U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM

41 posts, read 107,931 times

Advertisements

Hello.
We have lived out in the country, south of Houston, for 13 years. We've always lived in Texas.
Recently, my husband's boss told us that we may have to move to New Orleans for a few years. I've done some internet searches, but haven't had any luck.
So my question is, is there such a thing as a small acreage lot, kinda out in the country, but not too far from New Orleans?

p.s.
we have a special-needs puppy that needs the space and lack of traffic.
we also have a teenage son, so we need a good high school.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,906,987 times
You would have to go upriver to LaPlace or other towns around there. Not sure about schools. Or else across thelake to Covington, Abita Springs, etc. altho' that is more expensive. Good schools for the most part.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,332,480 times
What about Belle Chasse or somewhere in St. Bernard?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,611,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What about Belle Chasse or somewhere in St. Bernard?
Well, perhaps Lower St. Bernard (aka Down da Road), below Poydras, anything above will be subdivision living, although there is the lot next door thing which will make some properties larger. I have no problem promoting Da Parish, but I don't want the OP to think that the whole thing is "rural," As far as the high school goes, well Chalmette High is going to be something else when they are done with it. Then again you should expect great things from a $50 million dollar facility (pre-K there were 3 high schools and instead of rebuilding all three they sunk all the money into making one mega, fancy campus.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM

OH! Forgot to mention, we've never actually been to Louisiana. We've driven through a couple of times, but only stopped for gas. So I don't know where anything is! Think I need a map!

Thanks for the help! I've got more searching to do!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM

And what about Kenner or Slidell?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,973,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Z Girl View Post
Hello.
So my question is, is there such a thing as a small acreage lot, kinda out in the country, but not too far from New Orleans?
What is too far? 10mi? 15mi? 30mi? A lot of areas on the northshore of Lake Ponchatrain along I-12 (Hammond, Covington, Abita Springs, Pearl River) and the parishes along the river between Baton Rouge and New Orleans (Luling, Hahnville, LaPlace) would would be what you're looking for.

There are also areas further downriver(English Turn, Belle Chasse, Jesuit Bend), but they aren't really sprawling country like you're thinking of. It's more a sliver of land 1mile wide at the most running parallel to the river along a major highway.

Kenner and Slidell are more suburban than rural. Think 50x100 lots and ranch houses.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Thank you rburnett!!! 30 miles is not a problem! Hubby will be working (if they get the job) in mid-city, where ever that is! lol

Where we live now, hubby drives 55 miles to get to Houston. The boy drives 25 miles to get to school! Church is 18 miles away. So we're used to driving!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,973,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Z Girl View Post
Where we live now, hubby drives 55 miles to get to Houston. The boy drives 25 miles to get to school! Church is 18 miles away. So we're used to driving!
55 miles, one way?! Wow...That is a lot of driving. I live in Mid-City, actually. It's a large neighborhood in New Orleans proper. I'm probably a little spoiled, though. I can walk to just about everything but my office, which is a 6 mile drive.

The areas downriver would be 20 miles max

The areas upriver towards Baton Rouge would be around 30 miles max.

The places I mentioned on the northshore are 30-40 miles from Mid-City, (Hammond would be over 50 miles).

Old 02-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks again. I'm thinking Covington. Can anyone give more info on Covington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or