Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:14 AM

661 posts, read 1,244,204 times

Advertisements

interesting. the building on third street is facing the water? canal? I understand what you mean. When I moved to Chicago, the pictures of the apartments and its surroundings looks pleasant, but when you get there it's traffic and congested and it felt like I need space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Go to google maps and use the neighborhood view if possible, to see what's on the other side of the street.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 AM

661 posts, read 1,244,204 times
is a shotgun double like a rowhome or 2 houses built as one? Do these come in 1 bedrooms? I'm not a roommate type of person and I need my own space. Just wondering. Also are rowhomes common in New Orleans as they are here in Baltimore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
The problem with rent.com and sites like that is that they mostly deal with apartment complexes as opposed to individual landlords. There are probably a few good complexes, but most of them are the standard "mega-plexes" near the highway or located in a not-so-nice area where someone bought a cheap piece of land and built one. The exceptions to this (that I've seen) are the really cool renovated "lofts" in the Warehouse District, and most of those are pretty expensive. There are some smaller apartment buildings (with, say, 6 - 10 apartments) here and there, some of which are divided houses, and they vary in price.

Some of the best and most affordable "apartments" are the shotgun doubles, and there are lots of those in pretty much every part of town, but you won't find them on most of the "find-an-apartment" websites. Some of them are only advertised by a sign in the yard. If you can possibly come visit and check out the different areas of town yourself, I would highly recommend it. If not, the "street view" on Google Maps is very helpful, although a lot of places have improved since those pictures were taken.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,708,579 times
Rowhomes are extremely uncommon. A double is a house split into 2 sections down the middle. Each has the rooms lined up behind each other. A duplex is a 2-story house with the top floor being one unit and the bottom floor being another. That's the "old" N.O. definition. Some have 1 bedroom, I think more have 2 bedrooms. And yes, there are huge swaths of the city that flooded in 2005 and have not been re-built. The Desire location is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans