Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 25,323 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NOLA this summer and are torn between De La Salle and Cabrini for our teenage girls - any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
De La Salle has boys, and is located Uptown. Cabrini is all girls in the fauboug st. john area. Whatever is closer, I say.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
or rather, is DeLaSalle now admitting girls? If not, yours can't go there.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:45 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
or rather, is DeLaSalle now admitting girls? If not, yours can't go there.
De la Salle has been coed for the at least the last 10 years.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 PM

De La Salle is Co-ed now, they have been accepted at both, we have visited and like both for different reasons, just wondered what others thought of the schools and the surrounding areas, as we would prefer to live near to where they go to school.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Both are pretty good. They both exude more caring environments than some of the other Catholic high schools, from what I understand. I went to De La Salle, I really enjoyed my experiences there. I had some fabulous teachers and certainly I liked the co-ed system. I fail to understand why these other schools are stuck on the same-sex education thing, but when I previously went to an all-boys high school (which shall remain nameless) I couldn't stand it.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Both are pretty good. They both exude more caring environments than some of the other Catholic high schools, from what I understand. I went to De La Salle, I really enjoyed my experiences there. I had some fabulous teachers and certainly I liked the co-ed system. I fail to understand why these other schools are stuck on the same-sex education thing, but when I previously went to an all-boys high school (which shall remain nameless) I couldn't stand it.
Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, how long ago were you there? and what things made it enjoyable for you? We have pretty much decided on De La Salle, co-ed doesn't bother me as our girls are in public schools at the moment in IL, and we love the 4x4 schedule as that is what they are currently on. The caring environment is very important so it was good to hear about that! It is so hard to get a real feel for a place in one visit.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:52 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
I graduated from DLS 7 years ago. It was 4X4 back then also, and that system had pros and cons, but it proved very beneficial. Firstly, the schedule was very manageable. Considering we had to take religion and physical ed, there was a good chance that only 3 classes a semester would even be truly challenging, which helped immensely in balancing extracurriculars and work and whatever else was going on. Another great advantage is that students can "double up". If they really like English and want to take English 5 as a senior, they could take English 3 fall semester and then English 4 in the spring of junior year in order to get ahead of the game. The disadvantage of the 4X4 is that students go a whole semester without seeing the subject, which can hurt for things like when I took the ACT in June and I hadn't taken math since December. With all that said, I still think that the 4X4 is a great idea.

I loved the school, period. Transferring in from an all boys school made me hate not coming in as a freshman. I graduated with 177 people, which ensured that I knew everyone's name and face but that the class was large enough to make lots of friends and keep my distance from others if I needed to. I found that the teachers there really cared; I can't say I had a "bad" teacher when I was there. I was in honors and I found it very challenging, but not overwhelming. I was very well prepared for college, and I am currently pursuing a Master's Degree, so the education worked for me! Good luck to you and I hope your girls find the right fit at DLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans