Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 8,852 times

Advertisements

I may have a job offer that will relocate me to New Orleans. While I'm excited about the prospect, I want to make sure that it's a good move for my family. We're a lesbian family with you a toddler daughter. We're also African-American.We began our family in Dallas and have been living in the NYC area. We really want to move to a quieter, slower paced area with a better cost of living and opportunities. At the same time, we don't want to put our family and daughter in a situation to be ostracized or ridiculed.

We prefer to live in a mixed, middle-class neighborhood. We also will need to enroll our daughter in a daycare/preschool and want to make sure that we'll be welcome as a family. We found a few parochial schools with preschools but not sure if "our kind of family" would be accepted.

Can any folks, gay or straight, shed some light about the experiences of gay families in New Orleans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
Just wanted to share this site with you: Gay and Lesbian Yellow Pages: Community Resources New Orleans

My SIL and her wife are currently raising two wonderful children and I haven't heard any ugly experience stories out of them or heard of anything ugly with the kids. I will say that I was told that they are careful about PDA (public displays of affection) and are pretty active in a local support group, (I can't remember what it's called, although you'd think that after making 100 candies with the logo I'd remember what it was. I'll make a phone call this evening and get it for you.) Best wishes!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
The city is pretty tolerant compared to the swath of deep south that surrounds it. My area, Mid-City, has a lot of what you're looking for (middle class/racially mixed/gay and straight), as well as areas of parts of Uptown. I have neighbors who are in the exact same situation and love where they are. I would try to avoid the suburbs though, it gets very conservative once you leave the city core.

Last edited by rburnett; 04-18-2011 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks so much for the info so far. We're not very much into PDA beyond what other adult coupled do- hold hands occasionally, etc. I see what you mean though.

What is the school situation like for same sex families? Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
Oops forgot to call yesterday, so I called today. The group is called Colage, COLAGE: People with a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or ***** Parent. They seem to enjoy it a lot. I don't really know about the school situation because they moved a couple hours (rural area), away after the storm and so the kids go to school in another district. I have to say that they seem pleased with the current school and have had no problems.

To be honest I really don't think you are going to have many problems here. New Orleans is a live and let live sort of place. Best wishes

Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks again for the info. My wife called one of the Catholic schools that we are interested in and was upfront about our family make-up. They were very nice and said it wasn't a problem at all. They're sending us the application and we'll go on a visit to the school if I get the job!

You all have been extremely helpful and have assuaged my fears.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2011, 03:52 PM

406 posts, read 625,438 times
My experience with gay couples is very limited but I don't think it would be a problem in a city like New Orleans. We of our son's classmates in preschool is the product of gay family (african males). It doesn't seem like a big deal. One dad picks him up and another dad drops him off.

What do you consider "middle class"? Can you give us an idea? This may help individuals help you pick out a neighborhood that is open to different lifestyles.

I hope you choose our city as your next home. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: