U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:38 PM

152 posts, read 436,725 times

Advertisements

Great debating technique. If this were an oral debate that rebuttal would be the equivalent to sticking your fingers in our ears and yelling at the top of your lungs, "La la la, I cant hear you and don't care to!" Followed by condescending remarks that moralize your opponents actions by stating, "anyone who thinks otherwise of the place they're living needs to help fix it or find somewhere they like better," while exhibiting your magnanimous actions of being, "too busy enjoying this awesome city while occasionally volunteering to help with things that do need improvement." You would make an excellent politician.

Frankly I feel offended that you would even bother to post a reply concerning your intention of never reading my post, and your attempt to invalidate my opinion despite my production of data sources and willingness to collect data as per your request in your original post.

All that being said, my entire post was not a specific shot at you or your post despite my quotation. Your comment on New Orleans recovery status was merely an intro to a longer post that concerned my opinion on the job market here.

Volunteering is great but does not exactly address the specific issues of the OP and the article that states that New Orleans is #1 in a list of worst cities to find a job. Likewise volunteering does little to create substantial employment opportunities in a quantity that could turn this city around economically. What is the old adage? Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Unless people are volunteering to market this city to fortune 500 companies in order to bring meaningful and permanent employment solutions back to this area, and simultaneously training and equipping all those looking for work to fill those new positions, then I don't see the significance of community service effects on employment or lack of employment. Mind you all, I am not talking about employment in areas where earnings are less than what I mentioned in my earlier post. So that would exclude really any occupation paying less than $45,000-50,000 annually.

I would love to leave and find a place I like more but as posts I have made in other threads put it, I just cant afford to leave given the high expenses and junk salaries here.

Oh, and sorry for the profanity in the original post that had to be censured. I have a sailors mouth, yet another thing that comes with growing up here lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 PM

145 posts, read 578,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreoleblackprince View Post
how the hell do you get the experience if no one will take a chance on hiring you I got my degree in 2009 and was laid off 2 weeks after i got it and haven't worked sense this was sort of why I chose to go back to work on my MBA and I'll be done in Dec of yr2011
This is a little off-topic, but before you finish your degree, be sure to get at least 1 internship under your belt. Internships make the difference for new grads to find a job.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM

152 posts, read 436,725 times
I imagine they really do make a huge difference, but for some of us its not an option.

I for one don't believe in working for free, its too close to slavery. Likewise finding an internship that has some semblance of your degree and hopeful career choice that also coincides with a full time work schedule is difficult if not impossible when you still must make time for class and studying.

I found this out myself. With no one cooking, cleaning, etc. for me, or paying my bills, my days ended up waking at 7, work at 8, work all day till 5, race to class for 545, sit there for a few hours, go home and cook, eat, shower, then laundry and cleaning, or studying if need be, then off to sleep around 1am for a few hours to get up and do it all over again. There was hardly ever time for me to find an internship that would allow me to serve them between the hours of 1am and 7am. Oh thats right I was sleeping then.

I'm pretty sure my school wouldn't except credit for a paid internship, and on a similar note I doubt any internship would have paid. If they did I'm sure it would have been insufficient to cover my rent, utilities, car payment, insurance, gas, food, cell bill, cable and internet, credit card payments, savings, and recreation(as much as I could afford time wise). I hardly feel any experience I would have gotten would have been rewarded at this point, in a financial manner, sufficient to clear my defaulted credit card debt and resurrect me from death from starvation. Or even compensate for the time spent homeless camped out in the truck that the bank would have been attempting to repossess.

Its all one big catch 22.

I need money to live, so I work. I need a better job to live more comfortably, so I go to school. I need experience to get that job out of school, so I take an internship. The internship schedule and my full time jobs schedule don't coincide, so I quit work. I don't earn money, so I am evicted and my possessions are repossessed. My credit is ruined, so no organization will lend for tuition. My schedule is purged because I don't pay tuition. Now I'm in the exact opposite place school was supposed to put me.

Or I don't take the internship and keep my job. I graduate to find that no one will hire me. I'm back where I started, but now with way more debt than I went in with.

Best case scenario... I take an internship my very last semester and quit my job. I live off of student loans and pizza delivery wages part time for 3-4 months. I graduate and that internship turns into a full time position immediately, paying a salary way more than the 50k I was writing about in earlier posts. My career takes off and I live comfortably. < does this really happen to anyone anymore after college? The stories I keep hearing make that scenario sound like a fairy tale.

Back on topic... What about finding jobs here?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 PM

310 posts, read 768,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
Sorry, I don't have time to read all that. I'm too busy enjoying this awesome city while occasionally volunteering to help with things that do need improvement. The good far, far outweighs the bad here, and anyone who thinks otherwise of the place they're living needs to help fix it or find somewhere they like better.
While it takes some time to read Nico's posts, there is a main idea in there: difficulty in finding an entry level job. Many people don't have TIME to enjoy the city or volunteer because they're struggling to make ends meet. I have a friend who works FOUR jobs too keep her kids in private school. Yes, it's a great city, but you have to understand that moving away also takes $$$ and just because someone is here venting on a message board, doesn't really mean they hate New Orleans. The "good outweighing the bad" is very much in the eye of the beholder here. Your solution for someone to just get out of here because they have negative things to say doesn't jive with most people living here. New Orleans is like a small town for most: you're born here, grow up here, raise your families here, and die here. Most people don't care to know anywhere else even if they complain on occasion.

I do have time to get out, enjoy things and volunteer very often, but your statement offends me, nonetheless. Please look around and recognize reality. You don't have to focus on the bad, but please be mindful that New Orleans has always had these kind of job problems. This isn't something that most of us can touch with a 1000 foot pole. Volunteering somewhere may better areas of the city, but it isn't going to make the job market rosier.

I don't agree with the broad picture of the report myself, but it's spot on if they're talking about people fresh out of college, high school, or with no experience. The ways to land jobs around here are having experience, transferring in with another company, or knowing somebody well enough that they'll help you out. Networking is key around here - I've personally never experienced anything like it.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM

145 posts, read 578,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
Networking is key around here - I've personally never experienced anything like it.
Networking is key everywhere. According to the US Dept of Labor, 70% of all jobs are filled by referrals. I'm not originally from Louisiana, and know this to be true for how most of my career moves have been made, including my 1st job out of school. Most of the available jobs in America are never posted publicly, which is why this "poll" is so flawed.

It's not enough to have education, you have to be able to build connections. Even after you get the job, building relationships internally and knowing how to pool company resources make the difference between getting promoted and becoming stagnant. This is why internships are so important, they not only help you get experience, but give you an inside track to establishing important connections. Also, unpaid internships are pretty rare these days. The laws are very strict now, so most companies have no choice but to pay.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 PM

310 posts, read 768,835 times
Yes, I am very aware that it's how it works everywhere. New Orleans is over the top with nepotism, though. It is much stronger here than anywhere I've ever been. I'm having no trouble because I've learned how the "game" has to be played here, but it took a long time to learn and I feel very bad for people moving here who expect to get a job with great qualifications only to find out that the boss's 5th cousin got the job after barely passing high school. I would never, ever recommend someone come here without securing a position first. That article may be way off, but we're certainly no haven for the jobless.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM

194 posts, read 490,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook77 View Post
I do have time to get out, enjoy things and volunteer very often, but your statement offends me, nonetheless.
My whole point was that a lot of actual good can be done in the time it takes to type out very long, largely negative diatribes, especially for someone like Nico, who is clearly (judging from his/her excellent grammar and spelling) an intelligent and motivated person.

It seems our society as a whole is spending more and more time and energy on complaining instead of fixing.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM

194 posts, read 490,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
The good far, far outweighs the bad here, and anyone who thinks otherwise of the place they're living needs to help fix it or find somewhere they like better.
And, yes, I totally stand by this and it wasn't meant to be snarky. There are places I would HATE to live, and if I found myself in one of them, due to "circumstances" or whatever, I'd do my best to find a place that made me happier, even if it took a little while. Life's too short and - news flash - if you're genuinely unhappy, it's pretty likely that your unhappiness is affecting your family as well.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 AM

98 posts, read 258,075 times
An over looked part of the jobs rating is that if it is flawed here, then it is flawed in the other 9 cities. Which is probably not quite true or the flaws even out overall.

Skipping the offense taken when some one labels you in anyway, New Orleans does seem to be a place where jobs are not readily available, yes the problem is country wide, but reading other posts on this forum, they suggest that service industry and it tech jobs are here, but other fields are lacking in need. Also in other posts, it has been mentioned that it is who you know and not what you know that is important in getting a job in NO.

New Orleans was picked number one for a reason that should not be overlooked if you are a job seeker.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 AM

410 posts, read 725,429 times
My hubby and I are actually looking to move to New Orleans since I'm in the running for a job down there. It pays so well that we can't afford to pass it up. So something must be going on down there. But in general, I think the job situation is just dismal all the way around. It's frustrating to everyone, and I imagine that it is even more so to the entry level folks. I'm naturally suspicious of these blanket articles that say "the jobs are here!" Especially when their top cities have some of the highest costs of living in the nation. There may be jobs in San Fran, but can you actually afford to live there?

I've got the BA and 5 years experience under my belt, and yet I've been looking for a new job for over a year. Twenty five job applications/resume submittals and 6 interviews, but nothing. I could easily just throw in the towel and complain, but I can't. I just keep plugging away at the job postings and keep submitting resumes. And then I complain. Especially when I find out that its because I need a MA now. Although interestingly enough, I beat out severals MAs and a PhD for my current position because I had experience and they didn't. Sometimes real world experience does pay off in the end.

Nico--I don't know what kind of college you went to, but I've never heard of one that prohibits paying internships. When I was in college, I had to work too, but I was lucky enough to score a summer internship that paid what my normal job did, which granted, wasn't a lot. I dropped my normal job and took the internship and learned a lot of valuable experience. I ended up taking another paying job in my field after the internship was done and I kept it for the remainder of my time in school. Sure I could have been a waitress and made a whole lot more money, but I chose to think about what I wanted to accomplish in the future. Even volunteering can be a extremely important tool for building experience and networking. It can be hard to juggle jobs and other responsibilities, but sometimes you have to run on empty to get the edge over other candidates. If I were you, I would take a hard look at the viability of your degree. What makes you unique? You're going to have to rely on that or start looking for non-traditional jobs. The market seems to be awash with business graduates, and I'm sure they're all applying for the same jobs. Have you thought about looking at the non-profit sector? Yes, it doesn't pay well, but you would get the experience you need. Increasingly, non-profits are turning to business grads to help them maintain their charities. I've often lost a job to someone with a business background because it was more important that the non-profit have someone who could run the organization well and not someone with a non-profit specific background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans