U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM

410 posts, read 725,277 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job opportunity available to me that would require me and my husband to move to New Orleans. I've been heavily searching the rental scene in New Orleans proper and have seen a lot of nice options. But when I go to Google street view, there seems to be a lot of "hit or miss" housing on the same street. Where I come from, that usually means that the area is transitioning, and that crime may be higher. I know that NOLA already has crime issues, but does run down housing equal higher crime? Or is it just the way it is?

For example, I was just looking at a place near the corner of Oak and Dublin Streets in Carrollton; some of the houses were nice, some were not. I've also looked at places that were within a block or two of Magazine Street or St. Charles, and have gotten the same situation. It's confusing when I'm trying to locate a safe place to live.

I think my biggest concern is moving down there and having our apartment broken into. We've had two incidents at our home where we live now, and it's not something I want to repeat if I can avoid it. They can have at our car, but hands off on our house.

And I just barking up the wrong tree by considering a move to NOLA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,973,018 times
New Orleans is not the slum that people who do not live here make it out to be. It does have it's share of crime, but there also some very nice areas,

A run down block does not always equal higher crime. You could be on Carondelet in Central City and be surrounded by beautiful double gallery houses and nice cars, but the crime is pretty high. You could also be in Broadmoor walking past dilapidated craftsman shotguns and Oldsmobiles, but it's one of the safest areas in the city.

I noticed you're looking in the Uptown area, which has been notorious for being inconsistent in terms of crime and safety. However, don't run off to the suburbs yet, there is a huge swath of that part of town that is very safe. Here's a picture: //www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ods-uptown.jpg

This area is the safest area Uptown. You can stretch the boundaries a little bit(esp. between St. Charles and the River) and still be in good shape. There will be a few places in that here that will look run down, but it is a very safe area. Also, a lot of the Google street views were taken right after Katrina, so everything might look more run down that it really is.

PS. Other safe areas in the city core is in Mid-City close to City Park Ave, and the Warehouse Dist. A little bit further out are Navarre, Gentilly and Lakeview.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
I noticed you're looking in the Uptown area, which has been notorious for being inconsistent in terms of crime and safety. However, don't run off to the suburbs yet, there is a huge swath of that part of town that is very safe.
The suburbs make me break out in hives. So not an option.

Thanks for the reassurance and the map. I had seen it in a previous post and bookmarked it. We're living in Columbia, SC right now, and bought a house in an up-and-coming area that's turned into a major nightmare. So I'm a bit gun shy in terms to what a neighborhood looks like a whole.

If I get the job, I'll definitely be posting some addresses of places that we're looking at to get feedback. One of my good friends lived in NOLA for several years pre-Katrina so she's been able to give me some tips regarding safety, etc. I have surmised that the area is not Disneyland, but it's not the Baghdad that some folks want to portray it as.

I'd really like to be centered in between St. Charles and Magazine so that I can reach the streetcar for transportation (I hate to drive), and so that we can walk to shops and restaurants. I think I read on here that the area between those two streets and Jackson and Louisiana was a pretty safe bet. Is that still true?

What about north of St. Charles? Particularly around Napoleon? It looked gorgeous but apparently that can be deceiving...

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by oldhousejunkie; 02-22-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,959 times
The closer you are to Audubon Park, the safer it is. I wouldn't say the "sweet spot" in terms of safety would be between Jackson and Louisiana, you should re-draw those lines from possibly Jackson all the way west to Audubon Park. Napoleon is fine, and from Napoleon to the Park is really golden. In the north-south direction, yes, St. Charles as the Northern boundary and Magazine as the southern are very safe bets. The other side of St. Charles gets gritty fast, especially the closer to downtown you get. After Louisiana Avenue, just a few blocks north of St. Charles is pretty tough.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
The closer you are to Audubon Park, the safer it is. I wouldn't say the "sweet spot" in terms of safety would be between Jackson and Louisiana, you should re-draw those lines from possibly Jackson all the way west to Audubon Park. Napoleon is fine, and from Napoleon to the Park is really golden. In the north-south direction, yes, St. Charles as the Northern boundary and Magazine as the southern are very safe bets. The other side of St. Charles gets gritty fast, especially the closer to downtown you get. After Louisiana Avenue, just a few blocks north of St. Charles is pretty tough.

Thanks! This is just the information I need.

What about areas in the French Quarter or the Lower Garden District? We would have a budget of $1200 max for rent and need either a one bedroom + study or a 2 bedroom apartment, so French Quarter might be out. But I kind of have this lovely vision of having a balcony or gallery to sit out on when it's not a bajillion degrees outside, so that's why I was thinking of those two areas. I've seen a lot of interesting stuff around Coliseum Square and Annuciation Square/Street. Are those out?

Last edited by oldhousejunkie; 02-22-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,973,018 times
The area between St. Charles and Magazine from Louisiana down to Jackson is the official Garden District. It is somewhat safe because they have beefed up private security, but its also right in the middle of two 2 "bad" areas: Central City and the Irish Channel.

Strictly in terms of crime, the area between St. Charles and Feret from Jefferson down to Napolean is decent. The area between St. Charles and Feret from Napolean down to Louisiana is a little more hit and miss, as you are getting close to Central City.

Consider the Lower Garden District if you're working downtown (from Felicity down to the expressway). It's a pretty safe area and very convenient to downtown.

Check out the crime maps. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't http://cno-gisweb02.cityofno.com/crimemaps/

Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
that balcony won't look so inviting in the usual 80-90% humidity.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 PM

Yes, that's why I said "when it isn't a bajillion degrees outside."

Of course, the humidity in South Carolina isn't a walk in the park either. 95 degrees, 80% humidity is the norm for the summer here.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 AM

194 posts, read 490,724 times
I was deeply in love with the city and determined to move here for two years, and I honestly thought there were a lot more "bad areas" than there actually are. Once we got here and started learning our way around we kept finding all these awesome areas. To me, now, it's just like any other city in the "there are some areas you just don't go into" department.

Also, a lot of renovations and improvements have been done since many of the pics were taken for Google street view...

Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM

529 posts, read 984,837 times
Also consider the Warehouse district. There are a lot of awesome apartments/condos there. And it is between the French Quarter and uptown, and next to/is downtown. Oh and you could definitely ride the streetcar. I use to live on Julia Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or