Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times

Advertisements

Moving to Nola is always on my mind since my last visit. I could really get used to looking forward to the Jazz fest every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM

194 posts, read 545,130 times
I think you should come for another visit soon, maybe do a short-term rental, like you said. I'm 38, nowhere near retirement, but here's my story anyway: I fell in love with New Orleans three years ago. After a couple of visits I thought my love for it was off the charts, but I've lived here for a year now and I realize I knew almost nothing back when I was just getting to know the city. That was "puppy love" compared to my absolute devotion to this place now! The week does not pass that I don't find something else amazing! My husband and I are ecstatically happy here...

I would say the biggest drawback for most people would be the heat. I grew up in Atlanta, so it's no big deal for me. As far as evacuating - I know it's going to happen sometimes, and we're financially and logistically prepared, but I've spoken with many lifelong residents, and it's certainly not something that happens every year, much less several times a year on a regular basis. There are particularly difficult storm seasons, and if you never want to deal with it this is certainly not the place for you. It's just not like you're always going to be worried about evacuating.

As far as flood insurance, the rates vary greatly depending on the area of the city you're in. Many areas are quite affordable. Btw, "affordable" can mean very different things depending on where a person is from. The cost of living in L.A. and NYC is much higher than here. People who are used to those prices think the prices are very cheap here.

Crime? It's a city. There are drug-infested areas. There's a high murder rate in those areas. It's a problem that needs to be dealt with on many levels. However, there's very little "random" violent crime, maybe even less than in a lot of large cities. There are many wonderful neighborhoods and a lot of great people.

So much depends on perspective and personal preference. No city or area is right for everyone. If you feel that "pull", however, I think you should come on back down and look at New Orleans with an eye toward moving here.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM

96 posts, read 314,530 times
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time out to reply. I have given all of the comments a lot of thought. I appreciate people who have been encouraging, honest, realistic, etc.

Thepointykitty...I do not know your name, so please forgive me for addressing you by your screen name. Your post has been most encouraging and I thank you for that. I hear what you are saying and yes, I completely understand where you are coming from. Truthfully, I wish my prior experiences with NOLA had been as positive as my last one because like you, I likely would have moved there at a much younger age-smile.

My prior experiences, all pre-Katrina had more to do with MY state-of-mind during the visits and NOT NOLA in and of itself. There was something about the town this time that really grabbed at me and no, I do not wear rose-colored glasses (as someone told me in another post-smile). Actually, I tend to be a realist and I lean towards the pessimistic side-lolol.

As I told another poster, my husband John and I do not see ourselves as "typical" retirees (if there is such a thing...don't want to stereotype), as we are both on the young-ish side, though that is relative! We will likely both pursue some form of work wherever we land (he most likely coming back to Southeast Michigan on a contractual basis, me doing something in the teaching, Hospice or health care field).

I absolutely loved the people in NOLA during our last trip, I really did. I felt such a good vibe from most people, as there seemed to be something so genuinely kind, humble, caring, compassionate and LAID BACK about the folks we met (coming from an East Coast point of view, I imagine everyone can seem more laid back). John and I also loved the town because in many ways, it was entirely reminiscent of an "earlier" New York City just...way smaller, way slower (of course), more affordable, etc. It was wonderful.

For example, the entire French Quarter reminded us so much of the bohemian East & West Villages in New York City. Bourbon Street felt a lot like Times Square in the "older" days-smile. Parts of Royal Street felt like trolling the antique shops on Lexington Avenue, the River Walk felt like the South Street Sea Port area and Decatur Street felt almost like Seventh Avenue (minus Macy's-smile). And Tchoupitoulas Street...wow...it felt like a little slice of Tribeca or SoHo...Tchoupitoulas Street was great and our favorite spot!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:14 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post

For example, the entire French Quarter reminded us so much of the bohemian East & West Villages in New York City. Bourbon Street felt a lot like Times Square in the "older" days-smile. Parts of Royal Street felt like trolling the antique shops on Lexington Avenue, the River Walk felt like the South Street Sea Port area and Decatur Street felt almost like Seventh Avenue (minus Macy's-smile). And Tchoupitoulas Street...wow...it felt like a little slice of Tribeca or SoHo...Tchoupitoulas Street was great and our favorite spot!!!
You're the second person I've heard compare Tchoupitoulas Street to TriBeCa---good eye!

I agree with what others say about crime in New Orleans--sure, it's bad, but random crime against innocents is quite rare. Nearly all homicides are gang or drug-related. One important caveat is that, unlike many other cities, New Orleans doesn't really have a clearly defined "bad" part of town. You could live in a wonderful area and chances are you will still be at least eight blocks away from a ghetto. The only neighborhood that is consistently isolated from major crimes is probably Lakeview, and it's only a fraction the size it was before, due to Katrina flooding. Also, Lakeview looks pretty much like a 1970s/1980s suburb. It's not bad, but doesn't really capture the flavor of what attracts people to New Orleans. Not a lot of tourists in Lakeview.

If you are fine with heat and humidity (and a surprising number of people are), you should have no problem in New Orleans. I dreaded it when I first knew I'd be relocating there, but it ended up being fine and I got used to it.

Car insurance is very expensive in New Orleans. While public transportation in the city is better than most other southern cities (it's a much more walkable city overall), it's still not very common for people to ditch the car altogether. Almost everyone I know owned a car in New Orleans.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM

96 posts, read 314,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
You're the second person I've heard compare Tchoupitoulas Street to TriBeCa---good eye!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Car insurance is very expensive in New Orleans. While public transportation in the city is better than most other southern cities (it's a much more walkable city overall), it's still not very common for people to ditch the car altogether. Almost everyone I know owned a car in New Orleans.
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, Tchoupitoulas Street was very enjoyable and it brought back lots of good memories. You and many others have pointed out that unlike a lot of big cities (New York City included), New Orleans doesn't have clearly "defined" neighborhood borders, etc...safe or not, good or bad, etc. I guess like so many other folks, safety is a pretty big factor for me especially 'cause I'm not getting any younger-smile-not as tough as I used to be! But "borders" can give one a false sense of security.

I owned a car for the entire time I lived in NYC and only had problems a few times. Stolen stuff from the glove box, smashed glass, etc. Always owned fairly older cars to discourage petty theft. Just before moving from NYC to Michigan, someone attempted to steal my very old Saab...but it stalled.

Having said that, you would not believe what we are paying for auto insurance here in southeast Michigan...the cost is astronomical!

Thanks again for the reply...I appreciate it!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
The only thing I'd worry about with you is this: It might seem like only an inconvenience to evacuate now when you are in your 50's, but I'm concerned for your well-being during a storm that could come 30-40 years from now when you are 90 and can no longer handle an evacuation on your own.

Most of the very elderly in New Orleans have family in the area they can rely on to make sure they are safely evacuated, but being far from family could complicate things for you if another Katrina comes along and a mandatory evacuation is issued.

But then again, millions of ancient snowbirds live along the coasts in Florida and face the threat of hurricanes just as often as NOLA, and they get along just fine.

Best of luck in your decision making.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:20 PM

497 posts, read 969,012 times
I left NO 30 years ago and now think about retiring there. When I lived there for 27 years, I experienced 2 stolen cars, wife assaulted and a drug crazed addict that broke into our house when we were there(long story,fortunately only the addict got hurt), not to mention friends with their own stories. It is absolutely correct that there are no totally safe areas to live in, yet that question keeps coming up here, as if there is some hidden totally safe zone. Drive around within a 6 blocks area where you are considering living. You can be on a great "safe" street and 3 blocks away is a crack house. My son now lives there and we were just in for a visit. His neighborhood (Lasalle St) had 2 drive-by murders in 2 weeks. I left with two young sons after the break-in and would not recommend to anyone that they raise children in inner city NO. BUT, there is a mystic and charm that draws you back. My son was 6 months old when the break-in occurred and now he wants to live there. I know NO very well, and continue to come back yearly, my parents are buried there. Thinking about living there again keeps come back to me, then I think about the down side. It would be an old adventure relived, but I don't think my wife would manage it well. So, we'll probably keep coming back for visits. We had many many great times there, and it is a fantastic city.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
One thing you will find about New Orleans that you don't see in other cities is that we have friends and family all over the place.

It's not uncommon to run into friends or family members in Kenner, St. Benard, the West Bank, New Orleans, Jefferson Parish, the North Shore, etc.

In fact it's not uncommon to run into family or friends on the Mississippi Coast, Gulf Shores AL, or even the Florida panhandle. We've even ran into my sons teacher when in Miami.

People here know everyone and you will also find that you will be invited to parties by complete strangers just by running into them on the streets.

And don't be shocked when you run into a Yat and he addresses you as Where Yat Baby. He's not hitting on you just saying hello New Orleans style.

How ta tawk rite

To bad you guys couldn't make it here this weekend for the French Quarter Fest to try all the awesome food being served.

Ciao
busta

Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Louisiana in general is a great place to retire because of dirt cheap property taxes. Though I am very far off from retirement, when the time comes I will seriously consider it.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,023 times
My Husband and I had wanted to go since college. We visited just before this years Madi Gras and fell madly in love with the Cresent City. We too are seriously thinking about retiring there. We live in New York City in the heart of Chelsea. We 100% agree that the French Quarter reminds us of the way the East and West Village used too be. Now sadly they are peppered with GAP, Starbucks, Subway, etc. We loved the mom and pops shops and restaurants. We feel its more alive than any other city, with its food, music, art, and cool/friendly people. We are thinking of Marigy, Fauburg, Garden District,Uptown, Metairie, Audobon/Unviversity District, and Arts District.Please respond with any advice, Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans