U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 26,049 times

Advertisements

sometimes, i browse this forum, and all anyone recommends or even mentions are neighborhoods uptown. parts of 7th ward, marigny/bywater, upper 9th, st roch, holy cross are all great neighborhoods. sure, there's crime, but if you're not in the game and not flashy with money, it's unlikely that you'll be targeted. of course most of these spots are not ideal for families, save the spots near the river (and yes i include holy cross), but i see folks in the forums recommending uptown exclusively to people my age (26) and younger. uptown is so boring, imho! downtown has more grit, sure, but it has authentic art scenes with some of the best (and most varied) live music in the city. don't wanna seem rude, as magazine and lgd in general are very cool, just wondering if people here think a neighborhood near claiborne downtown is a "never go" area. lastly, i am super sad, as is everyone, that miss mae's upped their prices! this and a few others on magazine are super-fun and affordable. cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM

314 posts, read 660,369 times
Personally I found it shocking that Uptown was viewed as the nicest part of New Orleans by locals since for the longest times so many NO rappers have portrayed the UPT as project infested warzone.

Last edited by brother's keeper; 03-04-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 AM

194 posts, read 490,724 times
I always recommend that people do what we did, which is get a short-term lease when they first get here, and then do a lot of exploring to see which area(s) they like. Everyone perceives things differently and everyone has their own preferences, so there is no "one good area" that everyone will agree on. Variety make this city one of the best places in the world, imo...

Old 03-04-2011, 02:13 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,048,583 times
I'd love to live in the Marigny or the Bywater...but the Rouses, and all the shops are Uptown...I don't want to leave all that easy to get to convenience.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 PM

14,198 posts, read 20,539,022 times
How many places are there to live downtown?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:15 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,332,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How many places are there to live downtown?
Downtown is almost half of New Orleans. Uptown is almost the other half. Then you have the East and across the river the Westbank.

Each section has it's good and bad parts. Uptown just happens to be where most transplants locate. Downtown attracts locals and "trendy, and bohemian" types.

Downtown consists of the CBD, French Quarter, Marigny, Bywater, 7th Ward, Treme, Bayou St. John, St. Roch, 9th Ward and so on. 4th-9th wards are downtown.

Uptown is the Garden District, Irish Channel, Black Pearl, Gert Town, Hollygrove, Pigeon Town, Marleyville, Central City, etc. 1st-3rd, 10th-14th, and 16th-17th wards.

Then you have Lakeshore and the marina and condos, Lakeview, West End, Pontchartrain Park, Gentilly and so on, which are just kind of in between and off to the side.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 03-04-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 PM

194 posts, read 490,724 times
I live in Riverbend, which is my absolute favorite part of town right now, but I could happily live in a lot of different areas - among them are: FQ (the more residential parts), Treme, Algiers Point, Bayou St. John, Mid-City, the CBD and Broadmoor. Marigny is nice, but too bohemian for me on a day-to-day basis. I admit to being quite unfamiliar with Bywater and anything on the other side of the canal (9th ward, etc.) I've also seen parts of what I think was the 7th ward that I liked, as well as Gentilly, but I almost feel a psychological need to be near the river. I just love it! I know there are some nice areas closer to the lake, but I'm just not a lake gal. And forget the suburbs - NOT my thing. Although, if I had to live outside Orleans Parish, it would be in Old Jefferson right by the river.

There are lots of "non-Uptown" areas of this city that I would live in before I'd move anywhere else!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM

3,303 posts, read 6,272,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Personally I found it shocking that Uptown was viewed as the nicest part of New Orleans by locals since for the longest times so many NO rappers have portrayed the UPT as project infested warzone.
Yea, you'd think that Uptown was Vietnam with how the rappers spoke of the raging shootouts, drug hustling and other criminality that went on but they were speaking about that from the perspective of the Uptown ghetto. I don't think Uptown will have any ghettos no more since Magnolia and Calliope are gone (and I think Melph will go soon) and they're trying to revitalize many of the Uptown 'hoods.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 PM

145 posts, read 578,154 times
It seems that those who live in the downtown neighborhoods either hate where they live or have the best kept secret, because they never recommend those areas. Maybe they just don't use city-data.

I, personally, would love to hear 1st-hand experiences about other areas besides Uptown, especially the more affordable alternatives.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,127,959 times
Central City (Uptown) is probably still the worst neighborhood in the city, even with the projects torn down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans