U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 16,495 times

Advertisements

I will (probably) be coming to New Orleans going to grad school at UNO for graduate school and, though visiting many times, I am wondering from a student prospective where affordable housing is?

I don't mind taking public transit, walking, biking, etc, but I am on a student sized budget. I was told that many students live in the Garden and Warehouse District, but do wonder how the neighborhoods surrounding UNO are since they are much closer?

Any information is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:57 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,210,193 times
What is affordable? $600? $800? $1000? That means different things to different people.

I'm a UNO grad and I can tell you that UNO is pretty far away from all the fun stuff in Mid-City, Uptown, French Quarter, Marigny,etc. The area within 2 miles of UNO's campus is very suburban, and there's not much to do. UNO was more of a commuter school, but that has changed somewhat in the last 10 years. There are more dorms and more students living on campus.

If you don't want to live on campus, there are some students that live in the surrounding area around Robert E. Lee and Elysian Fields, but again, it's very suburban and there's just a few ammenities on Elysian Fields right outside of campus. This might be okay with you, and it might not.

Most students who live in the Garden District or Uptown, go to Tulane or Loyola as they are very close by. These are great areas for students, but they are 7+ miles from UNO's campus with lots of traffic in between.

Are you planning on having a car? If you're not going to live close to UNO, you're going to need a car, (That is unless you're comfortable riding 8-10 miles everyday. Maybe, maybe not. I'd hate to discourage cycling if that's what you're used to) If you're going to have a car then you might as well live in a more interesting area.

Mid-City and the Marigny/Bywater would be the two closest and easily accessable areas(~4mi) to UNO. The Marigny/Bywater is a hip neighborhood with a definate bohemian vibe. Mid-City is a little more diverse, with lots of bars and restaurants and also late night transportation downtown (Canal St. streetcar)

The Uptown area is also an option as it is crawling with students and has lots things for students to do, but you're going to have a harder time getting out to UNO everyday.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 16,495 times
Well, I'd like to spend max $800/month on rent and utilities and I am planning on bringing my car.

With a car, where are these "interesting places" you are talking about? As I said, I really don't mind having to take public transit.

I do appreciate the neighborhood tips though!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,438,458 times
Public transit in N.O. sucks, basically, except the streetcar and it only runs a restricted route.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,746,491 times
Mid-City is probably a fairly good option. Gets you close enough to the Quarter, Uptown area, etc., but I just moved from an area close to Tulane and the traffic there is an absolute nightmare. If you have a car, Mid-City is a short drive away from UNO, traffic isn't really an issue, and if you want to head to the quarter or Uptown, the Canal Streetcar will put you there in minutes. Also, Mid-City is one of the cheapest areas of the city to live in, as far as the walkable, reasonably safe areas go.

Just as an idea of cost, I just moved from a 1br in the university area that cost $765 a month; in that area of town, you'll be lucky to find a studio for less than $600 unless you're okay with faulty electrical systems and that kind of stuff.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,210,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewesguy2007 View Post
With a car, where are these "interesting places" you are talking about? As I said, I really don't mind having to take public transit.
When I say "interesting", I mean lots of old houses/buildings with beautiful architecture. I mean an area that is relatively safe to walk around in and has an abundance of bars, restaurants, shopping, park space etc. that you don’t have to climb in the car to get to.

Mid-City has all of that at a reasonable price. The Marigny/Bywater area also has most of that plus its right next to the French Quarter, but it is more of a bohemian area. That may be your thing, maybe not. Uptown definitely has all this plus some, but as lewesguy2007 said, it can be hard to access other parts of the city from there and it can be pricey.

As far as transit goes, the buses are faster, but they are very infrequent and most don’t run past 9pm. The streetcar lines are a little slower, but they run almost all night and are much more frequent. Just a heads up that if you see a place that’s next to a bus line, that bus probably comes by once every hour and only does so from 6am-9pm.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 AM

194 posts, read 526,167 times
I think a good "compromise" would definitely be Mid-City. It's fun enough and not too far from UNO. Rent is cheaper than Uptown, although I live in a tiny apartment Uptown for $525/mo including water. I would totally live in Mid-City if I didn't love being near the river so much.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM

152 posts, read 460,464 times
What "students budget" can afford 800/mo?! Dang man I need to meet your financial aid advisor. How much of your monthly budget does that eat up? I should go back to grad school too! That's like twice my share of rent and I'm looking for cheaper. Id kill to live in and afford an 800/mo apartment, literally. I'm really startingto get the feeling I'm majorly underpaid, not to mention this citys COL is taking off like a rocket. I'm thinking soon enough, if I don't get a raise, I won't be able to afford to work here. That's right, WORK here, not just live here.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
I think a good "compromise" would definitely be Mid-City. It's fun enough and not too far from UNO. Rent is cheaper than Uptown, although I live in a tiny apartment Uptown for $525/mo including water. I would totally live in Mid-City if I didn't love being near the river so much.

What's the name of this place? And anything near it? I'm 24 and looking for a 1 bedroom around $700-800

Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM

37 posts, read 107,336 times
If you will be at UNO, I would suggest living within a few blocks from campus. It's cheaper out that way, and you'll be near a lot of fellow students. It's not an exciting part of town, though. I was living in Mid City when I went to UNO, but New Orleans was a lot cheaper back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans