U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 AM

43 posts, read 113,106 times

Advertisements

There is a chance that we'll be cruising out of NO in April. After seeing high rates for hotels I took a look and saw that the festival is that weekend. We had planned on coming in a few days prior to the cruise to visit the city. I'm sure we would hang out at the festival for a bit but would there be so many people in town that we wouldn't be able to see and do other things?

We're also looking for hotels with reasonable rates, at this points it looks like our best bet would be the the Metairie area? We're driving down and will park at the cruise port while at sea, however, will be be able to drive in to the area during the festival and find parking? I assume we could take a trolley or something to get around once parked?

Is this a totally bad idea? Tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 PM

4,823 posts, read 6,315,315 times
Usually, there is parking in the warehouse district with shuttle transportation. To park in the quarter you will have to arrive very, very early in the day.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Thanks, that's kind of what I assumed. We're thinking about trying to get around the main sites of NO one day and then heading to maybe Avery Island the other day but we're open to other options. My wife doesn't do well in large crowds so our time at the festival will sadly be limited.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM

If she doesn't like large crowds, you might consider taking in the stages away from the river and around the Mint. To me these seem to be the most crowded. There are smaller stages along Royal and Boubon that while still large groups of people do not have the crowds the river and mint stages have.

There is a web site for French Quarter Festival that might provide you good information.

We were living in NOLA in the 80's when Quarter Fest started as a festival to bring locals into the Quarter. Even though we no longer live in New Orleans we return every year for this particular party. Each year it seems to get bigger and bigger.

Have fun.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
If she doesn't like large crowds, you might consider taking in the stages away from the river and around the Mint. To me these seem to be the most crowded. There are smaller stages along Royal and Boubon that while still large groups of people do not have the crowds the river and mint stages have.

There is a web site for French Quarter Festival that might provide you good information.

We were living in NOLA in the 80's when Quarter Fest started as a festival to bring locals into the Quarter. Even though we no longer live in New Orleans we return every year for this particular party. Each year it seems to get bigger and bigger.

Have fun.
Thanks for the excellent info. Will we be able to get around areas like The Garden District. She wants to check out a cemetery or two while we're there as well.

The way gas prices keep going up I'm reconsidering the drive out to Avery Island. I'm interested in photographing some wildlife and it looks like [SIZE=2]Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve would fit the bill nicely. Maybe do that on day two and see what other sorts of trouble we can get into [/SIZE]

Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 PM

67 posts, read 155,429 times
The Metairie Cemetery just off the interstate is very interesting. You can pick up a tour pamphlet at the office. It's pretty easy to follow and not really necessary in order to enjoy the beauty of the place. It is about ten minutes from downtown.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Fury View Post
The Metairie Cemetery just off the interstate is very interesting. You can pick up a tour pamphlet at the office. It's pretty easy to follow and not really necessary in order to enjoy the beauty of the place. It is about ten minutes from downtown.
Thanks, I'll check into that for sure.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM

The Garden District is easily accessable by taking the St. Charles Trolley. You can walk around the Garden District, for the most part it is safe. I would consider taking a tour of the cemeteries instead of treking out through them alone. The cemeteries are not always safe, even in the day time.

If you are going to walk anywhere in the city use good common sense rules.
* stick to well lighted areas.
* if there are not people walking around, you should not be walking around either.
* respect peoples privacy. While most locals are friendly, they really don't like folks peeking in their
windows or through their fences.
* also, if somone (usually a teenager) says something like "betcha five dollars, I can tell you where you
got yo shoes" do not accept. The answer is "one yo feet" and they expect you to pay and will follow
you to get their money.

Have fun. This city is a blast of energy and entertainment.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
The Garden District is easily accessable by taking the St. Charles Trolley. You can walk around the Garden District, for the most part it is safe. I would consider taking a tour of the cemeteries instead of treking out through them alone. The cemeteries are not always safe, even in the day time.

If you are going to walk anywhere in the city use good common sense rules.
* stick to well lighted areas.
* if there are not people walking around, you should not be walking around either.
* respect peoples privacy. While most locals are friendly, they really don't like folks peeking in their
windows or through their fences.
* also, if somone (usually a teenager) says something like "betcha five dollars, I can tell you where you
got yo shoes" do not accept. The answer is "one yo feet" and they expect you to pay and will follow
you to get their money.

Have fun. This city is a blast of energy and entertainment.

Oh... so act as if I were at home I work downtown Indianapolis which may not have the same problems as NO but it has plenty of it's own. I encounter plenty of... well, everything on a daily basis as we have no on sight parking and I walk several blocks to get back and forth to the office.

We're looking at another option as well. I found a hotel near the nature preserve I'm interested in, the Best Western Bayou Inn. Thinking about staying there and taking the ferry across the river to avoid driving over and messing with parking etc... plus it's more affordable.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 AM

Looks like Algiers Ferry to Canal street is a good option but I found the Gretna ferry to Canal street to be a little closer to our hotel, however, the ferry ride is more than double if not triple which would more than make up the time difference from hotel to ferry.

I guess the biggest deciding factor, in this case is: how much should I expect to pay for parking at either spot on Friday / Saturday or Sunday during the festival. I can only assume that they'll hike it from the daily $5 rate I found advertised.

Actually, I don't know if we'll even try to go on Friday. We won't get in until late afternoon and after being on the road for 9+ hours ( depending how far we get the night before) we'll probably just want to grab some supper and get to bed so we can get an early start Saturday morning.

As of now it looks like:

Friday: arrive / eat / sleep
Saturday: Take an early ferry from Gretna / Algiers to canal street and spend the day in town
Sunday: I'm getting up early~ish and heading to the Barataria preserve for a walk and hopefully spot some wildlife. My wife is scared to death of reptiles of all sizes so she'll likely sleep in. Still not sure what to do with the rest of the day. I don't know that we'll want to go back into New Orleans, well, we'll want to but I'm anxious to see how she does with the crowds. Maybe find something an hour or two away to explore and then head back. Thoughts here?
Monday: drive to the cruise port and sail away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans