Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times

Advertisements

Good morning,
I know there are quite a few older threads about the commute from the Northshore but I'm hoping for some feedback on the current drive times given the bridge/flood wall construction.

I have been offered a great job in New Orleans and would love to accept but I have two elementary age children. From what I've been told and read on here, the North Shore (and especially Mandeville) would be our best option for safe, top notch elementary schools since it is too late to get them into any Charter schools for next year. (Any good ones in the city other than charter or private that I don't know about?)

If we live in Mandeville, what is the average commute time to the Central Business District during the peak traffic times? I would be working either 8-4:30 or 9-5. I have read that I can expect 1 hour into the city and 1.5-2 hours on the way back across the Causeway. Is this true? For those who may drive this every day I'd love to hear what your commute is like.

Thanks so much to everyone who is willing to share any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:59 AM

327 posts, read 603,185 times
Getting into the CBD in the morning is usually a little easier than getting out in the afternoon. You're looking at about a 40-50 min commute in the morning, and possibly up to an hour & 15 min commute in the afternoon. If you work 8-4:30, you will be able to get out a little faster because when 5:00 rolls around, traffic is stacked on I-10 from the CBD through Metairie. Fortunately, the floodwall construction on the Causeway isn't having as much as an impact as originally thought. At least not so far. They've been good about doing their construction during off-peak traffic hours and adjusting the traffic lights accordingly. You might also want to consider the Slidell area as well as it is in St. Tammany Parish as well.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info Vorpal. That seems like a bit more of a commute than I could put up with for long. Too bad as I really love the city. I wish the public schools were better so it was possible to live in Orleans parish and not have to pay a ton of money for private school.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:01 PM

145 posts, read 625,296 times
Check out Jefferson Parish (Metairie, Kenner, and Westbank). You'll have a shorter commute and better schools.

If you do live in Orleans Parish, don't let the cost of schools scare you. The average tuition for parochial school is $7000 per year. Consider that gas is pushing $3.50/gallon, it's a 50-mile roundtrip across the Causeway with a $3 toll and no free parking in the CBD (minimum $3/day). You may as well live in the city and pay for parochial school. The schools have arranged for local banks to make low- to no-interest loans so that parents can pay for tuition in monthly installments.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Sadly, I decided to decline the offer. I'll have to settle for visiting the city for now and maybe move down later in life.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM

145 posts, read 625,296 times
Too bad. Since New Orleans is supposedly the #1 worst city for jobs, maybe you could let everyone know which local company is hiring and for what.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 11,059 times
Good day all.

To follow on JGBigGreen's post...I'm on my way to NOLA as well and will be working in the harbour. Was looking at staying in Mandeville/Covington etc...

What is the travel/commute time and would somewhere like Harahan possibly be a better option?

rgds

Old 03-12-2011, 05:20 AM

327 posts, read 603,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfJnr View Post
Good day all.

To follow on JGBigGreen's post...I'm on my way to NOLA as well and will be working in the harbour. Was looking at staying in Mandeville/Covington etc...

What is the travel/commute time and would somewhere like Harahan possibly be a better option?

rgds
Commute times are about the same for the CBD. Harahan would certainly be a shorter commute. Probably about 20-30 mins during peak traffic conditions. 15 mins with no traffic. You'll have to cross the Huey P. Long bridge to get to the city and they've been widening the lanes on that bridge for....forever. So you may want to check the construction schedule on the bridge for delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans