Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:06 PM

12 posts, read 53,078 times

Advertisements

I would like to have New Orlenians' point of view on the evolution of crime through out the city since hurricane Katrina.... Do you think the post-Katrina changes (demographics, jobs, education, administration, etc.) have an impact on crime and fear of crime? I want to have New Orlenians' sights on that... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
My son just returned from visiting my cousin in New Orleans-he owns a bar and according to him a lot of their problems now reside in Houston and that's just fine for him!!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 53,078 times
Do you mean there's been a migration in crime? from New Orleans to Houston?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
I have lived in New Orleans for many years.

The crime situation here has always been bad, and after Katrina it got much worse. I think it is starting to level out; time will tell.

New Orleans has so many positive attributes, but like any place it is a mixture of plusses and minuses. Crime is one of the worst of those minuses. The crime situation here is not good. Those of us who choose to stay manage to bear it, because the city has so much to offer. Otherwise many of us would leave.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
A lot of the poorer peole were evacuated by bus to Houston. Many stayed and Houston blamed thier rise in crime on the evacuees. Don'tr know how many came back, I suspect a good number.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
A lot of the poorer peole were evacuated by bus to Houston. Many stayed and Houston blamed thier rise in crime on the evacuees. Don'tr know how many came back, I suspect a good number.
Yes, Houston blamed their sharp peak in crime on the Katrina evacuees. They wailed long and loud.

At the same time, people in New Orleans blamed OUR even worse sharp peak in crime on Houstonians that came here in droves at that time (either to seek their fortunes through carpetbagger type trickery and so on, or with returning evacuees for joint criminal ventures). We sent you ours, you sent us yours. When criminals from both cities joined forces, both cities suffered.

It's easy to cast blame, harder to deal with crime problems.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,635 times
People like to deny it, because they love the city, but the truth is that it's all but out of control. Average 3 or 4 shotings a day. Not uncomin 10 or 15 in a weekend, it just depends on how good of aim they have to count the death toll.
Just about 90% black on black and mostly drug related. I heard a police official say 70% of the time the shoters know each other. That doesn't mean that a dope headed gang banger wont shot you or a family member if they need money to get some dope or just because. Stay vigilant the cops are mainly there to fill out the report after the fact.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Some of the gangs from New Orleans ended up in Houston and Atlanta. The New Orleans gangs actually scared the gangs in Atlanta and Houston.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
One thing to think about it this. New Orleans has been under Code Napoleon. Part of the reason for a phenomenon called "the 60 day murder". At least in New Orleans, you have to be indicted for a crime within 60 days or you get set free from prison. This has often meant some murderers have gotten back on the street to kill again.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:58 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Some of the gangs from New Orleans ended up in Houston and Atlanta. The New Orleans gangs actually scared the gangs in Atlanta and Houston.
They didn't scare the West Bank gangs, but it's been a bloody ordeal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans