U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,564 times

Advertisements

I need some help... I'm living in New Orleans right now, but planning on moving out of state in about 5 years. We don't know if we should rent or buy during our time here. We're married, no kids, 3 dogs (so that would make it hard to rent elsewhere). Housing prices are crazy here... (750sqft house going for $150,000, or rent for $825) I just feel by renting we're basically throwing our money away. I don't know... Suggestions?q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,906,987 times
According to all the RE agents I've ever heard on the subject, 5 yrs is the minimum break-even point of appreciation vs. fees to sell in a "normal" economy. Are we in one? Who knows? City-Data has a Real Estate forum, you can pose your question there.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 AM

41 posts, read 107,931 times
We are having a similar issue. We currently live in TX, but may be moving to New Orleans for three years, then back to TX. So we're wondering if we should buy or rent in New Orleans. And you're right about the prices! It's shocking how expensive houses are in New Orleans.

I guess this didn't help. Sorry. We're considering buying for "investment" purposes. But who's to say it will sell for more than we paid for it? It's just all so confusing!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,973,518 times
Renting is not throwing away money. Do the math and some research. There are various rent/buy calculators out there to show you how you would fare in each situation. How much intrest could you make on that down payment money elsewhere? Your house will, on a long term average, will simply keep up with inflation. That 5 year "break even" period is very deceiving. Over those 5 years, how much have you spent on maintinence and renovations? What about the intrest which is something like 75% of your note? That money is what's being thrown away. Buying makes more sense over a 15+ year period.

Also keep in mind that housing values have fallen ~5-10% in most areas in and around new orleans over the past 3 years. As a pure financial decision, in this area, I would definately say rent for 5 years. Take that downpayment, buy some Apple and rent.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Renting is not throwing away money. Do the math and some research. There are various rent/buy calculators out there to show you how you would fare in each situation. How much intrest could you make on that down payment money elsewhere? Your house will, on a long term average, will simply keep up with inflation. That 5 year "break even" period is very deceiving. Over those 5 years, how much have you spent on maintinence and renovations? What about the intrest which is something like 75% of your note? That money is what's being thrown away. Buying makes more sense over a 15+ year period.

Also keep in mind that housing values have fallen ~5-10% in most areas in and around new orleans over the past 3 years. As a pure financial decision, in this area, I would definately say rent for 5 years. Take that downpayment, buy some Apple and rent.
I guess I never really thought about renovations and everything involved with that. Renting does sound better, and cheaper in the long run. Thanks for all your replies!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 PM

4,709 posts, read 6,337,469 times
The headaches of buying and then selling a house and closing costs and upkeep and taxes and.....Rent.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM

410 posts, read 725,350 times
Like you, I've always viewed renting as a waste of money. I was able to buy houses and turn around sell them fairly quickly if my job situation changed.

But when I moved to Columbia, SC two years ago, I bought a 850 sq ft house in an up-and-coming neighborhood. It's been a disaster. Beyond being victims of the criminal activity in the area, my husband was never able to find work so he moved back to our home town. I started looking for work elsewhere. We put the house up for sale, and were barely going to break even (if we were lucky). We didn't get one showing because most locals are afraid of the neighborhood and/or the house is so small.

We eventually rented it out to save money and I moved in with a co-worker. Still looking for a job. If our tenants decide not to renew, we're going to try to put it back up for sale again and see what happens. Part of me wants to pursue another tenant and see if things will continue to improve with the housing market; the other part of me just wants to get rid of thing.

It's been a hard lesson learned. So make sure you think long and hard about your decision...even if you do plan to buy in a good area. Needless to say, if we move to NOLA, we'll be renting for the duration.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM

41 posts, read 107,931 times
THANK YOU ALL!!!! You have just eased my mind about what we should do. RENT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or