U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM

640 posts, read 1,057,993 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people in this city do think neighborhoods near claiborne downtown is definitely a no go. I love downtown neighborhoods below saint claude or following Esplanade all the way to City Park. While I am not personally scared of living in those areas, some people are. I wouldn't live over there however because I wouldn't like the constant tourists etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,339,620 times
Most people don't realize that any area of New Orleans can go from being the nicest to the worst in all of 2 blocks.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM

194 posts, read 491,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Most people don't realize that any area of New Orleans can go from being the nicest to the worst in all of 2 blocks.
I keep hearing this, and I heard it in Atlanta, too, where I'm originally from. I don't think it's as true in either place as people make it out to be. I just don't see it, other than the fact that the "good" neighborhoods have to end somewhere. Maybe it's because these are the only two large cities I'm intimately familiar with. Both are, admittedly, relatively small for being "major cities", so maybe that's a factor. Perhaps "normal?" cities are different. No matter what, I think it's important to learn the "boundaries" wherever you may live.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
I keep hearing this, and I heard it in Atlanta, too, where I'm originally from. I don't think it's as true in either place as people make it out to be. I just don't see it, other than the fact that the "good" neighborhoods have to end somewhere. Maybe it's because these are the only two large cities I'm intimately familiar with. Both are, admittedly, relatively small for being "major cities", so maybe that's a factor. Perhaps "normal?" cities are different. No matter what, I think it's important to learn the "boundaries" wherever you may live.
It is an exaggeration, but unlike a lot of cities where "this side is good and that side is bad", New Orleans tends to be a checkerboard where good and bad can be anywhere i any order.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,283 times
New Orleans is a city unlike most where the good places are mixed and with the bad, and you can have a crack house a few blocks from a $500,000+ house or mansion. Most African Americans uptown lived in the projects, while most of the actual neighborhoods uptown were populated by caucasians, while the majority of downtown was populated by african americans, downtown had middle class black areas, rich black areas, and poor black areas. The reason why downtown people don't really rep downtown as much as uptown people do, to us it redundant.(We are the original inhabitants) Even historically most people downtown spoke French are mostly descendants of that go way back to the 1700's and before), and most people uptown spoke english, and it's been a bit of rivalry ever since(Most uptown residents moved to the city in the 19th & 20th centuries). Even till this day, most transplants move uptown.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It is an exaggeration, but unlike a lot of cities where "this side is good and that side is bad", New Orleans tends to be a checkerboard where good and bad can be anywhere i any order.
Very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Central City (Uptown) is probably still the worst neighborhood in the city, even with the projects torn down...
Don't know about that, truth be told, there really is no high concetration of crime in New Orleans anymore, in the 2000's it was uptown(calliope,melph, magnolia ofcourse), and in the late 80's/90's it was the 9th w/d(desire housing projects)

Crime is really alot less concentrated, and alot more spread out now, especially since they're transplants who've moved into hoods that were bad so to speak before the storm. I think we'll see white flight in reverse in alot of major cities over the next 5-10 years.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

640 posts, read 1,057,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown504 View Post
New Orleans is a city unlike most where the good places are mixed and with the bad, and you can have a crack house a few blocks from a $500,000+ house or mansion. Most African Americans uptown lived in the projects, while most of the actual neighborhoods uptown were populated by caucasians, while the majority of downtown was populated by african americans, downtown had middle class black areas, rich black areas, and poor black areas. The reason why downtown people don't really rep downtown as much as uptown people do, to us it redundant.(We are the original inhabitants) Even historically most people downtown spoke French are mostly descendants of that go way back to the 1700's and before), and most people uptown spoke english, and it's been a bit of rivalry ever since(Most uptown residents moved to the city in the 19th & 20th centuries). Even till this day, most transplants move uptown.
I think downtown has a much higher amount of transplants than uptown. Historically, yes, uptown was full of American immigrants, but 200 years later I think most transplants choose downtown to be closer to the French Quarter. In reality, downtown is really only the Marigny, Bywater, and 9th Ward. The rest of the city, above St. Claude, is historically considered "back of town".

Old 03-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I think downtown has a much higher amount of transplants than uptown. Historically, yes, uptown was full of American immigrants, but 200 years later I think most transplants choose downtown to be closer to the French Quarter. In reality, downtown is really only the Marigny, Bywater, and 9th Ward. The rest of the city, above St. Claude, is historically considered "back of town".
That's another thing. The definition of Uptown/Downtown varies from person to person. To some Uptown is specifically the neighborhood district of uptown, while to others anything above (south of) Canal St is Uptown and anything below (north of) Canal is downtown. Then others refer to the traditional below Canal and in front of St. Claude as downtown. Some consider just the CBD as downtown.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM

314 posts, read 661,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Yea, you'd think that Uptown was Vietnam with how the rappers spoke of the raging shootouts, drug hustling and other criminality that went on but they were speaking about that from the perspective of the Uptown ghetto. I don't think Uptown will have any ghettos no more since Magnolia and Calliope are gone (and I think Melph will go soon) and they're trying to revitalize many of the Uptown 'hoods.
Exactly...I kind of assumed Uptown to be one big cluster of projects/hoods cause due to the way NO rappers have always repped the area...I wish the violence of that section of the city(really the whole town) was a thing of the past though I doubt it considering I check out NO's news online every now and then and as of late there seems like their is atleast one of if not more murders per day Unfortunately I'm sure some of those are Uptown and and in the ghetto.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Exactly...I kind of assumed Uptown to be one big cluster of projects/hoods cause due to the way NO rappers have always repped the area...I wish the violence of that section of the city(really the whole town) was a thing of the past though I doubt it considering
The rappers only really rapped about the projects. You can't make half of a city into something because someone raps about "Mac, Melph, Calliope". With the occasional Hollygrove or ward mention, that was really 3 small areas of a large chunk of the city.

Quote:
I check out NO's news online every now and then and as of late there seems like their is atleast one of if not more murders per day Unfortunately I'm sure some of those are Uptown and and in the ghetto.
Not really.. Maybe one every few days or every week, sad as that is, but def. not per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans