Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 AM

661 posts, read 1,241,826 times

Advertisements

what neighborhood are these and how is the area like:

Riverview Apartments - 1039 Third Street

Savoy Phase 2 - 3450 Desire Parkway

The Savoy Phase 2, I like the look of it. On rent.com it says it's apartments but it looks like a house? Are these common in New Orleans? The style apartments tend to look like a house? I heard of words "shotgun" house? I see that on rent.com a 1 bedroom/1.5. bath is for rent. Look at picture #2 if you can. It looks like a tiny house. It does not show the price but says income restricted. However for a 2 bedroom/1.5 bath is renting for $690 (income restricted). I'm guessing the 1 bedroom version would have to be at least $100 less? It looks nice.

Savoy Phase II in New Orleans, LA

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,627,090 times
SHotguns are one room wide, you can shoot a shotgun from the front door out the back door. There are doubles that are shotguns on each side.

I don't think the Desire location is good but my info is pre-Katrina. Back then, it was a ghetto. Income restricted means it's designed for lower-income people. May be lots of Sec. 8 renters there. Some are bad, many are good neighbors.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 AM

have you seen the pics though? Looks like new. How's the one on third street? They advertised it as luxury apartments. is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
SHotguns are one room wide, you can shoot a shotgun from the front door out the back door. There are doubles that are shotguns on each side.

I don't think the Desire location is good but my info is pre-Katrina. Back then, it was a ghetto. Income restricted means it's designed for lower-income people. May be lots of Sec. 8 renters there. Some are bad, many are good neighbors.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM

310 posts, read 851,914 times
They ARE new and they might be advertised as luxury, but that doesn't mean the area is good at all! There are so many "luxury" developments going into nasty areas around here that it isn't even funny. I guess you need to see it to believe it. They're marketing to corporations and out of towners who don't know any better. Don't fall for it. I just passed an awesome looking one in the middle of a terrible area heading to the Fair Grounds today. Beautiful, but I wouldn't feel good walking outside at all.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:36 PM

194 posts, read 543,556 times
The problem with rent.com and sites like that is that they mostly deal with apartment complexes as opposed to individual landlords. There are probably a few good complexes, but most of them are the standard "mega-plexes" near the highway or located in a not-so-nice area where someone bought a cheap piece of land and built one. The exceptions to this (that I've seen) are the really cool renovated "lofts" in the Warehouse District, and most of those are pretty expensive. There are some smaller apartment buildings (with, say, 6 - 10 apartments) here and there, some of which are divided houses, and they vary in price.

Some of the best and most affordable "apartments" are the shotgun doubles, and there are lots of those in pretty much every part of town, but you won't find them on most of the "find-an-apartment" websites. Some of them are only advertised by a sign in the yard. If you can possibly come visit and check out the different areas of town yourself, I would highly recommend it. If not, the "street view" on Google Maps is very helpful, although a lot of places have improved since those pictures were taken.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM

Go to google maps and use the neighborhood view if possible, to see what's on the other side of the street.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:06 PM

310 posts, read 851,914 times
When someone from around here says it's bad, it probably is. Don't just take it with a grain of salt and don't move here without seeing it first. I'm sorry, but if you can't come see it before moving into it, I don't suggest moving here. This ain't Cleveland. Checkerboard neighborhoods abound here and one block might be nice while another is really bad. I can't reiterate enough that you need to come see it. I hate to see people come back on here to tell us how awful their neighborhood is and it's usually all because they didn't do real homework - i.e. come down here first. I don't mean 5 years ago as a tourist! I guarantee the tourist experience doesn't show ANYONE enough about living here, especially the housing situations. If you have to live in a cheaper apartment in the suburbs while you do research on another area, do it.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM

Street view doesn't seem to be available, but the map shows lots of empty lots around there. Lots of houses/bldgs flooded. Across the street is a warehouse. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,446,090 times
Third Street maybe hit or miss depending what block of Third you're on. I would never even consider moving to the Desire. The area you are referring to is one of the lesser known projects intended to turn former housing projects into mixed income homes, this time transforming the Florida and Desire projects. I've been that way a few times and the construction looks nice, but a lot of changes would need to come to that overall area before I would even consider moving down there. On the other hand, tenants moving into area are supposed to be heavily screened so not just anyone is supposed to be getting in. Either way, it's too sketchy for me.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 AM

to this day, flood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Street view doesn't seem to be available, but the map shows lots of empty lots around there. Lots of houses/bldgs flooded. Across the street is a warehouse. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans