U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 AM

308 posts, read 463,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico82NO View Post
I imagine they really do make a huge difference, but for some of us its not an option.

I for one don't believe in working for free, its too close to slavery. Likewise finding an internship that has some semblance of your degree and hopeful career choice that also coincides with a full time work schedule is difficult if not impossible when you still must make time for class and studying.

I found this out myself. With no one cooking, cleaning, etc. for me, or paying my bills, my days ended up waking at 7, work at 8, work all day till 5, race to class for 545, sit there for a few hours, go home and cook, eat, shower, then laundry and cleaning, or studying if need be, then off to sleep around 1am for a few hours to get up and do it all over again. There was hardly ever time for me to find an internship that would allow me to serve them between the hours of 1am and 7am. Oh thats right I was sleeping then.

I'm pretty sure my school wouldn't except credit for a paid internship, and on a similar note I doubt any internship would have paid. If they did I'm sure it would have been insufficient to cover my rent, utilities, car payment, insurance, gas, food, cell bill, cable and internet, credit card payments, savings, and recreation(as much as I could afford time wise). I hardly feel any experience I would have gotten would have been rewarded at this point, in a financial manner, sufficient to clear my defaulted credit card debt and resurrect me from death from starvation. Or even compensate for the time spent homeless camped out in the truck that the bank would have been attempting to repossess.

Its all one big catch 22.

I need money to live, so I work. I need a better job to live more comfortably, so I go to school. I need experience to get that job out of school, so I take an internship. The internship schedule and my full time jobs schedule don't coincide, so I quit work. I don't earn money, so I am evicted and my possessions are repossessed. My credit is ruined, so no organization will lend for tuition. My schedule is purged because I don't pay tuition. Now I'm in the exact opposite place school was supposed to put me.

Or I don't take the internship and keep my job. I graduate to find that no one will hire me. I'm back where I started, but now with way more debt than I went in with.

Best case scenario... I take an internship my very last semester and quit my job. I live off of student loans and pizza delivery wages part time for 3-4 months. I graduate and that internship turns into a full time position immediately, paying a salary way more than the 50k I was writing about in earlier posts. My career takes off and I live comfortably. < does this really happen to anyone anymore after college? The stories I keep hearing make that scenario sound like a fairy tale.

Back on topic... What about finding jobs here?
That is why you cannot find a job. You have to work like a slave to get experience and earn recommendations. I worked 3 internships while in school obtaining my MST and it afforded me networks that allowed me a great paying job.

Reality is life is hard and the old adage holds true... Beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited by dgthree; 03-09-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,680,634 times
While true, at least 3 other Louisiana cities/areas made forbes top cities for jobs list, including shreveport/Bossier/ Lafayette, and Baton rouge, so if you have to look elsewhere, at least you dont have to move far from Nola.
In Depth: Best Mid-Sized Cities For Jobs - No. 3: Lafayette, La. - Forbes.com

Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 26,284 times
Nola is not the best place to start a IT career. Jobs out here are more likely "housekeeper" kind of job . But whatever low paying internship will help too if you still want to keep a foot in the filed.

I was in the same boat 8 years ago when I graduate with Master in C.S. from a reputable research university and that was during the dot com bubble bursting, my research project is not practically related to the industry. I have seem some of my friends land on 70K paycheck right out of school thru networking ,interning or on campus job fair and I have also seen some struggling with non paying entry level jobs, but it all turned out well after 2 years after changing several jobs and upping the notch every time. I switch track to online business which is more of a business than a IT career. Entrepreneurship definitely the right thing for me when I look back. So keep your spirit high and don't let the negativity bog you down.You will find your place before long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans