Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,664 times

Advertisements

I am a recently divorced mother of two and we want to move to New Orleans. We are not sure where a safe place will be to live. I still have one in junior/middle school and would like him to be in good and safe school. I will also be needing to find a job once I get there any help on that would be great. We are looking for a 3br and a place that will take animals.

We are really excited about our move this summer and can't wait to see the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,334,015 times
Single Mom with teenage boys , moving to New Orleans , with no knowledge of the city , and no job prospect ? How many things can go wrong here ?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM

194 posts, read 543,308 times
I will assume that the OP and her family have their reasons for choosing to move here, and that they do have some knowledge of the city and just want locals' recommendations on specific neighborhoods.

I don't personally know a lot about specific schools/ school districts. I'm sure there are great threads here on that subject, and I know there are many on neighborhoods in general. From personal experience, I know that the Broadmoor area is really nice and there are a lot of families there. It seems pretty affordable, too. I currently live in Riverbend, which would certainly be pretty pricey for a 3 bdrm, but I don't want to make assumptions about your finances. Mid-City (cheaper) and Bayou St. John (pricier) are great areas, too, and seem to have a lot of families.

What type of work are you looking for?

Old 04-24-2011, 02:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
I will assume that the OP and her family have their reasons for choosing to move here, and that they do have some knowledge of the city and just want locals' recommendations on specific neighborhoods.

I don't personally know a lot about specific schools/ school districts. I'm sure there are great threads here on that subject, and I know there are many on neighborhoods in general. From personal experience, I know that the Broadmoor area is really nice and there are a lot of families there. It seems pretty affordable, too. I currently live in Riverbend, which would certainly be pretty pricey for a 3 bdrm, but I don't want to make assumptions about your finances. Mid-City (cheaper) and Bayou St. John (pricier) are great areas, too, and seem to have a lot of families.

What type of work are you looking for?
I can do just about anything. My reason for moving is because my oldest will be going to college down there in Tuluna. And we just want to be close by. I was there along time ago before Katrina and I fell in the love with the city, the people & the water. Just hope alot has not changed. Thanks for you help

Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,327,704 times
I would definately reccomend Broadmoor. It's a safe area that's reasonably priced and in the middle of everything. You can easily bike to Tulane from there and its less than 2 miles to get downtown. You and your son would have easy commutes.

Look at the area between Fontainbleau Dr. and Claiborne Ave. from Nashville Ave. down to Napolean Ave.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,719 times
I will suggest Jefferson Parish. Good schools compare to New Orleans.
Have your kids tested them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans