making a difference here.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I forgot about the AAA team, that used to be the Washington Nationals AAA team a few years ago before they moved to Syracuse.

The economy is starting to rebound and I'm betting that New Orleans will have a rebirth shortly. When I moved to DC 15 years ago it was right before its rebirth. DC is wonderful, but the living expenses are kinda outrageous. I'm revamping my resume and trying to work my contacts. Lets see what Feb. brings, maybe I will get lucky with apartment and job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or